Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 01:08 AM   #16
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
This is a spec sheet comparison, and they even got that wrong (compared weight if a Stelvio NTX but showed standard model).

It is nice to have the specs all in one place, but to declare a "spec sheet" winner seems a bit

-SM
So they rode the spec sheet and came up with a winner? Must be short of topics to write about...
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:37 AM   #17
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
Stelvio last overall...ouchie!
Not the slightest bit surprised that the MG finished last but I am surprised tha new "street" KTM finished first ahead of the Ducati on a strictly pavement comparision.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:07 AM   #18
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
So they rode the spec sheet and came up with a winner? Must be short of topics to write about...
Ya, a spec sheet comparo and a winner is chosen. They gotta create a buzz around the new GS. On paper it has no faults. a few years ago you could count the available large displacement adventure touring bikes on one hand. It's great to have more choice and the choice of reliable japanese bikes. Honda needs to bring theirs here.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #19
Thinc2 OP
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Ya, a spec sheet comparo and a winner is chosen. They gotta create a buzz around the new GS. On paper it has no faults. a few years ago you could count the available large displacement adventure touring bikes on one hand. It's great to have more choice and the choice of reliable japanese bikes. Honda needs to bring theirs here.
I didn't post it because of the winner - I posted because I thought it was useful to have the info all in one place...
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #20
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2 View Post
I didn't post it because of the winner - I posted because I thought it was useful to have the info all in one place...
Don't worry about it. It's winter and it gives us something to compare the bikes with.

You are always going to have those who's bike did not make the grade sad. It hurts their feelings when their "just as good as the those others but it was way cheaper" bikes comes in at the bottom half of the comparision. I'm sure KTM, Ducati and BMW paid them off.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #21
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West View Post
Don't worry about it. It's winter and it gives us something to compare the bikes with.

You are always going to have those who's bike did not make the grade sad. It hurts their feelings when their "just as good as the those others but it was way cheaper" bikes comes in at the bottom half of the comparision. I'm sure KTM, Ducati and BMW paid them off.
Does anybody really think it's a surprise that the (generally more) expensive European bikes came in the winners in a European test? On the other hand, how many times do the Ducati, KTM or BMW have to come in at the head of the class in multiple categories before one believes that maybe there is something the European design ethic, especially as relates to the intangibles of "feel" and handling that is very appealing.

I'm not surprised the Guzzi lagged the field but I am surprised the Caponord, a mostly clean sheet design, didn't do better. Maybe it will in the real tests.
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #22
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 747
I'm not surprised the Guzzi lagged the field either. Much less advertising dollars.

Easily damaged if dropped? I doubt they actually dropped it then. I got rear ended and all it damaged was my auxiliary light on that side.

I've dropped it on snowy and dirt roads. No damage to anything but the engine guard and the hand guard.

Of course it's heavier. What other bike in the test had and 8 1/2 gallon fuel tank? There are other bikes within 10kg that have half the fuel tank. I agree with Sock Monkey. They showed the standard model with the NTX weight figure.

A silly comparo.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #23
ballheadknuckle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
I can read it, but it is not worth reading. Here is how they did their "comparision":
They did not ride the bikes, some data are factory numbers and some they did just guess.
ballheadknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #24
coast range rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
I have high hopes for the KTM 1190 Adventure getting a good rating, maybe best, in their road test comparison.

Maybe by then we will have specs for the 2014 Suzuki 1000 V-Strom. The Suzuki will offer the 19 inch front wheel and vee twin engine characteristics at a significantly lower price. Should be lighter than half the bikes in this article too. Sometimes lower performance along with higher reliability (read: made in Japan) is an acceptable option.
coast range rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:48 AM   #25
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishenough View Post
Warps my brain that what many consider a 'large trailie', an off the shelf dirt bike (KTM 1190), can pull a 10 second quarter mile and hit 150 miles per hour.
wow i didn't realize it was that quick, can't wrap head around gixxer 1000 speed in big trail bike frame. It's a good time to be a bike fan
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:19 AM   #26
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
how many times do the Ducati, KTM or BMW have to come in at the head of the class in multiple categories before one believes that maybe there is something the European design ethic, especially as relates to the intangibles of "feel" and handling that is very appealing.
You are right on track from my experiences. Of all the bikes I've had, nothing has come close to my Multistrada 1200 for fun on the street or sport touring. Almost every Honda, Yamaha or Suzuki ends up being bland and has no appeal when compared to the Ducati.

There isn't anyone making a true big dual sport other than KTM. The bikes offered by Yamaha and Suzuki don't have the off pavement performance because of cost cutting and that's fine, but is the money saved worth it? There is no appeal in buying a pretender that can't keep up when it leaves the pavement.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:23 AM   #27
hngngnthr
Geriatric degenerate

Oddometer: 129
A spec sheet comparison is useful but shouldn't be decisive in deciding on a bike. I suspect actually riding all of them could alter the findings. I currently have a Stelvio NTX and wouldn't trade for any of the others. I've ridden it over 6200 miles in all weather and all roads except off road trails. I wouldn't take any of them there. To each his own. By the way, the NTX with a tank half full isn't any heavier than several of the others.
hngngnthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #28
A-Wind
Andreas RD07a

Oddometer: 605
MOtorrad ADV bike comparo

The lack of "real" Paris-Dakar race origin shows in every one of these bikes.

In the past Adventure Bikes on the top of their class usually used to be close replicas of their Paris-Dakar racing versions.

Today there are no racing versions and that shows!

It seems like today's buyers and manufacturers are more interested in convenience featres and some cheesy adventure theme than anything else.

With such attitude (particularly on the buyer side) we never again going to see another new generation of REAL Tenere, Africa Twin, DR Big, Elefant or 950/990.
A-Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #29
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Wind View Post
The lack of "real" Paris-Dakar race origin shows in every one of these bikes.

In the past Adventure Bikes on the top of their class usually used to be close replicas of their Paris-Dakar racing versions.

Today there are no racing versions and that shows!

It seems like today's buyers and manufacturers are more interested in convenience featres and some cheesy adventure theme than anything else.

With such attitude (particularly on the buyer side) we never again going to see another new generation of REAL Tenere, Africa Twin, DR Big, Elefant or 950/990.
The Dakar has been limited to 450cc for a few years now, so I wouldn't expect to see a "replica" of those bikes in a 1200cc package.

It seems today we've got buyers who want the look of off-road, but the reality of commuting and touring on tarmac, so the comfort and convenience features creep in. The real adv riders (guys bashing their bodies and their bikes across untracked wilderness) all favor 650cc or less, with durability as a premium commodity and luxury an unwelcomed weight addition. Light weight, long range, zero breakdowns are what these folks crave, not ABS, ATC, ESA/DES, 500+ lbs, etc. Basically these are two very different courses, and breed two very different horses.

-SM
Sock Monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #30
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
The Dakar has been limited to 450cc for a few years now, so I wouldn't expect to see a "replica" of those bikes in a 1200cc package.

It seems today we've got buyers who want the look of off-road, but the reality of commuting and touring on tarmac, so the comfort and convenience features creep in. The real adv riders (guys bashing their bodies and their bikes across untracked wilderness) all favor 650cc or less, with durability as a premium commodity and luxury an unwelcomed weight addition. Light weight, long range, zero breakdowns are what these folks crave, not ABS, ATC, ESA/DES, 500+ lbs, etc. Basically these are two very different courses, and breed two very different horses.

-SM
big dirt bikes rule in the city, so much fun. Thumpers good too but nothing like a v twin. I'm liking the multi or ktm without the electo suspension etc. Of course i will have to liquidate most of the fleet to afford one but who needs a sport bike when the same performance can be had without the punishing ergos and suspension
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote