User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #1
TheOtherBart OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,891
Bulk uploading to SmugMug?

I'm looking for a way to back up my digital pictures, so I figured why not support the people who support this fantastic place? So I signed up for a trial and started uploading to get a feel for it. I don't have a huge archive (20,000 files or so) but they're spread across a lot of different folders (whenever I downloaded pictures from the camera it created a new sub-folder).

The question is, how do I get all my files uploaded? I've tried the button in Picasa (which is how I manage my photos locally) but it seems to have a bug that keeps me from staying logged in, so that I have to re-enter my credentials for every single file. The HTML5 drag-and-drop uploader doesn't allow me to drag folders, so that would mean an enormous amount of opening folders to drag the files. The "Send to SmugMug" application looked like the perfect solution because it let me select the top level file and then found all the pictures within all of the subfolders, but it seems to have crapped out after 5000 pictures and then failed the upload the rest. Not a huge deal, I'm happy to do it 5000 at a time, but I don't know which 5000 out of which subfolders were successfully uploaded.

Surely I'm not the only one to come to SmugMug with a library to upload, so what's the secret? I've been going back and forth with the support Heroes, but they haven't been much help.
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,156
Is it possible that your ISP is choking the upload off when the data xfer amount hits a certain size?
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
TheOtherBart OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
Is it possible that your ISP is choking the upload off when the data xfer amount hits a certain size?
That's possible, but it would be quite a coincidence that the data transfer hit a preset limit at exactly 5000 files uploaded, especially since these pictures are of all different sizes/resolutions/file sizes/etc. And it wouldn't explain the problem in Picasa at all.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,853
I am having the same issue, so you are not alone. I have been going through sub-folders and doing the drag and drop thing. I am up to my daughters 4th birthday of picture now that are backed up on SmugMug. She will be seven in March, and I have two other kids...

I need a better way to transfer.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,619
I don't have a problem with Smugmug uploading.

I upload dozens at a time.
IBA #24873
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
TheOtherBart OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
I don't have a problem with Smugmug uploading.

I upload dozens at a time.
Dozens of pictures? Folders? Gigabytes? Which upload method are you using? I can upload dozens at a time too, as long as they're all in a single folder. But I have thousands of pictures, spread across hundreds of subfolders.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #7
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,105
I'd be willing to bet that if you contacted them and put them on cds/dvds they'd get them uploaded into your account without having to transmit over the interwebz.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #8
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,889
There's this form, dgrin.com, that Baldy runs for his smug customers...
Old 01-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
TheOtherBart OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourKraut View Post
I'd be willing to bet that if you contacted them and put them on cds/dvds they'd get them uploaded into your account without having to transmit over the interwebz.
Interesting idea!

I hate to say it but I haven't been too impressed with their tech support so far. The only explanation they could come up with for why things didn't work right with the Picasa button was that Picasa had trouble uploading large numbers of files. That was after I told them that I got a script error every time I clicked the SmugMug button in Picassa before I even got to the login screen, and despite the fact that the problem I was having happened even if I was only uploading six pictures at a time.

Their latest suggestion is to try yet another one of the uploaders. I'll give it a shot tonight, but I don't know how it will handle the fact that 5000 files are already up but I have no way of knowing which 5000 without going through and cataloging them on SM, then sifting through my 20,000 files to find them on the hard drive. If that still doesn't work I'll have to ask about the DVD thing. That would certainly be going above and beyond on their end.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
TheOtherBart OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
There's this form, dgrin.com, that Baldy runs for his smug customers...
I thought that was a photography site, like this is a motorcycle site. I didn't realize it was a SmugMug users forum. I'll go do some cross-posting over there!
Old 01-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #11
TheOtherBart OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBart View Post
I thought that was a photography site, like this is a motorcycle site. I didn't realize it was a SmugMug users forum. I'll go do some cross-posting over there!
I guess posting isn't necessary, I did some quick browsing in the SmugMug support sub-forum and found that there's a limit of 5,000 files per gallery. So that explains why my "Send to SmugMug" crapped out at that point.

It doesn't explain why the last e-mail I got from a tech support Hero didn't point that out after I told them what happened. Instead I was just told to try a different uploader. And I still have no idea which 5000 pictures actually made it. So I guess if I want to use SmugMug I'll need to delete that gallery, figure out a way to parse out my files into smaller chunks, and try again.

Since the primary purpose here is backup it looks like I'd have a much easier time just going with something like Carbonite or SOS.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #12
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,105
Whenever I've mistakenly tried to upload duplicates smugmug has warned me and given the option with a single click to skip duplicates.

But I've kept up with it and never attempted to upload 12 trillion terabytes at once!
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #13
TheOtherBart OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourKraut View Post
Whenever I've mistakenly tried to upload duplicates smugmug has warned me and given the option with a single click to skip duplicates.

But I've kept up with it and never attempted to upload 12 trillion terabytes at once!
Hey now, it's only 47.1 gigabytes!
Old 01-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #14
TheOtherBart OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
I am having the same issue, so you are not alone. I have been going through sub-folders and doing the drag and drop thing. I am up to my daughters 4th birthday of picture now that are backed up on SmugMug. She will be seven in March, and I have two other kids...

I need a better way to transfer.
RxZ, if you have less than 5000 files to upload (or if you can break it into <5000 file chunks) then the Send to SmugMug worked like a charm.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #15
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBart View Post
RxZ, if you have less than 5000 files to upload (or if you can break it into <5000 file chunks) then the Send to SmugMug worked like a charm.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot. All my pictures are on my hard drive already though, not Picasa. I'll play around with it in the next few days and see what happens. Like you, I thought dgrin was a photography forum. No idea it was also a SmugMug support forum. That is good to know.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: