User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 07:02 AM   #1
loosesprocket OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Kilimanjaro vs BMG Challenger Jacket

I like both of these jackets, waterproof, insulated, armour, venting, pockets, price, etc. I want something for cold weather as well as rain protection from low 40's up to high 70's. I have an enduro style jacket for warmer weather and have layered under it down to mid 40 weather and been comfortable. I have read a lot about both and the Kilimanjaro has been around a while, updated recently. I haven't heard much about the BMG Challenger but what I have read sounds good. I ride Dual Sport and Adventure. Any comments appreciated.
loosesprocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
Tiz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
I have both. I wear the BMG jacket when it's COLD or raining hard and the kili when it's not HOT and not a deluge. I get cold easy so probably the kili would be ok in the cold if you're not sensitive. I found the BMG to be more waterproof than the kili. And I feel more protected in the BMG.

The zippers on either jacket suck. Incredibly suck.

--Kevin
ex-2001 XR400
ex-2002KLR650
Tiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
twasp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Challenger jacket

I have the Challenger and I like it with a reservation about the long sleeve leangth. It is warm down to 40 degrees F with just the liner on a wee-strom with a CalSci windshield. On the DR650 a little below 50 degrees.

It has excellent armour in the sleeves but they are thick at the wrist area making it difficult to put gauntlets over or under them. The leangth is too long, probably european cut, or my arms are way too short.? I wear a 3x which is one size large so I have room to layer underneath. I am 6 ' and 250 lbs.

No rain or crash experience yet. I don't feel like it will crash as well as a Darien. Just my opinion because of the softness of the material. It is not cordura or goretex.

I do like the large rain/wind flap over the front zipper which uses snaps. I think it is a great winter, fall, spring jacket for the price. Back protector armor was an extra $40,00.

I too have problems getting the main zipper started. After that it works ok.
twasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
Mr_Gone
Innocent Culprit

Oddometer: 3,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosesprocket View Post
Any comments appreciated.
When I went on my long trip last summer, I paid attention to what other riders were wearing because I was looking to upgrade my jacket. I would say that 20% of all riders I met were wearing a Kilimanjaro. With all the jackets out there, one jacket with that sort of market percentage is amazing. And all these guys were happy with their Kili.

I don't know anything about the Challenger, but after meeting so many other riders who bought and were happy with their Kilimanjaro, I'd say this is a sterling endorsement.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
Rescue Wagon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
I love my Kilimanjaro and have used it in weather down to 25F wearing a long sleeve t-shirt under it and I stay warm. My only complaint was on a trip to Little Rock it was raining hard enough to soak through.
Rescue Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
loosesprocket OP
Adventurer

I like the Klim Latitude Misano gear also but I don't know if I can justify twice the price.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #7
EricD10563
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
I can't compare the two but I've been wearing the Kilimanjaro jacket for about four years and I have no serious complaints, it's held up well after 40k miles. Works as well as a rain suit, works well enough in warm weather with the vents and in cool weather I have a Gerbing heated jacket. The pockets that seem water resistant are just that, not waterproof, items will get wet, but the main zippers have not let any water in; also the jacket I have was black and gray now it looks purple and gray not a biggie. I'm sure there are better jackets but for the money I think Kilimanjaro is hard to beat.
In 2009 I rode 18,589 miles on an island that's 72 miles long. That's 50 miles a day everyday for 365 days. I think I'll go home now. 80k miles and still riding http://travelwithe.com/blogengine.net/ my YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
EricD10563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
Mr_Gone
Innocent Culprit

Quote:
I like the Klim Latitude Misano gear also but I don't know if I can justify twice the price.
I just purchased a Klim Badlands jacket, and even now I'm not sure I can justify paying what I paid. But I'll try. First, the jacket is Gore-tex, which is arguably the best waterproofing you can buy. Second, the waterproofness is guaranteed by Gore-tex, for life... how can you beat that? Third, the armor in the Klim is very, very good d3o stuff.

Would I buy a Badlands again...? I don't know. It's a great jacket and I love it.

Not sure if this helps with you looking at the Klim Misano gear... something to consider, though.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
loosesprocket OP
Adventurer

The Latitude has a 2layer Goretex performance shell and the Badlands has a 3 layer Goretex Pro shell. Both are guaranteed to keep you dry but the Latitude will absorb a little moisture on the outside. Probably not enough to worry about.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #10
loosesprocket OP
Adventurer

The Latitude has a 2layer Goretex performance shell and the Badlands has a 3 layer Goretex Pro shell. Both are guaranteed to keep you dry but the Latitude will absorb a little moisture on the outside. Probably not enough to worry about.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #11
Mr_Gone
Innocent Culprit

Quote:
That is true. And Gore-tex has a "Guaranteed to Keep You Dry" warranty for both jackets.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #12
loosesprocket OP
Adventurer

I'm still looking at options, liking the First Gear Katmandu now vs the Kilimanjaro because I think it would do better for Adventure and Dual Sport riding. Not sure about the Katmandu pants. (I want pants also) Still liking the Klim stuff too. Also considering a heater jacket liner and heater gloves for the colder days.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #13
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,326
For the price, the Kili is an excellent jacket. I've worn it in 25 degrees with a heated liner and in 90 degrees (markedly uncomfortable, although it vents pretty well.)

I found that any waterproof/breathable liner is sensitive to how you clean it. If you use Nikwax wash and rinse twice a year, I feel the Kili performs as well as anything on the market, and I've used Gore-Tex off and on since it was introduced. I feel the membrane in the Kili is less sensitive to contamination than Gore-Tex.

Dual Sport Luggage Racks for: DRZ-S, SM and E, DR 650 and KLR650: http://www.moto-racks.com

Canuman screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 08:43 PM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:37 PM   #14
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,515
I have a kili that I bought probably 6 years ago so it's certainly not a new model at all. Nonetheless I really do still like it, pretty waterproof, great pockets, great venting. Unlike some, I tend to get hot before I get cold therefore I don't wear it all that much anymore here in Florida, I pretty much usually wear my mesh jacket (torrent).

That being said, I have had my eye on that Klim Misano, it's pricey, and considering my 200$ jacket has been fine, that 600$ better be damn good. I'm mainly eyeing it in terms of crash protection, I'm about to be a new father and I am more interested in getting the better protective gear.

AviatorTroy screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 06:43 AM
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:06 AM   #15
loosesprocket OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
For the price, the Kili is an excellent jacket. I've worn it in 25 degrees with a heated liner and in 90 degrees (markedly uncomfortable, although it vents pretty well.)

I found that any waterproof/breathable liner is sensitive to how you clean it. If you use Nikwax wash and rinse twice a year, I feel the Kili performs as well as anything on the market, and I've used Gore-Tex off and on since it was introduced. I feel the membrane in the Kili is less sensitive to contamination than Gore-Tex.
What pants do you wear with the Kili Jacket ?