Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #16
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Very comfortable, reliable, satisfying motorcycle for long trips, and easy enough to ride around town. I've had my Road King in 45 states, logged many 1000+ mile days, and never once, not once, needed to stop because of discomfort. Can't say that about any other motorcycle I've ridden in over 30 years of riding street bikes.

The trick to any big heavy bike is to learn how to work the motorcycles weight to your advantage. Take some slow speed training classes, and you'll learn how to make that bike dance. MSF training is not going to be enough. On your own you can get the DVD's Ride Like A Pro. That should help.

Oh, that is a beautiful color on your Road King. It's just captivating.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #17
DLFLHT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
I went from a 2010 Ultra Classic Limited to a 2013 Road King. The Ultra was a nice bike, but I never really cared for all the plastic, stereo, intercom, gauges, etc. The Road King is just nice, clean, elemental bike - cruiser or tourer when you want it.
DLFLHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:02 PM   #18
Mountain Cruiser OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post
ps: Get the cruise control. I think it's an option.

No tax with Military sales, right?

My liquor cabinet is stocked with dirt-cheap "Military Special" bourbon and gin. My brother is retired Air Force, and he keeps me stocked with 6 dollar a bottle booze. It's not great, but it is cheap.

Cakeeater

Yes, I will definitely get the cruise control. I will be liable for state taxes in the state I will register the bike in. In my case that is California. With the Military Sales you can only order a bike when on an assignment overseas. I'm not active duty, but I work on a United States Naval Vessel on four months on/four months off rotation. We are eligible to use the Military Sales when overseas and many of my shipmates have purchased cars and several have purchased HD motorcycles.

Mountain Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #19
yogibiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Both my RK's were dependable. Not a loose screw. Best handling HD touring bike. Love my beemers. Wish I thought they were as dependable. Good resale value. Very versatile, except off road of course.
yogibiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #20
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer: 501
Can you still have a coffee holder?
GoonerYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:56 PM   #21
Mountain Cruiser OP
Banned

Yeah man, that candy orange/beer bottle combo is looking real nice....

Old 01-22-2013, 05:51 AM   #22
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,483
I love mine. Haven't put a ton of miles on it, 16,000 on a 2007. Bought it in the fall of 08 with 151 miles on it.

I switched to Heritage handlebars, helped a ton. The stock bars are made for selling the bike, not riding it. I have a Sundowner seat, I'd go with a Mustang next time. After 16000 I think the seat is worn out or something, it feels about the same as the badlander that came on it. My sportster has a Mustang and it feels way better.

It's worth noting that if you feel the need/want for a radio there are a few makers of detachable front fairings. I have a Tsukau, but would probably go with a dragon fly next time. The radio that came with mine sucked, the speakers were garbage, and the wiring looked like a third grader did it. A friend owns a car audio shop, I handed him my credit card and told him to order what he thought would be best. Now it sounds great.

Handlebars have been changed since this pic:

With fairing and Craigslist tour pack:

jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:59 AM   #23
flipr
Scofflaw

Oddometer: 181
My 2012 FLHR Road King... cruise control is a must have.

flipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #24
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Ricemannv-

I know how it is being overseas and seeing the harley's for sale. I bought a softail while I was in Iraq. Thing is you get bored and there's nothing else to do but look at stuff for sale, then one thing leads to another and you just spent your entire deployment pay on a bike.

At least consider used, and look around on Craigslist in your hometown now. Lots of road kings going cheap over the last couple of years.

All typos and misspellings blamed on my phone.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #25
Mountain Cruiser OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Ricemannv-

I know how it is being overseas and seeing the harley's for sale. I bought a softail while I was in Iraq. Thing is you get bored and there's nothing else to do but look at stuff for sale, then one thing leads to another and you just spent your entire deployment pay on a bike.

At least consider used, and look around on Craigslist in your hometown now. Lots of road kings going cheap over the last couple of years.

All typos and misspellings blamed on my phone.

I'm hesitant to buy a used HD. Everyone modifies them and I don't want to get involved in someone else's modification. I prefer stock.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #26
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricemannv View Post
I'm hesitant to buy a used HD. Everyone modifies them and I don't want to get involved in someone else's modification. I prefer stock.

True. There are some stockers out there, but not many.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #27
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
True. There are some stockers out there, but not many.
Mine is. Bone-ass stock. Oh, wait....i put in some fancier spark plugs at 21,000 miles.

I take it back. Heavily modded.

I just like riding mine. Took mine for a ride last Saturday in Minneapolis....It was 37. Not much ice on the road. An hour after I got home it was 27....a day later it was below zero. Today it was -15 below. Not much riding now. :(

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:30 AM   #28
Robert OK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricemannv View Post
Oh great, a non-believer....

Pay no mind. He trolls all the Harley threads.
Robert OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:58 AM   #29
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeeater View Post
Mine is. Bone-ass stock. Oh, wait....i put in some fancier spark plugs at 21,000 miles.

I take it back. Heavily modded.

I just like riding mine. Took mine for a ride last Saturday in Minneapolis....It was 37. Not much ice on the road. An hour after I got home it was 27....a day later it was below zero. Today it was -15 below. Not much riding now. :(

Cakeeater
Bikes here, bikes on the road, and bikes in the garage are 3 distinct different animals.

Here- comfort mods, luggage, high miles

Harley's on the road- Comfort mods, chrome, Loud ass pipes. Some high miles.

Garage Harley's, the most common on Craigslist- Pipes, chrome. crappy jetting, seat like a board. Low miles but ran hard.

I know of a 2003 Deuce with 14,000 miles that's blowing smoke already and has had the motor torn down twice Once for a 95" kit, once to get the cylinder fins diamond cut. My dad and I were talking last fall and he was wondering if it's about time to rebuild my bikes. 16,000 on the Road King and 21,000 on the Sportster.

I wish they didn't use salt on the roads here or I'd be riding mine still. My winter bike is a KLR, but using the FJR or Road King would be a much better option.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:01 AM   #30
nbsdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
A Road King is one of the better HDs. Maybe only the RoadGlide is a better long distance bike.
Interesting to note that on my 05, cruise was standard (if I remember right) and now it's a $295 option except on the anniversary edition.
nbsdave is offline   Reply With Quote