ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
ua99003 OP
Adventurer
 
ua99003's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: South Louisiana
Oddometer: 70
Cycle Gear BiLT jackets ???

Anyone had any experience with the CycleGear BiLT line of gear ???
Been looking at there lower priced line on jackets and wondering if any good
ua99003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT
 
One Less Harley's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Bowling Green, Ky
Oddometer: 4,611
Their gloves are crap, I bought water proof ones and they did a wonderful job of keeping water in the gloves.
__________________
2004 BMW R1150RS
1984 BMW R80G/S
(wrenching index)
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 531
A lot of the Bilt stuff is crap. I did buy their ADV type 3/4 jacket when it was on sale for $100. It's alright, nothing special, and I hope it holds up should i crash. Quite toasty with the liner.

Don't buy any of their leather jackets/pants. The leather is so thin I wouldn't trust it to hold up in a 20mph spill and I've heard bad bad things about the stitching.

I'd tell you go to to a Cycle Gear and compare it between a quality jacket in person but it seems like all they carry now is Bilt and Sedici
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #4
Trophy Mike
w/extreme prejudice
 
Trophy Mike's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Detroit, and on the world-wide interweb
Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
Their gloves are crap, I bought water proof ones and they did a wonderful job of keeping water in the gloves.
Trying to steal my act?
__________________
trophycycleapparel.com - America's #1 Non-REV'IT! Dealer - Rukka Gear Discussion/FAQ
Trophy Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
Dukeryder
 
Dukeryder's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Pinewood Springs, Co
Oddometer: 7,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
...all they carry now is Bilt and Sedici
I thought I saw some Dainese stuff in there, the last time I was in there, and Alpinestars (boots at least)....it may just be old inventory though.

I had a pair of Frank Thomas GP gloves and they were absolute shit, so glad I returned them. They developed HOLES near the armor after 3 Rides! WTF? I got a pair of Dainese gloves and they held up on a pavement lowside! If I had those FT gloves I'd hate to think about what might have happened to my hands....
__________________


Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
roger123
Beastly Adventurer
 
roger123's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: VA Beach, VA
Oddometer: 1,500
I've gotten some really good deals on Firstgear and Tourmaster stuff there, now it seems they only have the Bilt stuff and it really doesnt seem all that great.
__________________
Roger
'07 Wee Strom
COG 5903
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:47 PM   #7
Stegerman
MotoOCD sufferer
 
Stegerman's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: SW Idaho
Oddometer: 587
Bilt is crap. So glad CG has a generous return policy.

Pass
__________________
2000 R1150GS- ZenPig
2003 F650GS (sold)

formally trained to screw with people's minds..
Stegerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #8
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
I thought I saw some Dainese stuff in there, the last time I was in there, and Alpinestars (boots at least)....it may just be old inventory though.

I had a pair of Frank Thomas GP gloves and they were absolute shit, so glad I returned them. They developed HOLES near the armor after 3 Rides! WTF? I got a pair of Dainese gloves and they held up on a pavement lowside! If I had those FT gloves I'd hate to think about what might have happened to my hands....
Yeah they still have Dainese, but that's well out of my price range.
I'm pretty happy with a Frank Thomas Leather Jacket I picked up on clearance years ago with some matchining-in-model-but-not-color pants that zip to it, taste the rainbow

p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:18 PM   #9
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2004
Oddometer: 2,360
Cycle Gear is going the same way with the Bilt products as Montgomery Ward did with their products, de-specing the products , hoping the customers don't notice the difference, but they do, CG saves a penny up front but the customer never comes back...ya know what happened to Montgomery Ward
__________________
"Character cannot be summoned at the moment of crisis if it has been squandered by years of compromise and rationalization"
KHVol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
speedracertdi
Studly Adventurer
 
speedracertdi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Hollywood, FL
Oddometer: 985
When they first opened, they had great name brand products. Now they have Chinese shit under their own private labels like Bilt and Sedici. The staff are still great, helpful, and friendly. Marketing is A+. They had a good idea with their business model, too bad they found more profit in hocking crap. I hate to say it but I'll give them 12-18 months before they start downsizing and 24-30 months before they file bancruptcy. CG if you're lurking and see this thread, get rid of the high profit chinese shit, go back to your roots and stock the brand name stuff real motorcyclists want to invest their money in. You current profit margin is short lived and will begin to taper off quickly very soon.
__________________
Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads.
-Doc Brown
speedracertdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:57 PM   #11
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Madison, WI and/or Charleston, SC
Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracertdi View Post
When they first opened, they had great name brand products. Now they have Chinese shit under their own private labels like Bilt and Sedici. The staff are still great, helpful, and friendly. Marketing is A+. They had a good idea with their business model, too bad they found more profit in hocking crap. I hate to say it but I'll give them 12-18 months before they start downsizing and 24-30 months before they file bancruptcy. CG if you're lurking and see this thread, get rid of the high profit chinese shit, go back to your roots and stock the brand name stuff real motorcyclists want to invest their money in. You current profit margin is short lived and will begin to taper off quickly very soon.
^^ this. Also bring back oil filters other than K&N. If I wanted to pay $15 for a spin-on oil filter, I know where the dealer is.

Great staff (mostly) on my end of the country as well, though it seems they like to hire a good mix of motorcyclists of all ages, races and genders to help customers plus a few stupid young, white tweeker girls to work the cash registers. It's OK people, I'll still shop in your store even if I have to buy wheel weights from a guy or a woman over 25.

When I moved here a couple years ago I was stoked to be able to buy gear in person again (after missing Denver's Performance Cycle), but now that CG is all their own brand crap I'm back to the usual online ordering. I did get some good stuff at the "motobash" event a couple weekends ago, though.
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:07 PM   #12
Afry
Why hike?
 
Afry's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Ramona, Ca
Oddometer: 533
Cycle Gear = Harbor Freight
__________________
KTM 950 SE
KTM 525 EXC X2


Get on with riding or get on with dying - one or the other
Afry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:59 AM   #13
watchmen
Gnarly Adventurer
 
watchmen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Oddometer: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
I thought I saw some Dainese stuff in there, the last time I was in there, and Alpinestars (boots at least)....it may just be old inventory though.

I had a pair of Frank Thomas GP gloves and they were absolute shit, so glad I returned them. They developed HOLES near the armor after 3 Rides! WTF? I got a pair of Dainese gloves and they held up on a pavement lowside! If I had those FT gloves I'd hate to think about what might have happened to my hands....
They had Cortech jackets on closeout the last time I went. It was pretty depressing other than that. I remember going there a few years ago and they had a lot more brands.
__________________
2000 R1150GS
1994 DR350R
1978 XL125
watchmen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:28 AM   #14
Ape76
NB
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Long Slab in Midwest
Oddometer: 169
There are other threads regarding CG products with the same outcome mostly. Guess they make higher margins on their own brands but really have no idea how the quality is .

I may have given them a shot if I could actually see the product in person but can't locally...
Ape76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 10:57 AM   #15
Stegerman
MotoOCD sufferer
 
Stegerman's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: SW Idaho
Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape76 View Post
There are other threads regarding CG products with the same outcome mostly. Guess they make higher margins on their own brands but really have no idea how the quality is .

I may have given them a shot if I could actually see the product in person but can't locally...
Well, now you don't have to. I have returned the 2 Bilt products I tried.

1) 2 pair summer riding gloves, one developed a whole after a week and the other the velcro gave it up after 2 weeks.
2) Bought a cover for my bike. It worked really well except it let water and dirt in.
__________________
2000 R1150GS- ZenPig
2003 F650GS (sold)

formally trained to screw with people's minds..
Stegerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014