Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #1
topless OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Never forget rule #1

Riders rule number 1 is: every car is trying to kill you

My son was riding his Zuma125 to work one morning 5 weeks ago. He stopped at a red light that where he would cross 4 lanes to continue on a residential road to work. When the light turned green, there was a single car to his right about 1/2 block away. He looked to his left as he crossed the intersection, then back to the right, the car never slowed down. He saw 2 big eyes just before the impact. He remembers watching his shoes fly off, knowing his right leg was broken. After flying about 40 feet, he came down on his left side, breaking the corner of his tibia, (the lower part of his knee joint). He was wearing a motorcycle jacket and helmet, but not pants with knee and hip armour.
He had a pin placed in his right leg from knee to ankle. An "L" shaped bracket installed on the outside of his left knee to hold the piece that broke on impact with the ground. His didn't think he hit his head, but we got his helmet with the scooter and its got a 4" crack in the back of the crown. His elbow protection saved a broken arm or elbow when he landed, the bruise was huge and deep. Bruised ribs on both sides as well.
Scooter is totaled, he can't put weight on his left leg for 10-12 weeks or he could ruin the knee joint.

He's been riding on 2 wheels for over 30 years, since he was 5. His only fault in this was forgetting rule #1.
topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,910
Good advice

Sorry for your son's mishap.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
climbamt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Topless,

I hope that your son recovers quickly. When my son started riding this summer, I stressed to him that you NEVER win an encounter with an automobile.....

Thanks for sharing your story.
02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD
climbamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
tortoise2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by topless View Post
When the light turned green, there was a single car to his right about 1/2 block away. He looked to his left as he crossed the intersection, then back to the right, the car never slowed down. He saw 2 big eyes just before the impact.
Curious if a determination was made about why the car driver ran the red light . . inattention, distraction, impaired (such as the lingering effects of Ambien)?
tortoise2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,740
Glad to hear he's not dead. I would think watching my shoes fly off of my feet would induce nightmares for the rest of my life.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
Nihon Newbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
That's terrible. Red light runners scare me half to death on a regular basis. Glad to hear he survived, and was at least wearing more gear than a lot of scooter riders do. I hope he makes a smooth, strong recovery and keeps riding after that.
Nihon Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihon Newbie View Post
That's terrible. Red light runners scare me half to death on a regular basis. Glad to hear he survived, and was at least wearing more gear than a lot of scooter riders do. I hope he makes a smooth, strong recovery and keeps riding after that.
+1000

Glad is is basically ok.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
MiniBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
I'm glad your son is able to tell the story. I hope he heals quickly.

I also hope the car driver went to jail.
MiniBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:40 AM   #9
topless OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
The driver was obviously distracted with something. I don't know what statement he made to the police. He was ticketed for running the light and there was a witness. The witness was waiting to back out of their driveway and saw the whole thing. We live in Kansas where we have underinsured motorist coverage required by law. This guy had the bare minimum insurance coverage, $25,000 medical, but the motorcycle insurance added another $75,000. I have no idea what his surgery cost on both legs, but $25,000 probably didn't cover it. We didn't even know about the extra coverage until State Farm called to arrange pick up of the scooter.
I have always ridden with full gear including armored pants, and I have double checked my insurance coverage.
topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #10
hayasakiman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Your story reminded me of my own accident riding RZ350 many years ago. Two nights in the hospital.

Guardian angel was watching over your son for sure. Wish your son for full recovery.
hayasakiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #11
YZman
Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by topless View Post
Riders rule number 1 is: every car is trying to kill you
Isnt that the truth. I try to never forget it when on the bike

Sorry to hear about your son. Glad hes still with us though. Hopefully he makes a full recovery and gets back on the bike.
YZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #12
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Both my daughters started riding dirt bikes at about age 5. By age 12 they knew their way around an MX track very well, though they never raced. I beat myself to pieces racing MX as a teenager, and did not encourage them. I was also not the least bit upset when they showed no interest in street riding. I have come to the conclusion that there are very few things more dangerous than riding a motorcycle in traffic. When I started riding on the street back in '75, things were different. There was a lot less traffic, drivers seemed to have a better attitude and a lot more skill, and of course the big thing, there were no cell phones. So I got a lot of street experience before having to deal with things as they are today. I have been told by combat veterans that riding a motorcycle in traffic is about the same. I wouldn't doubt it.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote