Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #16
Superpacman13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
I held it wfo for a while a clocked 110 mph on saharas, didn't seem to bother me. But you should go the speed you are comfortable, and pay no attention to those that say otherwise.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #17
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superpacman13 View Post
I held it wfo for a while a clocked 110 mph on saharas, didn't seem to bother me. But you should go the speed you are comfortable, and pay no attention to those that say otherwise.
This.

I had my XR650R WFO and tapped out in fifth more than twice. My "usual" speed all varies depending on the bike and the surface though it sounds like you're doing "right".

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:06 PM   #18
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,227
My DR650 feels like a super bike on gravel roads. Sixty feels like eighty and eighty feels like a hundred. Ya gotta look out for potholes, washouts and animals. You have to focus and look way ahead. Fun!
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #19
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,327
On the TransLab, one handed?

About 60 MPH, give or take.

-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #20
Hawk62cj5 OP
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
Thanks for your responses so far yall , Im not going to push it harder than I think I should but didnt want to be "that guy" if I ever went on some sort of group ride either . I run a jeep club so on trail rides every now and then we get "that guy" who screws up the pace by running too slow or doing off the wall things and makes it hard for everyone to enjoy themselves.
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #21
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
go the speed that feels good to you and the bike
be careful around dusk and dawn
as the animals come out to eat.
remember stopping distances are greater
i have felt unsafe at 5mph
and safe at over 100mph
my ex wife was travalling at about 80mph in w oz 1982 in cage
so we could not feel the corrugations
went over a small hill big left hander
freaks,lost it,
no scratches on her
i came ver,very close to having my left arm amputated
big mistake i should have divorced her then,lol

cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #22
Jailor8
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,132
Sounds

Sounds to me you have already found your happy spot. Surface, load on the bike, tires, size, type and pressure, moisture, type of Gravel all contribute to this.

The one thing that I will say and its been mentioned aready, Leave your self some Throttle "room". Because sometimes Grip it and Twist it is your only hope!! On the Gravel I have been on with the KLR with my loading, it seems that shifting down one and raising the RPMs a bit, meaning more power to the wheel is the way to go. Not always.

So in conclusion there is no hard answer!!

Good Luck, just keep riding and learn.

Jailor8
RIP my Cousin, Austin City Limits aka Terry Hammond
KTM950A, KLR685, KLR650, KLR250, KLX250, Honda Rebel, Foretrax Foreman 4x4
Jailor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #23
Jailor8
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,132
Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
Thanks for your responses so far yall , Im not going to push it harder than I think I should but didnt want to be "that guy" if I ever went on some sort of group ride either . I run a jeep club so on trail rides every now and then we get "that guy" who screws up the pace by running too slow or doing off the wall things and makes it hard for everyone to enjoy themselves.

DONT let the pressure of a group ride, take you above your skill level!!! Ride your own Ride. Period. And if the Group you ride with doesnt use something like "farm rules" when you ride then you need to teach it to them.

I have ridden with Guys that are ex racers that Im lucky to see their dust and tail lights. Its never a problem with farm rules. Nor is stopping to take a picture or a leak. Or fixing a flat by yourself. All thanks to Farm rules!!

If you want to know what Farm rules are PM me and I will explain, Its easy, even a KLR rider can do it!!

Jailor8
RIP my Cousin, Austin City Limits aka Terry Hammond
KTM950A, KLR685, KLR650, KLR250, KLX250, Honda Rebel, Foretrax Foreman 4x4
Jailor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #24
Fishenough
Team Lurker

Oddometer: 126
Not mentioned yet, but do you know; what the road surface is like, what animals may attempt an intercept and what times of day is this most likely, what's ahead of you? If it's your first time down a stretch, slowing it down a bit is a good idea, even in the long straights.
Fishenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:06 PM   #25
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Oh wait, are talking motorcycles? I have been offroad on mine once.
if you were on a gravel ROAD, you were not off road. You were merely off PAVEMENT. NOT the same thing at all.

Our house is located along a gravel road. Cars go by all the time. They are not off roading.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #26
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADW View Post
I'd agree with you, for my tastes 30-45 is about right on a gravel road....
Depends on the road conditions. There is no one answer. Could be 9 MPH (mud season with soft conditions and criss-crossing ruts), could be 90 MPH (hard packed, smooth, dry to slightly damp to keep the dust down and the fines stuck together)..
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #27
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid View Post
if you were on a gravel ROAD, you were not off road. You were merely off PAVEMENT. NOT the same thing at all.

Our house is located along a gravel road. Cars go by all the time. They are not off roading.
I'll give you that it was in fact a road, and yes it was a mixture of washboard clay chunks and gravel. I was not offroading either, but even going 5 mph I was getting jarred all over the place. On my father in laws KLR250 I could have easily maintained 40-45 mph or so. Different tools for different jobs and all that...
Old 01-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #28
Eye of the Tiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
I know for a fact that goats can run almost 30 MPH, so you have to do better than that.
Eye of the Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #29
Entrepre-neer
Ultimate Tight A$$

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
Im a newb and ride alone so I have nothing to gauge myself on . I spend alot of my time riding /exploring state maintained gravel roads and just wonder how fast do most people run . Ive noticed to me the bike feels good between 30-45 mph , slower or faster the handling feels like it degrades to me. Is this normal ? Im in no hurry when I ride so I doubt I really change but I was curious.
Definitely depends on the bike and the conditions. 30-50 usually feels like a safe cruising speed to me on my 450exc. Plenty of room to gas it and get the back out to bring it around or brake to avoid traffic/obstacles.

If you want to try some faster riding you should check out RallyMoto. Closed course racing on gravel roads free of traffic. and safety/EMS personnel at the ready if you screw it up. Top riders are hitting 80-90mph on the open stuff. Average stage speeds are 45-70mph. You don't have to be a super fast though. There are classes for all bike sizes and experience levels.
Here's a thread from last year's race in WV. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=764444

Search youtube for Rally WV to find lots of vids.

Next race is March 2 in SC.
Entrepre-neer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:33 PM   #30
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Anywhere between 20 mph to 50 mph depending on conditions. Being on a Ural, loose and slick surfaces are of little concern, suspension with only 4" of travel intended to carry weight, not to go fast or smoothly is the limiting factor.

3 wheel drifts on gravel are a hoot.