Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #31
Against The Wind
I'm older now but still runnin'

Oddometer: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
Does anybody really think it's a surprise that the (generally more) expensive European bikes came in the winners in a European test? On the other hand, how many times do the Ducati, KTM or BMW have to come in at the head of the class in multiple categories before one believes that maybe there is something the European design ethic, especially as relates to the intangibles of "feel" and handling that is very appealing.
Maybe I'm in the minority but I buy bikes that appeal to me. I don't care what the reviews have to say or who "wins" on paper.. it doesn't "hurt my feelings".. it's just one writer's opinion.. nothing more or less. The only test ride that counts is the one I take. Bike reviewers don't live with the bike long term ... they don't pay to service them, or have to deal with their problems or have them fixed outside of warranty.

I want an all day touring bike but without a massive fairing, or the ~700lbs weight. I don't care for electronic suspension, bluetooth keyless ignition, and other gimmicks.. Just give me a reliable long maintenance interval, upright riding position, adequate seating for 2 with panniers and a top case... I ride mostly on tarmac, but around here in upstate NY and western PA frost heave leaves the tarmac in bad shape and adventure touring bikes have taller suspension to soak up the bumps.. and when I hit the occasional dirt road, the bike can handle it and doesn't feel squirmy. I've done the tour de european bikes (except Triumph) and all have had their issues.

I'm fortunate to have been able to own 14 new bikes in the last 10 years and I'm in the market to add another one to the stable. I'll buy what works for me, and I'm not looking to Motorrad or any one else for validation. Lots of good choices...