Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #16
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
Got the rear on with a little effort. A compression strap and industrial compressor. Finally....
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Bob Tosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #17
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,611
some people have had problems seating tires on the R100GS also. So you're not alone.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #18
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
some people have had problems seating tires on the R100GS also. So you're not alone.
And a KTM. Just looking for ideas. I never had an issue with this tire on my R1150GS(tubeless). The tube type on the KTM (front) is being a pain.
Does the ratchet strap around the circumference work with a tube type tire?
Old 02-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #19
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

I had no problem with the front. The rear was the issue. I ended up getting help from my fleet mechanic at work. It took "real" tire lube a compression strap and some "bouncing" on the ground. Then a shot from a high volume/high pressure industrial compressor. Even getting the beads over the 17" rim was a bitch! I'm not sure I could have done it on a tube tire. I even bent a 24" steel tire iron. I guess I need work on my technique.....
When you're lost in the wild and scared as a child. And death looks you bang in the eye, and your sore as a boil, its according to Hoyle to cock your revolver... and die. But the code of a man says "fight all you can" and self-dissolution is barred. In hunger and woe, its easy to blow... Its the hell-served-for-breakfast thats hard........Robert Service
Old 02-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #20
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Tosi View Post
I had no problem with the front. The rear was the issue. I ended up getting help from my fleet mechanic at work. It took "real" tire lube a compression strap and some "bouncing" on the ground. Then a shot from a high volume/high pressure industrial compressor. Even getting the beads over the 17" rim was a bitch! I'm not sure I could have done it on a tube tire. I even bent a 24" steel tire iron. I guess I need work on my technique.....
Have you tried using zip ties?? I learned the method here and am totally sold on it, especially for tube tires as it is almost impossible to pinch a tube this way and it is VERY easy to get the tire on the rim. The original thread is at http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299597

victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #21
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Now that is ingenious as all get out!!!
Old 02-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #22
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

I was at it again with the front tire. No problem getting the tire/tube on the wheel. Warm tire, HF tire tool and some tire irons.
Just having trouble getting the bead to 'pop'.
I think I need more air pressure.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #23
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,406
Before I head up to my friend's shop and do some show & tell, go get a bicycle tube of the appropriate size, put some air in it and use that to fill the gap. It will keep most of the compressed air from escaping, long enough anyway for the bead to seat. Hold it down there with a piece of plywood.

We always had such bicycle tubes around back then, that is until we bought a Coats 20/20 with its ring of compressed air to help keep the air coming from the valve inside the tire. Car tires maybe but same techniques.I think my grandpa and my dad's mechanics knew a thing or two about mounting tires and so did I after a while back then.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #24
sherpaguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Had that trouble a week ago with the wife's 650gs twin. I put two compression straps on with the ratchets on opposite sides and left it over night. A little grease in the am and pop the magic dragon.
sherpaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #25
Bob Tosi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Probably my
Major issue was the temperature. It's been chilly here and I had no place to warm the tires.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:06 AM   #26
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
Before I head up to my friend's shop and do some show & tell, go get a bicycle tube of the appropriate size, put some air in it and use that to fill the gap. It will keep most of the compressed air from escaping, long enough anyway for the bead to seat. Hold it down there with a piece of plywood.
I need a picture of that. I'm not sure what it will do?
Old 02-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #27
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADODIRT View Post
I need a picture of that. I'm not sure what it will do?
Could take a few days...... Push the tire down onto the rim so at least one bead seals. Then the other one won't be close enough from the rim and the air will escape. Fill that gap with a bicycle tube just long enough for the compressed air to expand the tire and seat the bead.

We often had that problem on car tires back then when the wheels got wider in the seventies. So we had tubes hanging around just for that.The very difficult ones well we had the "stretcher", mostly designed to stretch and gain access and patch, but if used judiciously could help in installations. But too slow for us.

Often the problem with motorcycle tires the beads are too close from each others, then you mount and have to cinch the tire to separate them and get air in. Think about pre-stretching with some blocks if you are not in a hurry.

But then dad bought a Coats 10/10 and we still had the same problems. So he quickly traded it for a 20/20. Them 20/20s had a circular ring under the tire with holes in it. Shoots compressed air at "THE GAP" and prevents the inflation air from escaping,just long enough thus letting the tire expand and the bead seat.

Lift the tire up against the rim, hit that pedal and POP. I still could do that with my eyes closed.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #28
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

That makes more sense, but it sounds more applicable to a tubeless tire.
One of the sides appears to be set as I cannot push it away from the rim. The other side looks like it is set but no 'pop' sound and when I let the air out to check I can still push it away from the rim without too much pressure(just my hand, no leverage).
Anyway, I warmed it up in the sun today, tied a ratchet strap around the circumference and filled it up to 55psi. This time I will let it sit for a day before releasing the air to check.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #29
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADODIRT View Post
That makes more sense, but it sounds more applicable to a tubeless tire.
One of the sides appears to be set as I cannot push it away from the rim. The other side looks like it is set but no 'pop' sound and when I let the air out to check I can still push it away from the rim without too much pressure(just my hand, no leverage).
Anyway, I warmed it up in the sun today, tied a ratchet strap around the circumference and filled it up to 55psi. This time I will let it sit for a day before releasing the air to check.
Polish them wheels, unless I go up there and show previous tire iron marks I had to file/clean. I am sure I'll find such on the other wheel.Darn POs. Make sure there aren't little rubber pieces left on the bead from the tire fabrication, I usually look for that and get rid of them with the torch.

Lube lube....leave it at 55 cold for a while, may eventually pop on its own in the sun. Altough I don't have a problem with 65, wasn't too unusual back then on some Akront/Metzler combos. If you are really weary throw a heavy blanket over it or work remotely with a regulated air supply, shut off valve at the compressor and inflator that stays attached to the tire valve.

I think it is a good thing that they are hard to seat, may not unseat as fast as some if you get a flat.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #30
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,819
Ive had to go well over 55psi before, I suspect you will too.
mouthfulloflake is online now   Reply With Quote