Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2015, 03:24 AM   #1
Hotbottle OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Eh? First big bike buying advice?

What to do?
I have my full license but have only ridden a Honda PCX for the last 4 years with no other biking experience, I have about 3k to spend on something second hand but i'm not sure what would be best.

I thought about a Daelim 250 or Yamaha Thundercat or
even a BMW F800S

Things I have to consider..
No mechanical knowledge
Bike parked outside all year
preferably 60mpg+
Doesnt have to be rocketship fast

Any advice appreciated
Hotbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:29 AM   #2
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,249
Before you get the bike I'd advise an Oxford Stormex cover, a great big chain, and get some handy insurance quotes.

From your list, the F800S is likely to attract the lowest insurance cost as BMW are lower profile than the japanese brands and the bike has a factory-fitted immobiliser. It's also the best mpg in class.

I'm not sure though, whether 3k will get you one. Also, there isn't any way to raise the handlebars, and the riding position is (relatively) sporty. Not sure how you feel about that, coming off a scooter.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:32 AM   #3
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,492
I am looking for the same thing nearly.

Going to look at some fz6s tomorrow. I doubt the Yamaha will have a higher insurance than BMW really. But who knows on the other side of the world.

40000km valves. Good range cheap on fuel. Maybe not as much as the beemer but I wouldn't trust it not to rot.

I would use a cover it makes a big difference
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:49 AM   #4
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Maybe also consider the MP 3-wheelers from Piaggo?
IBA #40578

Old 01-23-2015, 03:50 AM   #5
Birkonian
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Honda cbr600 - anything from an F2 onwards. Cheap(ish), reliable, faster than you'll ever need in the U.k. despite what some might say, acres of plastic make it weather resistant if parked outside and used all year round, comfortable for a young rider, takes a pillion, good build quality, lots of them about, etc, etc, etc.

Pmc
Birkonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:55 AM   #6
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 5,153
I don't know what a Yamaha Thundercat is, but I'd say it's worth buying for the name alone.
Naturally, the common people don't want war; ... the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country - Hermann Goring
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:57 AM   #7
Hotbottle OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
Before you get the bike I'd advise an Oxford Stormex cover, a great big chain, and get some handy insurance quotes.
Some say having a cover is actually worse as it holds condensation also I came back after 3 weeks away over xmas and found the front brake had completely seized (cover had been on the whole time) so there might be some truth to that?

Maybe one of these TES (total enclosure system) covers would do it though..
http://www.whateverwheels.co.uk/m6b0...remium-Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaY YreKa View Post
Maybe also consider the MP 3-wheelers from Piaggo?
I couldnt consider one of them, just cant stand the way the look! I did think about maybe a Honda Forza though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birkonian View Post
Honda cbr600 - anything from an F2 onwards. Cheap(ish), reliable, faster than you'll ever need in the U.k. despite what some might say, acres of plastic make it weather resistant if parked outside and used all year round, comfortable for a young rider, takes a pillion, good build quality, lots of them about, etc, etc, etc.

Pmc
i did think about them but maybe the Thundercat would be more comfy, cheaper and possibly has slightly better mpg
Old 01-23-2015, 06:00 AM   #8
Hotbottle OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
I don't know what a Yamaha Thundercat is, but I'd say it's worth buying for the name alone.
Hoooooooooooooe !!
Old 01-23-2015, 07:08 AM   #9
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotbottle View Post
Some say having a cover is actually worse as it holds condensation also I came back after 3 weeks away over xmas and found the front brake had completely seized (cover had been on the whole time) so there might be some truth to that?

Maybe one of these TES (total enclosure system) covers would do it though..
The Stormex is breathable, so you can cover the bike wet. I think the issue with the brakes could also be moisture rising from the floor. Similar things have happened to me when I've used covers, I just keep some brake cleaner handy.

On the bike front, Hyosung do a cheap 250 that is the size of a 600. You could probably get a fairly new one for 3k, and balance the fact it's not the sexiest brand in the world with the fact it'll probably be 5+ years newer than a ThunderCat or similar.

Or, a faired SV650. Loads of them about for 2k.
IBA #40578

Old 01-23-2015, 07:12 AM   #10
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,724
after riding scooters for nearly four years my first big bike was a FZ6 / Fazer 6. which i guess is a descendant of the Thundercat. don't know about horsepower where you are and what have you but mine has 98 and is fast

i don't think a more perfect "first big bike" can be had and seems sead reliable after 10 months and 8,000 miles of ownership. very low maintenance bike so far as i have read, too. YMMV but most have great luck with this bike

best thing for me was coming off small scooters its riding position and weight made it feel like a big scooter, essentially. had no trouble riding or shifting it first day i got it

good luck
Old 01-23-2015, 07:14 AM   #11
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Hyosung 250, 2014 model, with 233 miles on the clock, 2500.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1500?logcode=p
IBA #40578

Old 01-23-2015, 08:16 AM   #12
kickstandsup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
My wife and I had the great good fortune to tour Scotland this past July on a rented BMW F800GT. Not sure what part of the country you live in, nor your intended purpose with the bike, but the F800 was perfect for all the little single-track roads that criss cross the Highlands. It is nimble, sure footed, has decent but not overwhelming power, abs, integrated luggage that travels well, can handle the motorway with ease and returned slightly over 60 mpg 2-up on the trip. It is an easy bike to ride with great fueling, zero driveline lash and a relatively comfortable riding position.

If you wanted to stay British, a Triumph Bonneville might also be a good choice...low seat height, reliable, classic looks, modest power; another easy to ride bike. Lower cost than the BMW.

Because this will be your first "big bike" if you could arrange test rides for yourself on various bikes, that should be a help. Most bikes are "defined" by their engine characteristics and you'll find significant differences between an inline 4 and a twin, for example. Not better or worse, just different and you owe it to yourself to taste the different flavors to decide what you like.

Good luck, and we'd love to get back to Scotland!
kickstandsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:06 AM   #13
Hotbottle OP
n00b

Unless i see a Honda NC700X/CB500f/x/r for under 3k (seems highly unlikely!) I think its either the ThunderCat or the F800S then!

Thanks for the responses!
Old 01-23-2015, 11:32 AM   #14
lemming
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
I have a 99 YZF600R, which is the Thundercat here, across the pond. I picked it up as a project with wrecked fairings, and we are going the street fighter route with it. It is a great runner, plenty of power (more than I want, really) and is really comfortable. Smooth suspension and nice brakes make it very real road friendly. I am sure more race-specific bikes could out handle it, but for real roads and daily driving, I'd rather be on the kitty.

I expect it should be much less than a bimmer.

2011 Royal Enfield Bullet B5
lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 11:32 AM   #15
Vectored2adv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
What type of riding? commute only, commute + tour?, .... What type of roads will you be on? Do you need luggage capacity?
Vectored2adv is offline   Reply With Quote