Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #16
Motornoggin
Two-Bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 20,954
It's very common. I even stock multiple head sets, bolts and timing component kits and sell them often.

Getting very difficult (at least in my area) to find head cores and remaned heads as well (or even remaned engines for that matter).

My Wyoming has an East infection.

http://motornoggin.smugmug.com
Motornoggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #17
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,928
I traded my 2001 Outback at 132,000 miles because of the ticking time bomb head gasket issue. The car ran great, but I just didn't want to get stuck with that kind of cash outlay for engine work on a car that was worth less than 5 grand. Plus, the slush box in those cars was a habitual premature up shifter.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #18
Mazaev OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
So they replied to my concerns and offered for me to back out of the sale. I did, because first of all, there is no point in buying something that will always feel like it's going to break any time now. Also, because they figured out after my dealer call that the $1500 they spent (and used to justify the price) was actually for one of their other cars. Basically, dodged a bullet.

Guess I'm still on the prowl for a cage then...
Mazaev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:03 AM   #19
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,073
If you get past 2002 the head gasket issue diminishes greatly. Have you read this? http://users.sisna.com/ignatius/subaru/headgasket.html
We ran Subarus for many years and had great service from them. I bought a 2002 Forester knowing full well the HG's could go if not already done (auction car, no history) but bought it priced accordingly. The left side started weeping oil 6 months later. Had the engine yanked and resealed; problem solved for probably the rest of it's life. Got rid of it at 167,000 or so mostly because we were just tired of it. The previous Impreza I dumped at 220,000+ because the a/c finally quit.

They are generally solid vehicles with few, easily researched issues. Unfortunately, the HG one is a expensive concern. The utility and fun-to-drive qualities made the negatives worth putting up with for us. There just weren't many other choices that met the criteria back then. I toyed with getting another Forester last year but the prices were quite high on the used ones and we wound up buying a Jeep Patriot (of all things), another vehicle on the surface people assume is a POS but actually has proven quite dependable aside from a few quirks (ball joints, mostly). I still like Subarus but the styling of the new ones is a complete turn-off.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:22 AM   #20
seuadr
Wee-stromer

Oddometer: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazaev View Post
So they replied to my concerns and offered for me to back out of the sale. I did, because first of all, there is no point in buying something that will always feel like it's going to break any time now. Also, because they figured out after my dealer call that the $1500 they spent (and used to justify the price) was actually for one of their other cars. Basically, dodged a bullet.

Guess I'm still on the prowl for a cage then...
glad you got out of it.. sounds shady.

also seemed kind of pricey for what it is.. i only paid a little more than that for a 2006 forester with similar miles
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #21
RockyRaccoon
Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer: 59,607
I have a 2007 Impreza with a 2.5 engine. It had to have the head gaskets changed at 150,000 miles

The catalytic converter had to be replaced at 168,000

At 70,000 it need an output shaft bearing in the manual transmission, which was fortunately covered by the extended warranty

“It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled seas of thought.” -- John Kenneth Galbraith
RockyRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:24 PM   #22
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,218
I had a 2002 Impreza Outback Sport Wagon.

I loved that car, but it ATE rear wheel bearings. I had them replaced at 60k and 100k, and it was about a $1200 job both times from an independent shop I trusted. Don't even want to know what the dealer cost would be. We traded the car with 120k on it, and the head gaskets had started to weep a little, but it was other nickel and dime stuff that bugged me - AC compressor was a big one.

Of course we traded it on a 2008 Forester - same motor. It now has close to 90k on it, with (knock on wood) very few problems - mostly fit and finish rattle stuff, and a broken washer fluid hose. We hope to keep it for another year or two since it's paid off, and we moved a lot closer to work, so we're not putting as many miles on our cars. My guess is that when it comes time to get rid of it, we'll end up with an Outback to replace it. My wife really likes the Subaru's, and the AWD is still the best of any car I've ever driven - that thing will go through anything.

I had a co-worker come in late to a meeting last week because his car died (transmission failed). It was a 2002 Forester. It had 230,000 miles on it, and he'd had no issues up to that point, so yeah, they make some good cars. I think the main issue with the head gaskets is that with the boxer there are two of them and so the job is pretty spendy.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:11 AM   #23
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by discochris View Post
I had a 2002 Impreza Outback Sport Wagon.

I loved that car, but it ATE rear wheel bearings. I had them replaced at 60k and 100k, and it was about a $1200 job both times from an independent shop I trusted. Don't even want to know what the dealer cost would be. We traded the car with 120k on it, and the head gaskets had started to weep a little, but it was other nickel and dime stuff that bugged me - AC compressor was a big one.
ouch. for the impreza the legacy bearings were a different part number, a perfect fit and somehow a better part.

holy shit, normally it was about $300 for parts and labor for one side.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #24
ultane
sqeezin the bag

Oddometer: 1,079
Subaru has changed the design of their head gaskets three times since 2008. They also have a specially formulated coolant for their boxer engines. If you use another coolant, you can kiss your gaskets good bye.

I might be wrong... Just ask my X...

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,... Is he still wrong?

Sent from my party line rotary dial iPhone using Tapatalk

If a man speaks, and there is no woman present to hear him,..
Is he still wrong?
ultane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #25
Mazaev OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Seems like the WRXs don't have the gasket issue, and are more fun to drive. If only their resale value wasn't so damn high.

But yeah.. I'll be keeping an eye out for an unmolested WRX wagon or a 9-2x.

Mazaev screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 12:18 PM
Mazaev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:22 PM   #26
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazaev View Post
Seems like the WRXs don't have the gasket issue, and are more fun to drive. If only their resale value wasn't so damn high.

But yeah.. I'll be keeping an eye out for an unmolested WRX wagon or a 9-2x.
This seems to be true, I haven't heard of the turbo engines having HG problems (at least not more than any car out there). Sometimes you can find a legacy GT turbo for a good deal, they're a bit more under the radar than the WRX.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #27
RockyRaccoon
Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer: 59,607
Here's an interesting video about a problem with oil starvation in the #4 cylinder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meaR...3A6-Q&index=46

“It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled seas of thought.” -- John Kenneth Galbraith
RockyRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #28
seuadr
Wee-stromer

Oddometer: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultane View Post
Subaru has changed the design of their head gaskets three times since 2008. They also have a specially formulated coolant for their boxer engines. If you use another coolant, you can kiss your gaskets good bye.
i haven't had head gaskets replaced, nor do i use any special coolant. i've got nearly 150k miles on mine and has not used a drop of coolant thus far. previous owner didn't replace head-gaskets either. far from empirical data, of course, but there you have it.
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #29
06ltd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
I have an 06 WRX. It's got 107k miles and has been gently molested its entire life. Stage 2 at 26k, stage 3 opensource at 60k and stage 3 protuned at 72k (300/325 :)). Not a single problem, stock clutch and tranny, been running Napa 50/50 and Mobil 1 synthetic since new. I plan to do a compression test when I change the plugs next, but the butt dyno says all is well. Maybe I'm just lucky.
06ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #30
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,255
I've owned 2 Subarus, My brother has owned 2 Subies as well.

Parents have had several.

My brother had issues with head gaskets. My parents got one of their own fixed gratis by Subaru.

Subarus are generally good vehicles, but they tend to have a lot of semi major issues.

The headgasket debacle is the big one, they also have frequent suspension issues. Most models also have issues with axle warping.

I won't buy another.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: