User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #46
Cyath OP
Impetulant Ignoramus

Oddometer: 429
Thanks for the continued input!
Yep, the plug was grounded. I've rebuilt a much simpler dirtbike engines and that's the easiest thing to check on those bikes. This plug looks good too, not fouled.
I didn't think to check for the gas smell though, that's a good one. I'll try that tonight.
@max384, you're right, my memory may be fuzzy on that, but I seem to recall that the bike acted like it was disabled until I added fuel. I had a 1200GS and I remember some chatter on here that the bikes won't crank when empty to protect the injectors and fuel pump. That's why I wasn't surprised when the 990 seemed to act that way.
I think I'll also unplug the fuel line from pump tonight to see if it pumps with pressure (found that in another thread).

Cyath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #47
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,071
Ok One more time

When it come to being an Idiot about things ,I have have the tee-shirt, so I'll relate one more that I've done---

If you had the left side tank off, did you make sure that the BMW fuel connector CLICKED TWICE on reassembly ?

I went through this same scenario for 3 days before I tried this.

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #48
Cyath OP
Impetulant Ignoramus

Yes, the quick disconnect was seated properly, but can we all agree that that "quick disconnect" sucks goat balls? Forget that you also have to balance the tank on your knee while you're squatting and reaching over to connect it and the other two electrical connectors.
That fuel connector needs to be replaced with something brass or stainless maybe. What do the Dakar guys use?
Calling CJRacer. That's another thing that I'm sure Craig could improve on.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #49
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyath View Post
Yes, the quick disconnect was seated properly, but can we all agree that that "quick disconnect" sucks goat balls? Forget that you also have to balance the tank on your knee while you're squatting and reaching over to connect it and the other two electrical connectors.
That fuel connector needs to be replaced with something brass or stainless maybe. What do the Dakar guys use?
Calling CJRacer. That's another thing that I'm sure Craig could improve on.
If its the same one BMW uses, its available from an industrial supply like McMaster in the same acetel and also BRASS.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-qu...plings/=l50ibe
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #50
Cyath OP
Impetulant Ignoramus

Well, fuckaduck, I think I have a blown ECU unit, or as the parts microfiche calls it, the Timing Charger EFI.
Went over everything again. Pulled the aft plug again, and it smells of gas. Turn the key, and the fuel pump and the ABS make their respective startup noises. Hit the starter and sonofabitch there IS a spark. Guess I didn't see it in the daylight. I'm glad you guys suggested I check again.
With the plug back in, the bike cranks but doesn't run.
I'm going to call the dealer and see if they can run a diagnostic if I just bring the module to them.
It's only a $525 part.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #51
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Hmm, I would be surprised if it sparked when the ECU is blown..

Have you done a compression test?

You can tell if its firing with a inductive timing light.. It may be the spark goes away when cranking under load.

Dave
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #52
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 514
Might need new inductive pickups? Here's two links to two 990's being parted out in Petaluma & San Leandro.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/3548003754.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/3545569431.html

Good luck , well, better luck anyway...

HeatXfer screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 11:13 PM
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:32 AM   #53
Chewy750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
You say there is a spark, but you didn't see it in daylight, that does sound like the spark may not be sufficient to actually cause ignition (weak spark), so try replacing the plugs (poss not the problem) then check the leads/coils etc, although if you had a 30 amp fuse blow, I would be checking all of the ignition connections. KTM are known for pretty crap connections and something may be earthed or bust causing a poor spark. What colour is the spark? White/Blue or Red/Orange?
Chewy750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #54
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,709
I guess you haven't pinched any wires while puting back crashbars?

It has been reported that happens when reinstalling crashbars.
Cheers.
Clutch master cylinder resleeving
Out of office 25 till 4th August
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #55
FtheRedSticker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I'm not dealing with this problem, but I can't wait to hear what the issue is. I think you've got a lot of great possibilities. I bet a professional Ktm mechanic would know the answer without even looking at your bike.
FtheRedSticker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:03 AM   #56
Cyath OP
Impetulant Ignoramus

Thanks again for everyone's input on this. I'm at my limits of mechanical ability here and I'm taking it in tomorrow.
I'll keep everyone up to date.
Here's what I've been dealing with.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:05 AM   #57
achile
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyath View Post
Thanks again for everyone's input on this. I'm at my limits of mechanical ability here and I'm taking it in tomorrow.
I'll keep everyone up to date.
Here's what I've been dealing with.

So... electric diagram in full color, shop manual(with the troubleshooting chapter open) and a good electrics guy. If everything except the spark is ok, then you must track the ignition circuit. Everything from plug to CDI. Are there any warning lights on?

Dosen't the 990 have a diagnostic computer plug?? don't know about these rocket science bikes...I have a stupid-simple BRP.
achile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:29 AM   #58
Chewy750
Adventurer

Just re-read your original, the starting problem pre dates the battery connection error, so I think the problem is the original not starting issue. In theory the fuse went so there shouldn't (hopefully) be any damage because of that. So question 1, the battery, have you repalced it or just recharged it? If you have access to a new battery then try that, one cell going down can be enough to stop the bike firing. The batteries only last a couple of years and it would cause a weak spark as well. Just a thought
Old 01-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #59
achile
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy750 View Post
Just re-read your original, the starting problem pre dates the battery connection error, so I think the problem is the original not starting issue. In theory the fuse went so there shouldn't (hopefully) be any damage because of that. So question 1, the battery, have you repalced it or just recharged it? If you have access to a new battery then try that, one cell going down can be enough to stop the bike firing. The batteries only last a couple of years and it would cause a weak spark as well. Just a thought
I don't think the battery could be an issue(the starter dies before the spark in case of a empty battery), but just to be on the safe side, connect a car battery.
The engine turns, the injectors work...so the only problem is the ignition. I'd look at the CDI, induction coils and sparkplugs

p.s: There should be a nice, healthy blue spark

achile screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 07:50 AM
achile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #60
Chewy750
Adventurer

+1 on the spark colour