User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
Dirkamuhamajihad OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Lowside 990 SMR

Riding me SuMo in Napa CA, on the way back from a chinese new year shindig with wife and kids (in car few cars behind me) at time of incidend.

About 75 degrees outside, I have about 1/4 mile of straight 30mph speed before I come up to my left turn (intersection) Perfect timing since the light is green other motorcyclists cleared just in time.

I'm doingg about 25mph, lean and roll on the gas mid turn. That's when the shit hit the fan. Rear tire swings out as if I was trying to tokyo drift at a 45 degree angle with rear tire up front.

No time to do squat. I and bike become seperates after it slams on my left foot. I UFC knee something on the bike then slide on my left side of my chest then slam head on pavement. I think that was from a bridge expansion joint.

Bike is in front of me, still sliding by the time I stopped. I look back to make sure traffic isnt going to run me over and grab bike to move asside. Pick it up start it and stall and almost drop it again. I was still in 2nd and facing almost opposite if intended travel. Start again, and move over to a safe location to check myself and bike out.

Me:
Right knee hurts bad,, instantly swollen, left knee has a small starwberry so does right shin and backside of hand. I was wearing a Alpinestars bionic 2 suit under a MX jersey, both shredded. Draggin jeans. Icon variant helmet, and some icon gloves. Boots are fine, pants shredded but saved a lot of skin. My casio G-shock saved the backside of my hand from skin grafts, as well as the gloves did my knuckles. Helmet barely smacked ground and has small abrasions on left side of chin.

Bike all on left:
Rear R&G axle slider took brunt of scrape, front slider a little. SMT crash bar bent and touched tank spoiler, spoiler scraped good too. Fender has a small crape, rear fairing has a good abrasion as well as the shifter lever (stuck in), peg is missing a few grams too. silencer is scraped and bent inward too. Tank has a tiny abrasion. SMT hand guards saved lever. CRG mirror was smashed then fell off on way home.

All in all about 6k in damages, wrist still hurts somehow

I think the tire was not quite warmed up yet, was newish 500 miles or so, Cherry on top was I went and did the Advanced riders course the weekend prior to this.

4400 miles of crash free riding then this. Wife saw me pul into gas station to fasten mirror that was in process of falling off, but had both kids in car and cell in trunk. I arrived 2 minutes after her at the house. Saw me get off all torn up and she freaked a little.

BTW if someone needs some right side crash bars or hand guards, SMR tank, etc I got some for cheap LOL
Dirkamuhamajihad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,467
Bummer, but glad to hear you're mostly OK.

Noob? If so, that's a lot of bike to start out with. Light weight, gobs of torque and from what I've read, a bit of an on/off-switch throttle - she'll easily spin the back and lift the front. Extra care required...
Old 03-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,013
Glad you are mostly OK. Is the bike insured? For sure they would total it. I crashed an RC51 years ago(hit by a car). They totaled it but I bought it back for a track bike. Kind of regretted it as resale value plummets. Anyway, hope you get back riding soon.
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:35 AM   #4
Dirkamuhamajihad OP
Adventurer

Ya it's insured, no they did not total it. It's a 2010 but I bought it new in 2012 for a good price. So if I want to sell it now it has depreciated value due to having been laid down? I'm getting everything fixed + upgrades and customization.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:38 AM   #5
Dirkamuhamajihad OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
Bummer, but glad to hear you're mostly OK.

Noob? If so, that's a lot of bike to start out with. Light weight, gobs of torque and from what I've read, a bit of an on/off-switch throttle - she'll easily spin the back and lift the front. Extra care required...
Ya I'm a noob, but bought the G2 throttle tamer cam and have ridden this bike for 4400 miles regularly in less than a year.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
Velociraptor
TrackBum

Oddometer: 1,013
My RC was totaled, so eventually I retitled it but it was a salvage title. Since your bike was not totaled but repaired, you will be better off. Probably the fact that the bike was crashed will show up in any type of car fax type search.

My bike is also a 2010. Nice hooligan bike for sure!
2002 RC51 SOLD
2010 KTM 990 Supermoto R SOLD
Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,880
You may have slid the rear on the expansion joint, I tend to pick my bike up over those and then turn in tighter so that the bike is relatively upright when going over. Same with painted lines in a turn in the wet.

Just mitigates the risk of what happened to you a little.

Glad you are relatively ok, be careful with that bike.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
Dirkamuhamajihad OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
You may have slid the rear on the expansion joint, I tend to pick my bike up over those and then turn in tighter so that the bike is relatively upright when going over. Same with painted lines in a turn in the wet.

Just mitigates the risk of what happened to you a little.

Glad you are relatively ok, be careful with that bike.
No that expansion joint was at least 25 feet away from the initial slide and crash. Bike slid far for as slow as I was going
Old 03-10-2013, 11:40 PM   #9
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,444
low side slide

One issue we can often forget when turning is to weight the outside foot peg. Ask me how I know this. Ouch my foot hurts!
XRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #10
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRman View Post
One issue we can often forget when turning is to weight the outside foot peg. Ask me how I know this. Ouch my foot hurts!

I never really thought about it, but weighting the outside peg might make it easier (quicker) to get your leg out from under a low siding bike. It doesn't sound like fun to have a 400 lb bike land on your foot, even with good boots (which I don't have).

Dirkamuhamajihad, glad your family didn't witness your get-off!
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote