User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
past_tense OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
XL250R with hoses going everywhere

I have a 1986 Honda XL250R with dual carbs. I've got the carbs out to check which jets are currently installed. When I go to put things back together I'd sure like to eliminate some of the plumbing on this thing. There is a PCV, a canisiter, and a breather. There are multiple hoses running in and out of all these parts.

I'd like to eliminate anything that is not require for the engine to run. I'll only be putting a couple hundred miles per year on this bike, if that makes any difference.

The number of hoses on this things is remarkable for a basic motorcycle. I realize it came out of the era of emission overload, but I find it hard to believe all this stuff is required to make the bike run well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've read all I could find in the xl600 thread since the bikes are similar when it comes to the hoses and devices, but there is some conflicting information in that thread.

Thanks
past_tense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,633
Did you try the xr250l thread here on ADV...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=425209
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
past_tense OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samthg View Post
Did you try the xr250l thread here on ADV...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=425209
Yes, thanks anyway.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,821
Sounds like you have california model as my 87 49 state model has no canister.

I you had a Honda shop manual with a detailed description and function of the system, and you understand the function then you would be able to remove most if not all the hoses with no harm.

There variations is vapor system:
Generally there fuel vapor hoses from the float bowl and tank that go to the charcoal canister these need to vent for the engine run. There would be purge line from the canister to the manifold, this sucks the vapors stored in the canister into the engine to be burned..........if this line was left open you would have vacuum leak not good for the mixture and also dirt and dust could enter the engine.
There also might be fresh air filter line to the canister that allows only filter to enter the canister during purge.
showkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
past_tense OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by showkey View Post
Sounds like you have california model as my 87 49 state model has no canister.

I you had a Honda shop manual with a detailed description and function of the system, and you understand the function then you would be able to remove most if not all the hoses with no harm.

There variations is vapor system:
Generally there fuel vapor hoses from the float bowl and tank that go to the charcoal canister these need to vent for the engine run. There would be purge line from the canister to the manifold, this sucks the vapors stored in the canister into the engine to be burned..........if this line was left open you would have vacuum leak not good for the mixture and also dirt and dust could enter the engine.
There also might be fresh air filter line to the canister that allows only filter to enter the canister during purge.
Thanks.

As you suggest, I do have the California model with the canister and the PCV. I studied the layout in detail checking out the various connections to the carbs, canister, tank and so forth. Once it was clear the whole thing was aimed at the fuel tank fumes I was able to "modify" it. I also took the opportunity to check which jets were in the carbs so I could get the other set, in this case, I need to get the higher elevation jets so have them on hand for trips out of my area.

It turns out it was a good thing I removed the carbs. I found one of the carbs had been incorrectly seated into the carb isolator and the other had not been seated correctly into the duct from the airbox.