Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Anyone tried this tire bead tool on a 990 ADV?

Looking at getting one if they are useful on the big ADV wheels. I fell sucker to the stubby tire tools that dont scratch your wheels and brake as soon as you use them once before. This tool looks pretty sweet but does it have the nuts to brake the bead on the big bikes?

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/...%A2_tire_tool/
spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
m800mm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
I just use my side stand to break the bead, less tools to carry
m800mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
Wantajustride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
I asked the same thing (on another forum) and the answer from a vendor who sells them says,, yes it does. I'm still skeptical being the tool is only 10-11 inches long. And at a price point of around $70, I want to see one in action before I throw down the cash.

Motion Pro doesn't have a video out on it yet,,,, well they do,, it just doesn't show someone actually changing a tire.
It looks beefy enough.

WJR
"Walking thru life to an unknown destination and trying to enjoy the adventure getting there"
Wantajustride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by m800mm View Post
I just use my side stand to break the bead, less tools to carry
This isn't really answering his question ... I'm sure he's aware that others advocate the above.

Looking forward to hearing from someone who's used the tool in question. Looks like an interesting design.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:31 PM   #5
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
This isn't really answering his question ... I'm sure he's aware that others advocate the above.

Looking forward to hearing from someone who's used the tool in question. Looks like an interesting design.
Exactly... I can/ have used my side stand but these also double as tire spoons sooooooo theoretically you would be taking the same amount of tooling unless you can find away to remove tire without spoons?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:40 PM   #6
SierraJeep
It's toast

Oddometer: 626
I have this (set of) tool(s) and to be perfectly honest it didn't wow me all that much. It worked really well on the front tire, but on the big rear it took several tries (working my way around the rim) to get only small bites out of the bead. After two laps around the tire, I went back to the single big Motion Pro spoon with the 32mm combo and only then did it pop off quickly. The rear tire I tried this on was the Heidenau K 60 with those damn tubeless tire safety beads. I also did a quick test (on a Mefo Super Explorer) just to see if it worked any easier, but the results were about the same.

One gripe I had with it (other than spending the bucks for it) was that they are not very comfortable on the hands. After the bead is broken and you switch them around to use the spoon side, that hook and fork deal digs into your palm as you try and pry.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it about a 7 in terms of doing what it is advertized to do on the big Adventure Bike tires. (On a regular dirt bike tire I'd say maybe a 9.) As for the cost of the set, you may want to subtract 1 or 2 points depending on your budget.

The views and opinions are only those of the writer and not of this station, its management, its staff, or its sponsors. Your mileage may vary. Some assembly required. Light weight is a total joke, they weigh the same as two of your other tire irons. The black coating will scratch and wear off. Your rims will likely still get scratched on the trail side. No animals were harmed during the writing of this post. One squirrel got the shit scrared out of him as he changed his mind in front of me, but he survived. These tire irons will still fall off the tire stand when you need them.

2010 KTM 990 Adventure
2010 KTM 450 EXC
SierraJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:10 PM   #7
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJeep View Post
I have this (set of) tool(s) and to be perfectly honest it didn't wow me all that much. It worked really well on the front tire, but on the big rear it took several tries (working my way around the rim) to get only small bites out of the bead. After two laps around the tire, I went back to the single big Motion Pro spoon with the 32mm combo and only then did it pop off quickly. The rear tire I tried this on was the Heidenau K 60 with those damn tubeless tire safety beads. I also did a quick test (on a Mefo Super Explorer) just to see if it worked any easier, but the results were about the same.

One gripe I had with it (other than spending the bucks for it) was that they are not very comfortable on the hands. After the bead is broken and you switch them around to use the spoon side, that hook and fork deal digs into your palm as you try and pry.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it about a 7 in terms of doing what it is advertized to do on the big Adventure Bike tires. (On a regular dirt bike tire I'd say maybe a 9.) As for the cost of the set, you may want to subtract 1 or 2 points depending on your budget.

The views and opinions are only those of the writer and not of this station, its management, its staff, or its sponsors. Your mileage may vary. Some assembly required. Light weight is a total joke, they weigh the same as two of your other tire irons. The black coating will scratch and wear off. Your rims will likely still get scratched on the trail side. No animals were harmed during the writing of this post. One squirrel got the shit scrared out of him as he changed his mind in front of me, but he survived. These tire irons will still fall off the tire stand when you need them.
This is exactly what I was looking for thanks.....

I really didn't think this would bust the bead off quickly with a safety need but as long as it does the job that's what I'm looking for last time I needed to brake a need in a pinch the side stand wasn't working, too much slippage, so some like this may be what I'm after on the dirt bike tires I've always just stood on the dam thing one advantage to being a bit larger.....

But tell me does the tool hold up as in did you feel it would brake? Or show signs of excess use/force after one tire?
Old 01-22-2013, 06:13 AM   #8
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
Haven't used the Motion Pro tools, but I do carry and use one of these. Fits under the seat. Works great!

Available in the US from Sierra Expeditions for about $80.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro

DirtJack screwed with this post 07-01-2013 at 04:39 PM
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
spencergt66 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
Haven't used the Motion Pro tools, but I do carry and use one of these. Fits under the seat. Works great!

That would work for sure but looks a bit pricy to have here in the us... about 2x more then the motion pro
Old 01-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #10
Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer: 1,310
I used it on my 950 with Heidenau tires. Worked fine. Without that tool I had to use c clamp on the rear tire. I really like it.
It works even better now when I went to narrow excel rims.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #11
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,029
Another option is the Bead Breaker from Happy-Trail.

I've had great success with it.

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #12
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Oddometer: 1,703
Thumb

Kurt from Black Dog Cycle Works loaned me his set of those so I could change my rear tire on my 950 Adv on the side of the road. Once he showed me how they worked, they worked great I had to patch the tube so I took it apart twice and both times it broke the bead really easily

06 KTM 950 Adventure(The Fainting Goat)
02 F650GS DAKAR
2 KLR650s Travel bikes http://coffeemotorcycleswine.blogspot.com/
Xtremjeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #13
Wantajustride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
Kurt from Black Dog Cycle Works loaned me his set of those so I could change my rear tire on my 950 Adv on the side of the road. Once he showed me how they worked, they worked great I had to patch the tube so I took it apart twice and both times it broke the bead really easily
When you say "loaned me his set" you mean the Motion Pros worked great?
It would be good to see the technic on a youtube vid. Anyone seen or have a link to such a video?

I really like some of the design features of the MP set. Flat and easy to stow away.

WJR
"Walking thru life to an unknown destination and trying to enjoy the adventure getting there"
Wantajustride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #14
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Oddometer: 1,703
Yes, I thought the Motion Pros worked great, but only after I had them figured out. I agree a video would be helpful.

Not complicated but unless they were set up right they did not seem to work right.

06 KTM 950 Adventure(The Fainting Goat)
02 F650GS DAKAR
2 KLR650s Travel bikes http://coffeemotorcycleswine.blogspot.com/
Xtremjeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:55 AM   #15
Goggles Pizano
I'll B right back,promise

Oddometer: 218
tire change related

i know this does'nt quite fit this thread but how about this

http://www.kauritmoto.com/
Goggles Pizano is offline   Reply With Quote