Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 12:01 PM   #121
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Did your friend know that a KLX400 was a rebadged Suzuki drz400?
Oh look, tRev hooked one!

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:18 PM   #122
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Did your friend know that a KLX400 was a rebadged Suzuki drz400?
What?

No wonder it was so unreliable.

The smart thing to do would have been to rebadge the KLX400 as the DRZ, that would have been an awesome bike then.
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:23 PM   #123
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Oh look, tRev hooked one!
I suspect he was just playing along in the hope I had an awesome punch line, but he is about to be disappointed...
Old 01-31-2013, 01:58 PM   #124
Duken4evr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Great and accurate comments on the DRZ! And really great pics! Wow, that radical downhill is Hair ball!

I owned an '01 DRZ400E. Great bike, rode it 3.5 years. Great trail bike ... but not a great road bike. Low gearing, no ability to carry gear. The DRZ400 S is better ... but the E model is SO MUCH nicer to ride. As you pointed out (and few seem to realize) the E and S models are very different ... and about 30 lbs. weight diff.
Cheers!
Forgot to mention, my buddy and I went UP Radical Hill (actual name of the trail, it is in the Red Cone area in Colorado) before going down. Going up was harder :) The DRZ was a good climber though. Had enough power to get the job done, but not too much to handle, and this area is probably at 11,000 feet, which takes a toll. Braaap!!!!

Base of Radical Hill. No more photos after this as momentum was, um, important to maintain once the hill steepened. No stopping, not for nuthin!

Rocks. The big yellow pig ate them for breakfast. Traversed this stuff at middling rpm in 2nd gear, probably 20 mph. Maybe the heavy DRZ just crushed them to dust, who knows. Starts off bumpy, smooths out, then it will spit you off if you get too aggressive. Definitely a rhythm and dance in this stuff. The BYP (big yellow pig) was good in this stuff.

The DRZ is truly a fine dual sport. It is not the best street legal bike off road and it is not the dirt capable bike on pavement but it has a unique blend of good enough in both areas, indestructible, moddable and cheap. The DRZ is the very definition of a true "dual sport" in my mind. Dunno why everyone has not owned a DRZ at one time or another

More Red Cone and other pics in this slideshow, just in case you have cabin fever like I do...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mia4C_ONKd4

Duken4evr screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 02:15 PM
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:19 PM   #125
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,149
man Im jelous of the ridng areas you guys have, nice and open free of dogs, chikens, pigs, drunks, moms carrying theor babies...towns, cars, whatnot...

x2 on the rythm thing on rocks...to slow you bounce everywhere, find correct speed and rpm and you can go all day...push it too much and you hit one rock just right and bam you go off to the side!

jajajajajajaja
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:26 PM   #126
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
man Im jelous of the ridng areas you guys have, nice and open free of dogs, chikens, pigs, drunks, moms carrying theor babies...towns, cars, whatnot...

x2 on the rythm thing on rocks...to slow you bounce everywhere, find correct speed and rpm and you can go all day...push it too much and you hit one rock just right and bam you go off to the side!

jajajajajajaja
You guys need to have another "Soccer War" ... and this time take part of Honduras for your prize! (I lived in El Salvador in the 70's ... surfing at La Libertad!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:35 PM   #127
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,149
no shit! wow!

yeah la libertad, full of punks now just like any town that finds a new wave or tourists...not even local people can get into places just like they do on most awesome and highly exaggerated surf places, hawaii, south africa, australia etc...etc...

man

in any case no no soccer war pleaseI wasnt even born yet, plus it had nothing to do with soccer1 jajaja it was the tiping point though

well you guys are welcome to ride on down whenever you want!

we can still ride on the beach here! jejejeje
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #128
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
The DRZ is the very definition of a true "dual sport" in my mind. Dunno why everyone has not owned a DRZ at one time or another
Actually, a significant percentage of the guys on this forum have owned a DRZ, and most of them would buy another one if Suzuki would bite the bullet and replace the transmission with a wide ratio six speed and maybe add fuel injection. The tranny change would require new engine cases, so I can see why they haven't done it, but I agree with you that it's pretty close to what people want.
montesa_vr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #129
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by montesa_vr View Post
Actually, a significant percentage of the guys on this forum have owned a DRZ, and most of them would buy another one if Suzuki would bite the bullet and replace the transmission with a wide ratio six speed and maybe add fuel injection. The tranny change would require new engine cases, so I can see why they haven't done it, but I agree with you that it's pretty close to what people want.
Suzuki could (and should) build a successful 400cc class dual sport bike ... but a fully modernized one.

Start with the current RMZ 450 motor (as fast or faster than ANY KTM), detune it some for reliability. Use a totally new chassis ... steel tube would be best for a dual sport, IMO.
Give the thing a strong sub frame but keep it light. Stock fuel tank at least 4 gallons with 60 mpg, should be good for over 240 mile range. Use same KYB suspension used on current RMZ motocrosser ... but shorten it an inch or so and modify damping for Dual Sport use.

It's all doable ... but so far Suzuki does not seem to see the profit in it. Yet they've billions for R & D, producing an endless stream of lame cruisers. Go figure.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #130
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
The DRZ is truly a fine dual sport. It is not the best street legal bike off road and it is not the dirt capable bike on pavement but it has a unique blend of good enough in both areas, indestructible, moddable and cheap. The DRZ is the very definition of a true "dual sport" in my mind. Dunno why everyone has not owned a DRZ at one time or another
Plenty of people have owned them and moved on. Had a plated E model and it was a decent bike. Not nearly as indestructible as some people lay claim and of course the tranny really hampers it being a true dual sport. But for the price it's hard not to like them.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #131
CJBDRdude
Dirtyrider

Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Suzuki could (and should) build a successful 400cc class dual sport bike ... but a fully modernized one.

Start with the current RMZ 450 motor (as fast or faster than ANY KTM), detune it some for reliability. Use a totally new chassis ... steel tube would be best for a dual sport, IMO.
Give the thing a strong sub frame but keep it light. Stock fuel tank at least 4 gallons with 60 mpg, should be good for over 240 mile range. Use same KYB suspension used on current RMZ motocrosser ... but shorten it an inch or so and modify damping for Dual Sport use.

It's all doable ... but so far Suzuki does not seem to see the profit in it. Yet they've billions for R & D, producing an endless stream of lame cruisers. Go figure.
+1 For a short time(maybe one year) Suzuki imported their DRZ450X. Dirtbike magazine had a short review on it. Our tough EPA standards shut down importing anymore after the first year model was brought into the USA. If I remember correctly, it was a FI model based (of course) on the RMZ machine. I did see one upclose in a dealer too. Nice looking bike. The MSRP was high, but nontheless, great looking Enduro.. Not street legal. More like the KTM rfs models. I thought eventually it would replace the well loved DRZ400, but not yet
CJBDRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #132
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBDRdude View Post
+1 For a short time(maybe one year) Suzuki imported their DRZ450X. Dirtbike magazine had a short review on it. Our tough EPA standards shut down importing anymore after the first year model was brought into the USA. If I remember correctly, it was a FI model based (of course) on the RMZ machine. I did see one upclose in a dealer too. Nice looking bike. The MSRP was high, but nontheless, great looking Enduro.. Not street legal. More like the KTM rfs models. I thought eventually it would replace the well loved DRZ400, but not yet
Yes, I remember that bike. IIRC it had a few deal breaker short comings ... I believe it held something like 2 gal. of fuel. Still ... could have been a start. Also, it was not street legal (as you pointed out) which puts it out of action for a lot of dual sport riders.

Building street legal adds a lot of expense, weight and legal certification headaches. KTM/Husky/Beta et al, all get round this under EPA's OEM dispensation rules for low production manufacturers.

Suzuki can't do it ... they sell too many bikes. Certifying a bike is around
$100,000 USD per model. (this info from Husaberg distributor/big wig I spoke with 3 or 4 years ago) Much stiffer rules for the BIG companies regards building street legal.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #133
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Quote:
Suzuki could (and should) build a successful 400cc class dual sport bike ...

Serious response...

I don't know how the sales figures are in America for the DRZ, but here in Australia the DRZ is usually first or second in the sales (usually the WR450 is the one it is fighting with) so I doubt Suzuki can see a need to chainge it if it as successful in other countrys.

It would cost a shitload to replace it, and even if they updated it, they would need to get it through EPA regs and shit so that would cost a shitload to.

And the sell the RMX450 here, apparently a really good bike, but not road registerable here.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #134
mikem9 OP
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,222
Great pics and comments Duken4ever.
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #135
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,318
RMZ-450 has an even narrower 5-speed than the DR-Z400 (2.61 to 2.65). That engine would need new cases for a new transmission, too. Wrong place to start.

Honda and Yamaha both ran 450's in this year's Dakar. Perhaps detune those motors and adjust transmission ratios for a start. Unless, of course, they are also 5-speeds. A Dual Sport in the USA must handle slow single track and highways at 70 mph. A wide-ratio 6-speed (or a dual range 5-speed) are a must for me. The XT225, WR250R and TE610/630 each have one, so it can be done. Others will sacrifice with a wider ratio 5-speed that the torque of a 650cc can pull in top gear, but that is still a sacrifice to me. And I want a 450. Just like Goldilocks, the middle size is just right - for me.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote