Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 08:46 PM   #61
Buck760
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
If you decide to buy it, I'd opt for cast wheels over spoked wheels.. tubless tires are much more preferable.
I might be mistaken, but I believe the newer ones are tubeless spoked.

Last week I rented a Street Glide one day, and a Road King another. I preferred the RK, as I found the SG a bit harsh with the shorter shocks, and the buffeting beat me up pretty good. I also like the idea of being able to easily remove the windscreen, whereas on the SG the fairing is always there. I found on the SG that I could barely hear the radio when moving at freeway speeds - iPod and earbuds work fine for me.
Buck760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:20 AM   #62
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricemannv View Post
I need a big touring motorcycle. I keep going back and forth between the Road King, Road Glide Ultra, Electra Glide Ultra, Gold Wing, Victory Vision Tour and Victory Cross Country Tour. Something always draws me back to the Road King. And that Candy Orange/Beer Bottle paint scheme.......WOW.
I went from this 09 Road King

to this 11 Electra Glide Ultra Limited

They feel like two different machines; RK to me is still the best all around tourer that Harley makes, but the EG is by far more comfy. I had no complaints with the RK even after 62k miles and no major problems.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 91k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:37 AM   #63
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 274
On My Second RKC

I'm on my second RKC. I thought my '06 would be the last HD I'd have to buy (I'm 71 yrs old) but couldn't resist the wider rear tire of the '09 & later. Here's a pic of the two before I sold the '06.

That TourPak is butt ugly so I would take it off for daily around town stuff but now I'm so spoiled by having that extra space I live with ugly.
I spent last summer riding through Europe and Central Asia on my KTM 990ADV. I wished I could have had the RK for comfort on the good roads through Europe and then been able to switch to the KTM for rough stuff in Souther Russia and the 'Stans.

'11 KTM 990 ADV Dakar, '08 KTM 690 Enduro, '09 H-D Road King, '82 H-D FXRS (Shovelhead)
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #64
Bloodweiser
honestly

Oddometer: 2,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by studad View Post
30" here too, and I'm doing great with my RK Custom. I don't know how much lower it is, but its plenty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alii1959 View Post
I am 5'6 with 30" inseam as well. Reach seat solved the problem for me.
I think my post was misinterpreted.
i had no problems reaching the ground with my 30" inseam,
that part was fine.
It was how WIDE the bitch was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
Wonder which seat the dealer had on that Road King. I have a 31 inch inseam, and have no trouble at all reaching the ground, especially with the stock seat. But, that doesn't matter now, as you got what should be a great touring motorcycle. That's more than just a Dyna with bags and windshield, they reworked the geometry of the steering to make it similar to the touring frames. And being lighter, with the big engine, it should be a fun fun ride. Please give a report after you've logged a few miles.
Ain't got many so I'll keep shut.
Bought it in Novemeber, dealer's sitting on it
till the thaw, but will do.
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #65
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 797
Yeah, the width is a bitch for me. It took about six hundred miles for me to get used to the way my hips were situated. Now it's easily the most comfortable bike for me to ride.

I have to say my wife thinks the highly modified KLR was more comfortable, but she hasn't been on the latest RK seat yet.
studad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #66
mtwillyman
Lost and Cornfuzed

Oddometer: 618
Knee hits Air Cleaner

Test rode the RK, and my knee was resting on the air cleaner. I'm 5' 7" short with a 29" inseam. I could not get comfy on the RK. The Softail fit me perfectly though. What's a short dude to do to correct the situation. I really like the FLH HD's but I don't fit well on them. Thanks for any advice.
mtwillyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #67
Bloodweiser
honestly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwillyman View Post
Test rode the RK, and my knee was resting on the air cleaner. I'm 5' 7" short with a 29" inseam. I could not get comfy on the RK. The Softail fit me perfectly though. What's a short dude to do to correct the situation. I really like the FLH HD's but I don't fit well on them. Thanks for any advice.
Take a look at the switchback
FL front end, 103" motor, QD hardbags and shield, 100 lbs less.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #68
Bloodweiser
honestly

not a minute goes by....
Old 01-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #69
marshrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
[QUOTE=Ricemannv;20566979]Nice. Are those stock bars? If not, what kind are they?

The bars are the older-style Softail Heritage. They fit me perfectly.
I went to the dealer and brought home 5 different handlebars, with the understanding that at least 4 would be returned. Moved the stockers out of the way and tried them all back to back. The differences were very apparent.
marshrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #70
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,312
Quote:
I'm 5'7" as well with 29" inseam. My first touring HD was a 06 Street Glide. It comes with the rear lowered 1" compared to the other touring bikes. First thing I did was swap the seat for a Corbin Close Solo (solo cause wife, now ex rode her own) with backrest which puts the rider about 2" closer to the bars/controls then after a year I installed a set of Sweeper pullback bars. I eventually swapped the 1" lower shocks for the standard 13" height for better handling/clearance and with the seat and bars the longer shocks were not a problem.

Traded the 06 SG on a 12 Road Glide Custom (which also comes withe the shorter shocks) and did the same with the seat but this time got a two-up seat (no more wife) and had Corbin contour it to move me closer much like the solo seat and another set of Sweeper pullback bars. I then swapped out the shorter shocks for a set of standard height 13" Ohlins and as a little guy I have no problem riding it.

Between the DR 650, the XR1200 and the Road Glide Custom, the RG would stay if I could have only one bike.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #71
Mountain Cruiser OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,204
I'd like to do some serious two up long distance touring in the United States. With hotel prices and restaurant prices as they are that means I need to do some camping and cooking of my own meals. Not all the time, but probably most of the time. So I'm thinking a Road King and a Roll-a-Home tent trailer would be a great combo. Then I can set up camp for a few days at a time, explore the area with day rides on the bike and return to camp at the end of the day. Then break camp and move on to the next spot, repeat. That's my dream adventure motorcycle tour.....

This is the rig, but I will be using a Road King instead.

The tent camper set up at a camp site.

Mountain Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #72
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shov3BR View Post
I'm on my second RKC. I thought my '06 would be the last HD I'd have to buy (I'm 71 yrs old) but couldn't resist the wider rear tire of the '09 & later. Here's a pic of the two before I sold the '06.

That TourPak is butt ugly so I would take it off for daily around town stuff but now I'm so spoiled by having that extra space I live with ugly.
I spent last summer riding through Europe and Central Asia on my KTM 990ADV. I wished I could have had the RK for comfort on the good roads through Europe and then been able to switch to the KTM for rough stuff in Souther Russia and the 'Stans.
Shov38R, sounds to me like you are living the life.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #73
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Air cleaners can be changed for many different shapes and sizes, Floor boards can be moved out and forward with any number of adapters, seats and handle bars can easily be changed to custom fit the motorcycle to you. If you want an FLH, than you can make one fit you. But, as was said, don't overlook the Switchback.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #74
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
But, as was said, don't overlook the Switchback.
I heard the Switchback has been given an unfortunate nickname.

I wish you guys would stop posting about how much you like your Road Kings. One of these has been on my list of "someday" bikes ever since they came out in 94.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #75
rider33
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 972
as I think was said earlier, the Road King is the most elemental of the serious long distance touring bikes, no extraneous bullshit to get in the way, just a rock solid steam ship of a bike that loves nothing more than to sail across the western plains for hours on end at 85 MPH. The nice thing is is that in the states at least you can rent one fairly easily and take it on a little 500 miles spin to see if it's really for you. If it is, you'll find it's perhaps on of the easiest bike there is to dial into your particular needs. Cruise, racks, seats, shields whatever, if you need something a bit different than stock, odds are there will be any number of alternatives available. I use a sport touring bike now for long distance travel but I must admit, even tho I'm more a 'Stich than fringe leather kind of guy, I still miss the King.