Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2015, 02:11 PM   #1
PastRedline OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 51
KTM - Self Maintenance?

Hi-

Recently picked up a 690 Enduro R, which will be used as an adv touring bike. Coming off an F800GS.

I was reading over the service schedule for the new bike and it seems like, especially with the much simpler motor, I should probably just do all the maintenance myself. Especially since I'd like to know the bike pretty well, in case something goes wrong in the field. It looks like the service DVD is about $25.

I always took the beemer in, mostly to avoid warranty hassles and I'm not sure it ever did me any good - the only part that was ever covered under warranty was a fuel pump - and that was 700 miles from home on a trip - so the "goodwill" I had built up with my local shop did me absolutely no good.

Any thoughts? Are KTM's particularly tricky to work on, or require a lot of specialty tools, or is KTM obnoxious about warranty issues if you work on everything yourself? Would it be good enough to just record the maintenance I do and call it a day? How does everyone handle fault codes? Just ignore until they become FI lights? Or is there an equivalent to the GS-911?

ETA: Looks like "TuneECU" works for this bike. Do I just need the USB OBDII cable?

Thanks,

-Kyle

PastRedline screwed with this post 03-23-2015 at 02:14 PM Reason: Add TuneECU note
PastRedline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:35 PM   #2
alongat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
The 690 is a piece of cake to work on and self-maintain (depending on your skills, etc.). It requires no specialized tools that I can think of but if it does, they're readily available online and/or at dealers. Yes, tuneECU and yes, you'll need the interface cable (buy or build - I say just buy it and be done with it) and to download tuneECU onto your computer of choice at zero cost).
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:37 PM   #3
PastRedline OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by alongat View Post
The 690 is a piece of cake to work on and self-maintain (depending on your skills, etc.). It requires no specialized tools that I can think of but if it does, they're readily available online and/or at dealers. Yes, tuneECU and yes, you'll need the interface cable (buy or build - I say just buy it and be done with it) and to download tuneECU onto your computer of choice at zero cost).
Great to hear! Thank you. I'll proceed down that path. Got a few more miles until I need to do break-in service, but since I can't seem to wipe that grin off my face, I'm sure I'll rack up the rest of the break-in quickly.

-Kyle
Old 03-23-2015, 06:13 PM   #4
ztrab
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
user friendly

Don't know what year you have, but I have been doing all my own maintenance other than fuel/engine mapping on my 09 using the shop manual. I just did my 12K fuel filter service - used oem filter from RR and reusable hose clamps so I can field swap it, though that is remote likelyhood, after 6 k the filter was pretty clean. I carry a spare pump & filter, clamps and fuel line so I can do a pump swap - you just have to practice feeding the line back into the tank until you get the twist right - very little force once you have the lines in the tank properly. I would guess I can do a pump swap in 20 minutes or less in the field, same with a filter, or 30 min for both. Again very easy. I carry spare disconnect o-rings and injector rail o-rings - don't head off into the wild without them, The injector can be reversed in the rail for a simple clog pretty easily. Valve clearance is supper easy as the TDC is clearly marked on the cam grear, at 12K I replaced the rocker arms with an updated set, though I probably was safe for another 10 K on the originals, clearances were still in spec. I pulled all the smog control stuff off and put a bypass dongle on the kickstand. I have run this through Baja a number of times and almost all of my 13 K is off road, lots of gnarly trails - it has been very reliable- only a few self induced problems that I was able to field remedy. Stock suspension sucks, had the fronts re-valved and shimmed, rear too. I rode a 2015 through so rocky sections in Baja for a tired rider, after putting in more rebound damping and backing off the compression, it was better on low speed but the owner was still complaining of high speed harshness - that is pretty common complaint solved with better shim stacking and gold valves.

Anyway, I have found the bike very user friendly - I have 2-525 exc and a a bunch of BMW's, this is probably the easiest to service, just my opinion though. Enjoy
05 ZX 10 Track bike - (see above)
06 GSXR 600 Track Bike -ditto above :-)
06 525 EXC
06 525 EXC motard
07 12 GS for Jr. with a brand new motor12/09!
06 525 EXC for Jr., new motor, ugh
09 690 Enduro R... I know, I know
ztrab is offline   Reply With Quote