User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
Fudge OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
S-Plugs compared to ER6i

My Etymotics are on the verge of dying. I'm going to take a shot at repairing them, but if I fail I was wondering how the S-Plugs compared. They certainly look like they fit well. Is the sound quality and noise isolation comparable? How durable are they?

http://www.plugup.com/the_S_plug_ste...rbuds_s/67.htm

I know they have a 30 day guarantee, but wanted some input.
Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
mcstark
KaTooM convert

Oddometer: 1,042
I haven't had the Ety's, but my S-Plugs are excellent. The noise isolation is pretty close to what they claim. I've had 30db rated earplugs and I can hear a little more noise with the S-Plugs - rated at 28db. The sound is excellent and they seal very well. The cable and shielding appears to be very durable. Because of their cost, I'm pretty careful with them but they show no signs of wearing out. You can buy replacement tips and if they break they can be repaired by PlugUp. The drivers are hearing aid units, so their quality is top-notch.

I bought mine at the BMW MOA rally in Sedalia, and spoke with Marilyn. They strike me as a small company of pretty honest people - just my impression from a 10 minute conversation. I had no problem paying the money.

2004 KTM 950 Adventure
Black is the new orange
mcstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
docwells7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,312
I'll be checking out this thread. Not so happy with the fit of the new etymotic replacement for the Er6is that I love so much. I have one set that are slowly starting to come apart at the connections. Won't be long before I get a short. These look good, but do seem a bit steep. Definitely look to be comfortable. I'd also have to see how big the flanges are. Even the biggest etymotic plugs don't really seal that well since they did a slight redesign.
IBA#25276
Airhead#9654
docwells7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
Old Blue
Shallow waterman

Oddometer: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwells7 View Post
I'll be checking out this thread. Not so happy with the fit of the new etymotic replacement for the Er6is that I love so much. I have one set that are slowly starting to come apart at the connections. Won't be long before I get a short. These look good, but do seem a bit steep. Definitely look to be comfortable. I'd also have to see how big the flanges are. Even the biggest etymotic plugs don't really seal that well since they did a slight redesign.
Subscribed. My much-loved ER6is are getting pretty worn at the connections.
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
Bearcat263
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
guess i got lucky and found a new pair to buy while they were still out there and have been using the originals for like eight plus years had to fix cord once and there still working. i've either been real lucky or real careful knock on wood don't know why they quit making them they work well just my two cents worth
Mike

2012 KTM990
Bearcat263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
Fudge OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Thanks for the responses so far. One detail that also attracts me about the S-Plug is you can order them with a shorter cord like 22". Since I connect my ear-buds to my iPod shuffle stuck to my helmet I don't need all of the cord length.

So far I am hearing nothing but positives regarding the S-Plugs, other than cost. IMHO the cost isn't too bad if they work as they claim and last for more than a couple of years.
Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,241
Hi

Before i got the S-plug iīve used the ER6i. ER6i are the best iīve tried at the time i got them. For the price they vvhere really great, they died vvhile travelling. They hold up pretty good, but cables could have been more sturdy.
Then relevation came and i pulled the trigger on a dual monitor s-plug before i vvent to afghanistan. Holy covv this is the deal. Bought them for motorcycling because of the uality and dual monitor. Iīve been home r from Afghanistan in 12 months from novv and i still use them. Though i havenīt ridden much bike since my project isnīt finish yet.

They are damn avvsome and you vvont be returning these.

Mikael
Denmark
Old 01-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,389
I lost my ER6is.....I still hope to find them someday.

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote