Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 02:30 AM   #16
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 236
carry a bottle in my bags. used it once when i took a screw in the center of the rear tire and road the bike for 150 miles without incident. make sure you tell the guy fixin it you slimed it and you can not patch the tube, but who would want to. also, carry a spare tube just in case the slime fails.
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:32 AM   #17
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 236
and showkey, i used it on my 89 transalp what a great machine!!!
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:32 AM   #18
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
If by slime you really mean the product, Slime, as in the green stuff you pump in and leave, it's only mediocre in my experience. I've used it in wheelbarrows and lawn tractors and the like. It helped a bit on those that already had leaks. Generally though, after a trying Slime we'd replace the offending tire & tube. Never found it to work worth a darn on bead leaks or tubes. No experience with the pre-slimed or coated tubes.

If you mean generic fix-a-flat cans of goo, I've had them work ok on tubeless tires with a nail hole or such. Very messy, but reasonably effective. Will not work with a ruptured tube.

As for other Slime like prevatives, I've had some work quite well, but most did not.

I still have my tire plugs and tube patches, and they get used. Haven't been able to beat them with any cans of goo. I do tend to like the cans of goo in my lawnmower and wheelbarrow tires and such. Things that get ignored for months until they are flat. Seem to have less problems with them when gooed.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:39 AM   #19
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Slime

I've used slime in my atv tires since 2005 and have had great luck as in no flats. Have also used it in the lawn tractor tires and no flats. I've also used the grey stuff from the co-op they pump out of a drum and it has also worked. On one atv I did have to plug a big hole with three plugs that finally sealed up and its holding air 3 years later. All of my experience has been with tubeless tires.
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #20
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloRunner View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Seems like its about 50/50 on using it, understanding that its only for smaller punctures.

I'll update when I have a flat. Hopefully that will take a while.

Yes but several of those 50/50 are from Northern states where there are no prickly pear, ocotillo and mesquite thorns. All of us run it down in Southern NM or you would be changing tires constantly down here. Patches don't work on thorn penetration punctures.....5 miles later you just have a pinhole next to your patch! Who cares if it is messy? Change the tire and tube and toss it. If you don't like it there are several other brands to try. The last rear tube I changed had 5 thorn holes in it. Would you put on 5 patches? It will seal a hole as big as your valve stem (it tries to if you do not clear it with a QTip). If you don't use it in our desert bring tire spoons,a good pump, a gross of patches and patient riding buddies.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #21
Flydog
Flydog

Oddometer: 101
Slime

I have not been happy with anything I have used of this brand. I haven't tried the sealer but I have had two Slime compressors not work and I haven't liked the guages either. I avoid them now.
Flydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #22
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
It saved me a couple of times, and the girlfriends bycicle should be sponsered by slime, have used it a lof of times with great results.

I really dont think its messy, very easy to wipe away
Old 01-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #23
Adios Pantalones
AdventureDeficitDisorder

Oddometer: 2,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
Yes but several of those 50/50 are from Northern states where there are no prickly pear, ocotillo and mesquite thorns. All of us run it down in Southern NM or you would be changing tires constantly down here. Patches don't work on thorn penetration punctures.....5 miles later you just have a pinhole next to your patch! Who cares if it is messy? Change the tire and tube and toss it. If you don't like it there are several other brands to try. The last rear tube I changed had 5 thorn holes in it. Would you put on 5 patches? It will seal a hole as big as your valve stem (it tries to if you do not clear it with a QTip). If you don't use it in our desert bring tire spoons,a good pump, a gross of patches and patient riding buddies.
This.

Fuxxing cactus.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #24
Pork Butt
Save the USA

Oddometer: 57,206
FWIW ..... we were on a weekend ride on a NT700 2 up got up this morning 10 lbs of air in the rear (brand freakin new mounted last Thur)

we could not find any leaks and the rear of a NT is kinda of hard to get to anyway. So we pumped it up with air limped to the next town .. checked TP and it was down to 20 PSI

pumped it up again made it to the next town found a AutoZone bought a kit and proceded to Slime it. Well no shit it works ....mid way from Galax VA to Meadows of Dan we checked it and TP was spot on. Had lunch and headed down the BRP and stopped two more times on the way to Roanoke and not leaking at all.

I can't wait to pull the wheel and tire in the morning

600 miles on a Continental my first flat in over 30 years is on a brand new tire... who would have think it?

PB

Pork Butt screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 03:38 PM
Pork Butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:07 PM   #25
Pork Butt
Save the USA

Oddometer: 57,206
found the hole

what a freaking mess ...

PB
Old 05-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #26
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,651
Used it after I picked up a finishing nail in Mexico in a tubeless tire on my R1150R. I rode it another 2000 miles before I plugged the tire. No problems at all with either repair. It cleans up with lots of paper towels and soapy water. No big deal. Right now I've got Ride On in the tubes on my F650GS. Overall I've had good success with these products. I've also had good success with the Slime pumps.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #27
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flydog View Post
I have not been happy with anything I have used of this brand. I haven't tried the sealer but I have had two Slime compressors not work and I haven't liked the gauges either. I avoid them now.
I've had good luck with the compressor, but I recently had a bad experience with their patch kit. I had a pinch flat which I repaired and it held find for two days. On the third day, cruising down the freeway at 70 mph it gave and the front tire blew out. I've probably fixed 100 flats in my life (even worked at a bike shop) and I have never had a patch come off. I had a friend warn me against using them and now I'm a believer.
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:26 PM   #28
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
First tried it in college on a bicycle. Had a leak, fixed it. Clogged the valve stem once (drilled it out to fix it, remove core, insert power drill, yes it works). Worked until the tube literally blew inside the tire. Garden hose washed out what was left.

Few years later got an old truck. Didn't know much about tires and they started leaking. No obvious leaks so I slimed them. They shook bad at 30 MPH for the first few miles until the slime spread around. They did an OK job of masking the real problem, dry rotted tires delaminating. When it popped (parked in the driveway) it looked like it sprayed boogers all over the garage door. This was on the one and only time I ever used slime on a high speed tire.

For wheelbarrows, bicycles and other stuff prone to holes and no need to have balanced, I use it after the first leak as a repair and future preventative. Bicycle note, I don't have any of these new fancy high dollar lightweight bikes. I still run a good old fashion 20 year old heavy weight bike.

I have never tried slime in sub-freezing tempertures.
I consider it good in the proper applications, but not a fix all.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #29
mefadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692
Click on this link... you will see my riding conditions and a couple of photo's of my slime results....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=889018

Yes, I use slime for tubes, there is a difference. The tubless slime uses much larger fibers to clog the holes. The tube variety seems to have smaller fibers and more adhesion.
These horror story's about a full tire of slime when pulling a tube are obvious "slime overload" ! use only the suggested amount. Also holds true with a bounce problem... likely too much slime in the tube.
My 2-cents...
Old 05-30-2013, 11:54 AM   #30
Laconic
Gaulded

Oddometer: 15,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pork Butt View Post
what a freaking mess ...

PB
I wondered if you'd post up in here.
Laconic is online now   Reply With Quote