Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
tmyhog OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
1190 R Manual Suspension Settings

Have a deposit on 1190R.
Reading the suspension setting in the manual.I get the compression and rebound setting.Section 12.4 describes adjusting the spring preload of the fork.
Could someone explain the following from the manual and what effect it will have on the front end suspension?
Turn clockwise to increase the spring preload; turn counterclockwise to reduce
the spring preload.
Adjusting the spring preload has no influence on the absorption setting of the
rebound damping.
Basically, however, you should set the rebound damping higher with a higher
spring preload
tmyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:28 AM   #2
tmyhog OP
Adventurer

I am thinking that the preload is more or less a master control and after you choose your preload than adjust rebound and damping?
Cannot wait to begin dialing in the suspension.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 1,713
The preload on springs will only change the height of the front or rear. It is very difficult to detect any difference when riding. It does not change the 'softness' or 'hardness' of the spring.

You may notice it only when dropping into dips. Less preload will give you more travel when the forks extend into dips or drops and prevent the forks 'toping out'.

I haven't seen the forks on the 1190 yet, but the 990 forks only have a 10mm height change from the spring preload. Very small change.

The compression damping setting has the greatest effect on how you feel bumps. If you want a plush ride, back the compression setting out (counter clock wise).
Old 10-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
Hoologan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
The more preload you add, the more force you will create on the rebound. You'll need to add some more rebound damping to overcome the greater force.

Hook's law is: F=kx

where:

F=force
k=spring rate (a property of the spring that does not change)
x=distance the spring is compressed (preload)

This is why wannabe tuner cars sometime bounce down the freeway. The cheap asses use stiffer "lowering springs" (or cut the springs, which increases the spring rate) but don't bother changing their shock valving so there's not enough damping for the stiffer spring.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:00 AM   #5
XsilverGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmyhog View Post
Have a deposit on 1190R.
Reading the suspension setting in the manual.I get the compression and rebound setting.Section 12.4 describes adjusting the spring preload of the fork.
Could someone explain the following from the manual and what effect it will have on the front end suspension?
Turn clockwise to increase the spring preload; turn counterclockwise to reduce
the spring preload.
Adjusting the spring preload has no influence on the absorption setting of the
rebound damping.
Basically, however, you should set the rebound damping higher with a higher
spring preload
I have an 1190 roadie without the electronic suspension so similar (but not identical) to your setup.

I was suffering bottoming of the rear suspension in brisk two-up riding on tarmac and centre stand dragging (see other threads on the site) with luggage with the preload set as per the "owner's manual".

For my model the "owner's manual" suggests the static sag to be 25mm and rider sag 55mm, for the rear suspension and suggests the normal preload should be 4 turns. I weigh 73 Kg so not overly heavy but to achieve the values for both sags given in the "owner's manual" require 9 turns of the preload adjuster. With the 9 turns both dimensions are satisfied.

The spring fitted to my bike is 170 N/mm.

My front suspension has only compression and rebound damping which I've set and feels fine for the job.

It may pay to check your preload settings for the rear. I'd be interested to know your results.
XsilverGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:18 AM   #6
tmyhog OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
The preload on springs will only change the height of the front or rear. It is very difficult to detect any difference when riding. It does not change the 'softness' or 'hardness' of the spring.

You may notice it only when dropping into dips. Less preload will give you more travel when the forks extend into dips or drops and prevent the forks 'toping out'.

I haven't seen the forks on the 1190 yet, but the 990 forks only have a 10mm height change from the spring preload. Very small change.

The compression damping setting has the greatest effect on how you feel bumps. If you want a plush ride, back the compression setting out (counter clock wise).
Thank You.I did think the preload would change the ride softness/hardness.Not any more.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:33 AM   #7
tmyhog OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoologan View Post
The more preload you add, the more force you will create on the rebound. You'll need to add some more rebound damping to overcome the greater force.

Hook's law is: F=kx

where:

F=force
k=spring rate (a property of the spring that does not change)
x=distance the spring is compressed (preload)

This is why wannabe tuner cars sometime bounce down the freeway. The cheap asses use stiffer "lowering springs" (or cut the springs, which increases the spring rate) but don't bother changing their shock valving so there's not enough damping for the stiffer spring.
So KTM sets the spring rate thru their choice of Springs.We can adjust the preload(how much weight on the springs)then rebound,Then compression.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:42 AM   #8
tmyhog OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XsilverGS View Post
I have an 1190 roadie without the electronic suspension so similar (but not identical) to your setup.

I was suffering bottoming of the rear suspension in brisk two-up riding on tarmac and centre stand dragging (see other threads on the site) with luggage with the preload set as per the "owner's manual".

For my model the "owner's manual" suggests the static sag to be 25mm and rider sag 55mm, for the rear suspension and suggests the normal preload should be 4 turns. I weigh 73 Kg so not overly heavy but to achieve the values for both sags given in the "owner's manual" require 9 turns of the preload adjuster. With the 9 turns both dimensions are satisfied.

The spring fitted to my bike is 170 N/mm.

My front suspension has only compression and rebound damping which I've set and feels fine for the job.

It may pay to check your preload settings for the rear. I'd be interested to know your results.
I do not have my 1190R yet.Patiently waiting.Learning.Thanks for the help.I will for sure check the preload on both front and rear.
The ability to manually set the suspension rather than have a programmed computer do the adjusting makes a lot of sense to me.
I hopefully can do better!