ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
Gone in 60 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Newbie saying hi from So Cal

Hi all,

New here, but have been riding for years in Orange and L.A. Counties. I have two Hondas in the garage, a '93 Nighthawk 750 and an '07 VTX 1300. I commute daily and swap between the bikes for variety. The sad part is that about 95% of my riding is my commute to work.

In my forays on the Nighthawk, VTX and other forums, there are frequent references to the ADVrider site, so I figured I'd check it out.

I'm trying to take more recreational rides, and you guys look like you have a lot of fun!

I can see adding a KLR to my fleet down the road. Also, I'll be renting a 1200GS soon just for kicks, and am planning as epic a one day ride as possible.

Look forward to hanging out!
Gone in 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
Welcome!!
Roam these threads for abit and you'll be planning your next "adventure". It's contagious.

Check out the Ride Report thread for epic inspiration.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:10 AM   #3
brentde3
Should be outside

Oddometer: 535

Greetings from the frozen north. I wish I was in California right about now. Beats the windchill of -15 we've got right now.

IBA# 49512
brentde3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone in 60 View Post

I can see adding a KLR to my fleet down the road. Also, I'll be renting a 1200GS soon just for kicks, and am planning as epic a one day ride as possible.!
Noooooo!

not another KLR! you can get a pretty nice used 1150GS for near the price of a KLR......

just sayin

oh and welcome..... you're life will never be the same

Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
ceebaileys
Shield Manufacturer

Oddometer: 185
Welcome fellow Californian.
www.facebook.com/ceebaileys
ceebaileys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
jsalman93
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Welcome to the forum.

As a fellow Californian, I would highly recommend checking out a few good canyons (if you haven't already)

Azusa Canyon
Angeles Crest
Mullholland
Topanga Canyon

2006 Yamaha FZ6
1992 Suzuki Gs500e (in progress)
jsalman93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #7
donmoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalman93 View Post
Welcome to the forum.

As a fellow Californian, I would highly recommend checking out a few good canyons (if you haven't already)

Azusa Canyon
Angeles Crest
Mullholland
Topanga Canyon
Don't forget little tujunga!
donmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #8
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmoto View Post
-- > Bouquet -- > Spunky..... then through Frazier park.... Cuddy Valley - CARRIZO PLAIN!!!!

Quote:
Old 01-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #9
OCRedRoadster
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Hi all,

New here, but have been riding for years in Orange and L.A. Counties. I have two Hondas in the garage, a '93 Nighthawk 750 and an '07 VTX 1300. I commute daily and swap between the bikes for variety. The sad part is that about 95% of my riding is my commute to work.

In my forays on the Nighthawk, VTX and other forums, there are frequent references to the ADVrider site, so I figured I'd check it out.

I'm trying to take more recreational rides, and you guys look like you have a lot of fun!

I can see adding a KLR to my fleet down the road. Also, I'll be renting a 1200GS soon just for kicks, and am planning as epic a one day ride as possible.

I do similarly - commute 80 miles a day on either my vstrom or my DR650. I have reserved most dirt riding for my native Oregon during the summers. I'm old(er) now but I've ridden since I was 13 and do some kind of road tour on my vstrom yearly
If you want to explore let me know. Beyond the few roads in Cleveland Nat'l Forest I havent been out in the dirt or sand here much (after 10 years living here...)
OCRedRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #10
jsalman93
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmoto View Post
I have not heard of little tujunga....do tell

Oh, GMR, don't forget GMR.

2006 Yamaha FZ6
Old 01-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #11
jsalman93
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Hi all,

I have yet to venture off of the pavement (mainly due to a lack of money), but if you are ever looking for someone to ride the canyons with, feel free to let me know.

2006 Yamaha FZ6
Old 01-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #12
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
Noooooo!

not another KLR! you can get a pretty nice used 1150GS for near the price of a KLR......
Don't know about the BMW pricing, but you can also get a Suzuki DR650 or Honda XR650L for similar prices to a KLR, and both are a bit better in the dirt.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #13
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
Don't know about the BMW pricing, but you can also get a Suzuki DR650 or Honda XR650L for similar prices to a KLR, and both are a bit better in the dirt.
a men, man. the DR and the XR are awesome and under rated machines.
Quote:
Old 01-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #14
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalman93 View Post
I have not heard of little tujunga....do tell
its an incredible road that heads out of Sunland and over toward Canyon Country. Its usually much less busy with squids and the fuzz on the weekends.
Also because of the direction in which it goes, it's usually a springboard for longer trips; Frazier Park, Gorman, Carrizo, WARPED et al

not to be missed
Quote:
Old 01-25-2013, 12:50 AM   #15
Gone in 60 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Thanks for the welcome, guys. This past Saturday, I visited Moto Quest in Long Beach, where I'll be renting the GS soon - I have been swamped at work and with volunteer stuff on the weekends, so I have some time to plan my ride before I'll have a chance to do it. These guys there seem very nice, and I got the lowdown on how the rental works. They also let me have a seat on one of their rentals, and I'm looking forward to riding it. I'm thinking of heading to Malibu, up to Mulholland, and up to Oxnard or someplace out there. They told me that once I ride the GS, I'll want to buy one. Of course, they're the rental part of a BMW dealer, so I'm sure they'd like to see me buy one. I've pretty much ridden cruisers and standards, so a tall adventure bike will be a new experience.

Since you guys seem to know a lot about trails in the area, you might know about this one... I live in Orange County, and my wife and I do a lot of hiking. last weekend, we went to Silverado Canyon, and took the trail that starts where the road officially ends. We usually cut off to follow the creek trail, but this time we stayed on the main trail, and after about a few miles, the pavement ended and it turned into a dirt trail that kept going and going up into the hills. A bunch of Jeeps and a variety of off road bikes passed us on the trail. I'm very intrigued to know where this trail ends up. None of the bikes or trucks that went up the trail doubled back during the six miles that we hiked up, so I'm thinking that the other end of the trail must hook up to a road on the other side somewhere.

Anyone know about this trail?
Gone in 60 is offline   Reply With Quote