User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2006, 02:01 PM   #1
Crush OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
100gspd Brake Upgrade

Seems to me that I read somewhere that a left 4 pot caliper from an 1150gs can be adapted to the 100gspd to improve the front brake. I of course cannot find where I read that. I have read the various threads about using a nissan or harrison calipers and the large rotor from MAP. I was just curious about the brembo off an 1150gs.

Thanks, Dennis
Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 03:14 PM   #2
Spanish Bob
I dont know where I am.

Oddometer: 2,081
Actually I think that they are from the K1100. They need to be machined a little to fit.

I wouldnt contemplate putting very effective calipers on standard airhead GS forks. I know Jorge (Rubber Cow) really likes his, but i would get scared that the bike would "cross hers legs" under stress! Jorge knows more than me so...
Old 06-11-2006, 04:59 PM   #3
Rubber Cow
GS Dork

Oddometer: 5,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Bob
Actually I think that they are from the K1100. They need to be machined a little to fit.

I wouldnt contemplate putting very effective calipers on standard airhead GS forks. I know Jorge (Rubber Cow) really likes his, but i would get scared that the bike would "cross hers legs" under stress! Jorge knows more than me so...
Um....gee.....thanks I guess but I'm think I'm better described as a "horrible warning" not so much as a "good example".
I like my Harrison 6 pot and the MAP 300mm Rotor and the Galfer Green pads and the Galfer Stainless line....Everything but the MAP rotor came on the bike when I bought it used. It worked very well but the front end was a typical R100GS stock, mushy mess.
I installed a Race Tech Gold Valve and upped the oil weights to 10 and 15 wt (rebound/compression) and all was good.

I've set up three other GS with Race Tech FIRST, before any brake mods and I think that this is my preferred way to do it. The last bike I set up was Sarah's in Palo Alto....she weighs nothing and rides like a respectable citizen so the stock brake & rotor works fine for her. I did add a Galer stainless line at the same time as the Race Tech and the difference was very noticeable. My suggestion is that you start there and move on to better pads and then calipers and then rotors....
Cheers,
Jorge

"Woof, woof woof woof ...woof woof!!!!!!!!!"
Cricket the Dog-RIP
Rubber Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 05:27 PM   #4
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,566
I put two 4-pot early oilhead calipers on my R100RT and all that was required to fit it was to mill down the mounting surface enough to center the caliper on the disc. Not much milling was required and plenty of stock was left. I would think the same thing would work with the GS. The mounting holes were the same for the early oilhead and the stock Brembo. One that may work without modification is a caliper from an R100R. They had the 4-pot Brembos from the factory. I did have to change to a larger master cylinder (15mm) to get the action right. With a single caliper you may need a smaller one than mine did.
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 06:03 PM   #5
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,333
This has been posted in the past but here it is again. Following pic
is a 4 pot brembo from a K1100RS on my '93 GSPD. I believe I had to mill 2mm off both the fork slider and the caliper in order to center it onto the rotor. Galfer SS brake line and Galfer Green brake pads further compliment it. I still need to upgrade to a 15 mm magura master cylinder which should compliment the braking even more.

GSPD750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 11:48 PM   #6
Spanish Bob
I dont know where I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Cow
I installed a Race Tech Gold Valve and upped the oil weights to 10 and 15 wt (rebound/compression) and all was good.
Jorge - I will try to describe you better next time

The race tech option sounds interesting - any web sites with info on this?
The fork oil, the hoses and pads (I was thinking EBC HH - but Galfer would be good) plus progressive springs were on my list. I will keep thinking about the calipers!

Ive just bought a R100GS PD classic with 8k miles from 1995 and ridden it from Stuttgart to Barcelona this weekend and I can tell you the the brakes need to be refined a little!
Old 06-12-2006, 05:44 AM   #7
Rubber Cow
GS Dork

Oddometer: 5,307
Quote:
Jorge - I will try to describe you better next time

The race tech option sounds interesting - any web sites with info on this?
The fork oil, the hoses and pads (I was thinking EBC HH - but Galfer would be good) plus progressive springs were on my list. I will keep thinking about the calipers!

Ive just bought a R100GS PD classic with 8k miles from 1995 and ridden it from Stuttgart to Barcelona this weekend and I can tell you the the brakes need to be refined a little!
Here's a link to the AirHeads instal notes,Linky I can send you a word doc that I put together several years ago.
If you install the Race Tech I'd suggest that you stay with the stock springs. Progressives plus the Race Tech make the front end way too stiff.
The Gold Vale is a cartridge emulator and is sold in pairs...You only need one for the R100 forks as only one leg of the forks deals with compression damping while the other is for rebound damping. Race Tech Europe
might be of some help but your best bet would eb to see if any Advriders here in the states want to split a pair with you.
Cheers,
Jorge

"Woof, woof woof woof ...woof woof!!!!!!!!!"
Cricket the Dog-RIP
Rubber Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:24 AM   #8
jellycow
Back on track?

Oddometer: 584
Okay, to bad these sites are in German but have a look at the pictures
http://http://www.powerboxer.de/inde...162&Itemid=145
They use the leftside pot of a r100r, which is the same as most brembo 4 pots, eighter 2V-R, K of 4V-R.
Take a look at ther picture #2 showing how the disk will not be aligned with the pot, some machining has to be done... A good solution for this is upgrading the disk to a HE one, http:/http://www.he-motorradtechnik.de/
(Look under BREMSE, scroll a bit to the first one you see, it's on a GS) they are 320mm and add a lot of stopping power to the standard pot as well. These disks come with a large spacer to fit between the wheel and the disk itself, if you take of 4.5 - 5 mm from this spacer it'll will fit without having to destroy eighter your fork-leg or the pot itself.
I use this combination and am very happy about it There is no need to change the master cylinder as far as I'm concerned.

clement
jellycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:27 AM   #9
Rogue Scout
Instigator Deluxe

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
Ive just bought a R100GS PD classic with 8k miles from 1995 and ridden it from Stuttgart to Barcelona this weekend
Stuttgart to Barcelona. There's a ride not everyone gets to do.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:24 AM   #10
Rogue Scout
Instigator Deluxe

Oddometer: 1,316
Links fixed......
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellycow
Okay, to bad these sites are in German but have a look at the pictures
http://http://www.powerboxer.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=162&Itemid=145
A good solution for this is upgrading the disk to a HE one, http://www.he-motorradtechnik.de/
(Look under BREMSE, scroll a bit to the first one you see, it's on a GS)
Old 06-12-2006, 08:43 AM   #11
Spanish Bob
I dont know where I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Scout
Stuttgart to Barcelona. There's a ride not everyone gets to do.
What can I say Im a lucky man!

I will look at this is detail -I need to get the bike re registered first before I start playing around or the the men from TV barcelona might get me!

bob
Old 06-12-2006, 10:00 AM   #12
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,407
on the brake upgrade note:

I've been wondering if it's possible to take the double rotor system, i.e., the entire front fork and all from an r100r and swap them out onto a gs.

Looks like that's be alot easier if you could get one that's being parted out.

I suspect if this was that easy, i'd have heard of it by now... but it never hurts to ask.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 12:42 AM   #13
jellycow
Back on track?

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Scout
Links fixed......
Sorry, noob thought they worked..
jellycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:49 PM   #14
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,407
Which is it?

A - nobody ever thought of this and they're busy pondering
B - The post # snobs decided I'm too much of NoOb to merit an answer
C - It's such an old topic they think it's a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew
on the brake upgrade note:

I've been wondering if it's possible to take the double rotor system, i.e., the entire front fork and all from an r100r and swap them out onto a gs.

Looks like that's be alot easier if you could get one that's being parted out.

I suspect if this was that easy, i'd have heard of it by now... but it never hurts to ask.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:11 PM   #15
RocketJ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
Yes it would be easy. Bolts right up.
Only 5 3/4" travel and about 5 " shorter overall.
RocketJ is offline   Reply With Quote