User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
GSequoia OP
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 988
Tube Patch Kit - Recommendations?

Hello. I'm fishing for recommendations for a decent tube patch kit to carry with me on the KLR. The intended purpose would be my B level spare (swap out tubes, patch the old one if needed before returning home).

Thanks
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 651
I've got the Slime 56 Patches Box Kit. There's nothing special about the patches, but you get a variety of sizes in the kit and it's a good value.
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,567

Thsi stuff is always top notch. Can get it at any bike shop. However any patch that has feathered edges will do. Don't use the "big sheet of rubber cut your own", they don't work well.

More important than having a patch kit is knowing how to use it. My long time bicycle riding buddy who is a bike mechanic can not patch a tube to save his life. Other than following the basic instructions there are two key points.
-marking the hole well. Once defalted and loaded with goop you can not locate the hole easily and will off center or miss your patch.
-allow the rubber cement to dry before you apply the patch. You are not glueing but vulcanizing.

IMO a properly patched tube is jsut as strong as a new one.

If you rip a valve stem, there is no way to patch it.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
GSequoia OP
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown View Post
More important than having a patch kit is knowing how to use it.
I've patched bicycle tubes a lot in my past so I'm pretty good there, in fact the patching cycle is now repeating since my four year old son has a bicycle (not to mention so far my wife has punctured three tubes on the running stroller for my two year old). I was mostly just looking for kits that folks have used and approve of since it's so easy to end up with crap because of poor descriptions and photos online.

Thanks
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 808
Quote:

Thsi stuff is always top notch. Can get it at any bike shop. However any patch that has feathered edges will do. Don't use the "big sheet of rubber cut your own", they don't work well.

More important than having a patch kit is knowing how to use it. My long time bicycle riding buddy who is a bike mechanic can not patch a tube to save his life. Other than following the basic instructions there are two key points.
-marking the hole well. Once defalted and loaded with goop you can not locate the hole easily and will off center or miss your patch.
-allow the rubber cement to dry before you apply the patch. You are not glueing but vulcanizing.

+1 on the Rema patches, have been using them on bicycles for many years and have never had a properly applied one fail. One thing I have learned is to not bother to pull the clear sheeting off the back of the patch after it is applied as this will sometimes lift the edges of the patch...no real need to remove it and if I do at all I wait until the next time the tube is out. FWIW Rema sells bigger patches for MC, auto, and truck tubes too...

victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #6
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,644
Quote:

Thanks for this post, I have been having trouble with the cheap Slime patches with the thick cut edges getting rubbed/folded up at the corners, I'm gonna get some of these feathered edge patches. I also believe that a good patch job is as good as a new tube.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Another tip. If you do alot of patching at home, go to your local office/school suply store or drug store and get a bottle of this

It cost less than $3 and is the same stuff as those little tubes of rubber cement. I save those little tubes to carry with me on the road/trail. Once punctured they do not seem to last long. I have found dried ones often when I need them most.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #8
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,026
Take all this good advice and buy the Rema patches, but also use their vulcanizing fluid to apply the patches. Rubber cement is not what you want with Rema patches.

In our area, everything that manages to grow has some kind of thorn attached to it. I have tubes with multiple Rema patches on them and they are a permanent repair when used with their glue (or fluid as they call it).
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #9
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
Take all this good advice and buy the Rema patches, but also use their vulcanizing fluid to apply the patches. Rubber cement is not what you want with Rema patches.

In our area, everything that manages to grow has some kind of thorn attached to it. I have tubes with multiple Rema patches on them and they are a permanent repair when used with their glue (or fluid as they call it).

I have used several different brands of patch including Remas. For the last 4 years I have been using Elmer's rubber cement. Maybe have applied 20 patches with it. It does not seem to make a difference. They have all held.

I guess YYMV. It is good to consider John's warning, but I don't think it makes a difference.