Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 02:23 AM   #136
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,892
I'm buying a new bike in a couple years, one I plan on having for quite a few years alongside the klr, and the road king is one of the bikes on the short list.

Looking at c.l., looks like if I want a stock bike it's going to have to be a new one. Here's what I don't get. Harley fought and worked and finally started making good, dependable bikes and asshats have to stroke and pipe them to ruin that dependability. Kind of pisses me off when I see a stock looking bike and first thing is Vance and Hines pipes like that's a good thing...
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:02 AM   #137
131unlimited
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Very, very few Twincams are stroked to increase displacement. They are bored to get more cubic inches. Stroking was the common way 30+ years ago with shovles.

Do your research hippie and you'll see that a lot of the bikes will not be hard to get back to stock. ( Yes , I run my 11 Glide 100% stock , down to the mufflers). Stock mufflers, air cleaners and many items are super cheap and easy to find on many forums.
131unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:38 AM   #138
Queenie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Nice.

How do you like the lowers? I did about 300 miles straight highway yesterday, 70 to 80 mph the whole time. Wind was trying to blow my feet off the floorboards pretty bad, it was getting annoying. I'm too short for highway pegs, so that's not an option. Can't reach the crashbars.
I too am too short for regular highway pegs on my Road King. I have floorboard extenders too and they work great. Look into Kuryaken Longhorn Highway peg arms. They are adjustable big time and you can use the arms with just about any highway pegs, HD included.
Queenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #139
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiebrian View Post
Here's what I don't get. Harley fought and worked and finally started making good, dependable bikes and asshats have to stroke and pipe them to ruin that dependability. Kind of pisses me off when I see a stock looking bike and first thing is Vance and Hines pipes like that's a good thing...
A lot of owners replace the exhaust to reduce the heat on their right thigh because HD puts the catalytic convertor in the header. Also, as with most bikes, a free flowing exhaust with a less restrictive air cleaner will do a lot to improve throttle response, let the motor run cooler (provided the ECU is corrected), add a bit of power (never a bad thing), and allow the rider to actually hear the motor. The latter is cited by most owners of most brands, we all like to hear our internal combustion motors despite the impact on Al Gore.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #140
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by 131unlimited View Post
Very, very few Twincams are stroked to increase displacement. They are bored to get more cubic inches. Stroking was the common way 30+ years ago with shovles.

Do your research hippie and you'll see that a lot of the bikes will not be hard to get back to stock. ( Yes , I run my 11 Glide 100% stock , down to the mufflers). Stock mufflers, air cleaners and many items are super cheap and easy to find on many forums.
Agreed. Many many Harley buyers seem programmed to toss the stock stuff before the bike leaves the dealer. Stock parts (mufflers, air cleaner, even stock barrels and cylinders) on Craigslist are dirt cheap. I see wheels too, new, with rubber, for barely more than new tires. Almost bought some recently.

"big bore" kits are just that...all bore, no stroke.

I'm like 131..I ride completely stock, so far. 2011 road glide, 23,000 miles and counting (been too busy to ride much this year, alas).

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #141
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,502
Wondering here, what tires are most of you guys running? I currently have the Dunlop E3's, either Kentucky roads are slippery or the tires suck in the rain.

Did a few accidental burnouts that shouldn't have happened. One was a second gear rolling burnout at 3/4 throttle with a passenger and camping gear, another was solo in third at about half throttle. Both times my friend was in front of me on his dyna pulling away. Stock 103" motor on both bikes.

Maybe the roads are just crap there? I ride pretty conservative, especially in rain, but I'd still like to know my tires are at least up for hard braking. Might go back to stock tires for the next swap, I dont know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #142
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Wondering here, what tires are most of you guys running? I currently have the Dunlop E3's, either Kentucky roads are slippery or the tires suck in the rain.
I had Dunflops on a '92 FLHS and they were terrifying on any wet surface. I've never bought any of their tires since but I have read very favorable reports about their new tires offered on the touring bikes.

As for roads here in Kentucky they vary from place to place and depend a lot on when they were first constructed as the substrate on older, rural roads were not built to carry the loads and number of vehicles that now run them. And a lot of problems in the mountains are due to bad drainage, especially where the rock strata drains water in a particular direction which just might be where an original road was built. Those sections are rebuilt every 3-5 years, often in two or three days with huge rubber liners to help channel the water. The worst problems are where the coal trucks carry. I don't recall the load limits but they are higher than anywhere else in the country. But I still have witnessed close associates of one of my neighbors handing suspicious envelopes to an enforcement officer, early one Sunday morning in a sort of private place. My neighbor owned about 100 heavy trucks and had paid mercenaries to flush the woods of people who threatened to shoot his drivers as they hauled from a union mine that was on strike. Back to the haul roads, once the hauling is done from a mine site the road is repaired and resurfaced with the bond money the mining company has to post just for that reason. We do have some very nice roads, if you know where to find them and where to avoid the dust, mud, oil slicks and trucks. But your biggest problem is your tires. Maybe Michelin? I've got them on an ST and I do some nice drifting through turns where the asphalt is slick from heavy truck wear. Fun.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #143
marshrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
I switched to Michelin Commanders on my 2000 RK when the original rear Dunlop wore out. That was 75K miles ago and I've run nothing else. About to have a Commander 2 rear put on.
I've ridden in some Biblical rainstorms and always been happy with the tires.
marshrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #144
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm buying a new bike in a couple years, one I plan on having for quite a few years alongside the klr, and the road king is one of the bikes on the short list.

Looking at c.l., looks like if I want a stock bike it's going to have to be a new one. Here's what I don't get. Harley fought and worked and finally started making good, dependable bikes and asshats have to stroke and pipe them to ruin that dependability. Kind of pisses me off when I see a stock looking bike and first thing is Vance and Hines pipes like that's a good thing...
Well I messed up and went to California Harley today. Sat on the Road King then the Dyna Switchback. It's definitely the Switchback for me. Feels just like a motorcycle should and even though the bags are smaller, I can strap a soft bag to the seat and carry enough crap.

Now, how to tell my buddies I'm getting a Harley. Lol

I'm going to take a loan on the 401k now ' cause life's too short not to, right?

One thing I have to say. I went to several different motorcycle shops Looking around out of boredom, mostly Japanese bike dealers. None even walked up to say hi. California Harley was great. I told them I wasn't buying today and they helped anyhow. Good people there!
Old 07-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #145
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,502
Quote:
Well I messed up and went to California Harley today. Sat on the Road King then the Dyna Switchback. It's definitely the Switchback for me. Feels just like a motorcycle should and even though the bags are smaller, I can strap a soft bag to the seat and carry enough crap.

Now, how to tell my buddies I'm getting a Harley. Lol

I'm going to take a loan on the 401k now ' cause life's too short not to, right?

One thing I have to say. I went to several different motorcycle shops Looking around out of boredom, mostly Japanese bike dealers. None even walked up to say hi. California Harley was great. I told them I wasn't buying today and they helped anyhow. Good people there!
I like the switchback, good choice I think. If it was available when I bought my road king in 2008 I may have ended up with one.

I've heard they ride rougher and are short on suspension travel, but I could be mistaken.

jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:33 PM   #146
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Question

Quote:
I like the switchback, good choice I think. If it was available when I bought my road king in 2008 I may have ended up with one.

I've heard they ride rougher and are short on suspension travel, but I could be mistaken.

Been reading about the suspension. Most say it's fine except for really rough roads. The 100 pounds less is what sold me. You can feel the difference just sitting on them.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #147
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,295
you can always put longer, aftermarket shocks on it to raise the rear suspension travel from 2 inches to 3" or even 4". That's what I'd do if I bought one.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:12 AM   #148
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
Does the Switchback use the same type of air over shocks that the RoadKing uses? If so, some judicious experimentation with shock oils and air pressures can go a long ways to making that short suspension work pretty darn well on rough roads. My lowered RK does surprisingly well on dirt and gravel roads with the lowered SG shocks, after some twiddling.
foxtrapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:28 AM   #149
robcig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Getting back to the Road King, I installed Heritage Bars today, and they are friggin awesome....
robcig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #150
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrapper View Post
Does the Switchback use the same type of air over shocks that the RoadKing uses? If so, some judicious experimentation with shock oils and air pressures can go a long ways to making that short suspension work pretty darn well on rough roads. My lowered RK does surprisingly well on dirt and gravel roads with the lowered SG shocks, after some twiddling.
It does. I'll check that out, once I get the bike.