Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #91
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
yeah I wondered that too. especially now since BMW has said the dirt market is dead and we're completely out.

i'm sure the CCM guys are now saying , uh why the hell did we pick BMW and that engine. they better figure out a new setup pronto or no one is gonna touch it for fear that BMW will provide zero help and diminishing parts. add to that the aftermarket never fully embrace the 450 BMW.

I understand there is no ideal motor but why pick the engine from way in left field? when you're in bum-fuck east with problems I can tell you you'll find no BMW 450 support. you will find KTM 450 support as well as Yamaha and Honda support.

no doubt it is a way cool bike but they have shoe horned it into a very narrow group of buyers.
That engine was always, and still is, built by Kymco (partner/part financier to the current incarnation of CCM), as is the Husqavarna version...

I imagine there will be a supply of engine parts & consumables as long as there are TE449s on the road, and similarly the G450X (BMW wont simply abandon their customers, not in the short term anyway) - and you'll be able to order parts directly from CCM/Kymco anyway?

The Husqavarna version was certainly improved over the original G450X spec, with better oil routing etc after BMW/Speedbrain's first Dakar outing in 2010 - so eventually we may well see this CCM with the 'Husky version of the engine installed...

On a side note. Despite BMW selling off Husqavarna, it would seem that the Speedbrain 449 Rally bikes do still have a foreseeable future (as would the TE449 enduro) as that particular engine supply is not from BMW per se.

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #92
jasonmt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I wasnt thinking about ease of CS sprocket changing,more about testers who seemed to think it made for wonky rear suspension action. And some how no matter what bike this engine goes in,excess weight seems to play into the picture. CCM has built a neat bike though,wonder if they'll ship any over here?

Signed,KTM Troll.
Going from a KTM 530 to the Husky 449 the CTS rear suspension feels and reacts differently than the PDS on the KTM but it only takes a couple of rides to figure out how to adapt your riding style to suit and the CTS bikes climb like no others, especially on washed rocks ranging from 10-30cm across.
jasonmt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #93
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I wasnt thinking about ease of CS sprocket changing,more about testers who seemed to think it made for wonky rear suspension action...
Yes that's right - BMW seemed to think it [a concentric output shaft] would stop the rear end extending and compressing under power, and therefore improve traction - but it seems it wasn't particularly successful... or if it was, it just felt weird to riders not used to it! - I'm sure using a PDS style shock/no linkage didn't help either...

As part of the TE449 development, the Husqavarna chassis incorporated a linkage (as does the CCM chassis) which helps to make the suspension action and handling more 'traditional', so I don't imagine the CCM will suffer in the same way as the G450X did?

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #94
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
Yes that's right - BMW seemed to think it [a concentric output shaft] would stop the rear end extending and compressing under power and improve traction, but it seems it wasn't particularly successful... or if it was, it just felt weird to riders not used to it! - I'm sure using a PDS style shock/no linkage didn't help either...
Jx
I recall reading an article about a fellow who developed a 4bar linkage mount for the rear swingarm. It gave you the equivalent of an extremely long swingarm, and almost completely eliminated engine power affecting the height of the rear suspension. Racers didn't like it because they had learned how to use that "problem" to their advantage. I bet it felt weird.

Kind of like something I read about rally cars - experienced drivers did better with rear wheel drive (because they could use excess power to pitch the car to the correct angle), but inexperienced drives did better with front wheel drive because it was more forgiving if you gave it too much throttle. 'Course, everybody did better with 4wd.....

This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic. (Originally Posted by Human Ills, 7/1/14)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #95
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadester View Post
I recall reading an article about a fellow who developed a 4bar linkage mount for the rear swingarm. It gave you the equivalent of an extremely long swingarm, and almost completely eliminated engine power affecting the height of the rear suspension. Racers didn't like it because they had learned how to use that "problem" to their advantage. I bet it felt weird.
Mert Lawwill, of "On Any Sunday" fame. IIRC he developed it for (some of the first full suspension) mountain bikes, but more recently he was building tricked up street-trackers out of XR1200s...

Varying the geometry of something like that you can make a bike which will do all sorts of things when you open the throttle. ISTR Lawwill had the XR set up to jack the rear up on the power, counteracting the weight transfer - you couldn't wheelie it.

My nerdy side (I'm a mechanical engineer by profession) would love to build a bike with a four-bar rear end and a Hossack front end - which is essentially the same thing.

(Edited to add: and arguably there's also a lot in common with the failure of the Hossack front end to catch on, and the criticism of the G450 - there are benefits, but the behaviour is downright strange to someone used to 'conventional' setups.)

I think the idea behind the BMW was the opposite - without drawing it out to check, I'm pretty sure a concentric sprocket will always compress the suspension on the power - on a dirt bike, encouraging the bike to transfer weight over the rear might help the rear tyre dig in.

www.dashmoto.net
dashmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:56 AM   #96
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Emailed CCM to check a few things, seriously considering slapping a deposit on one of these bad boys. I know a few people who ride CCMs as trail bikes and they're nowhere near as 'cheap' looking/feeling or unreliable as you'd imagine, if you had only read about them online.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #97
minkyhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
when it comes down to it and you look at the equivilent in ktm exc range ..your into 7300 new and then 1275 for a plain fairing and 700 plus pounds for a auxilery tank then some sort of luggage rack is required .. maby a headlamp upgrade to compete with the ccm spec .. so around 9500 to buy a 690 in simalar spec ...well on paper anyway

you have of course a dealer network and a proven track history with ktm and it would be logically a safer option

the alloy bonded frame has been used in the ccm motorcross bikes and is at least one part proven i extream conditions and it really is a special peice of work
a few more photoes recently released underline what ive seen that the ccm is going to be a quality item out of the box

the hard panniers dont appeal to me but its not often you see a bike kitted out with tins remaining as narrow as it does

minkyhead screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 05:06 PM
minkyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #98
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,683
Nice! Any more updates?
Old 04-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #99
Fishfund
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Yes, please more updates. This is sounding like my dream bike. CCM, please let me buy this in America and keep me from settling for a WR250R.
Fishfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #100
minkyhead
Gnarly Adventurer

all quiet at the moment
ive spoken to mr clewes ..clewes competition motorcycles ...CCM

im expecting a information pack by e mail very soon ...production will begin soon for delivery late july early august

apparantly they have had huge interest in the bike and a lot of orders since i last visted the site .. over 200 customers have contacted ccm
i take this as good news as the longer term future of the bike and back up must surly be better with more buyers ??

when i get the info pack ill come back on
im sure looking forward to this bike ,, it bucks the trend of huge weight and huge engines
Old 04-30-2013, 12:35 AM   #101
Fishfund
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
you're stretching it a bit. having lived in Mexico for a year and traveled extensively through much of Central America you have to really check your speed for all the things in the road and coming at you. sure you may get over 50 and cruise at 70 at times but much of the travel is lower than the US. a broad power 5 spd would be ideal.
I'm sorry for stretching it, and lying about the speeds that I travel.
Fishfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:56 AM   #102
D.Sanchez
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Thanks for the update!

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkyhead View Post
apparantly they have had huge interest in the bike and a lot of orders since i last visted the site .. over 200 customers have contacted ccm
i take this as good news

no wonder. i think there is a big demand for adventure style lightweight bikes. take a look at the prices they call for the old 640 adventures.

really looking forward to this bike!!
D.Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #103
minkyhead
Gnarly Adventurer

a link to new ccm information request page

http://www.ccm-motorcycles.com/times...QFM=1350979201
Old 04-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #104
PhiSig1071
What's ******width?

Oddometer: 2,305
Really interested in the bike. Subscribing to keep on top of the new developments.

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
PhiSig1071 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #105
minkyhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Sanchez View Post
Thanks for the update!

no wonder. i think there is a big demand for adventure style lightweight bikes. take a look at the prices they call for the old 640 adventures.

really looking forward to this bike!!

a decent one 7 years old is comanding big money ...over 5000 pounds not being unusual ..shes still a very tall perch though

is this because the ktm is so good or is it because theres so little
options available to the buyer that fits the bill

a bit of both i would be my guess
..i really think they missed the boat with te 690 .. a little to much to the off road bias.

.negleting comfort and tank range weather protection carrying racks and such

i think shunk the market for it ..i was very dissapointed when i first saw the specs
its a cool bike alright but the bits i wanted were missing

a drz on steroids was my first thought ..nothing wrong with that of course ..but in reality not much more practical than a drz ouit of the box albeit a shedload quicker ..which sadly is not my first prority

a shedload more managable ..may result in me going quicker and further in one day ...if that makes sense

still theres time yet

a lot of people want a more balenced bike for road and trail one of the basic appeals of the ccm was as soon as i sat on it ..i thought i can manage this in hard terrain it felt like a xr250 in height and weight ..and not to put meself down too much i can ride a xr250 over most tough trails without that much drama
good fairing ..usable screen very comfy goodtank range .the cycle parts themselves ground clearance look more than up to my travel plans and should my limited skills fail me [again] i feel i can stck me feet down and not break a leg even with a tent strapped to it

.. im getting a bit older nearer to 60 than 50 so i loved the concept

the reality ....heres hoping

somtimes booking a holiday ad waiting to go is better than the holiday itself

hoping for a good one

this bike may be a pot of gold at the end of my rainbow [puke ] he he

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

minkyhead screwed with this post 06-09-2013 at 10:41 AM
minkyhead is offline   Reply With Quote