Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #31
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,186
Like I said in my story, my tarus 38 is around 20 years old or so, and it is still smooth, and problem free.

It is actually the only taurus that I own....not because of any fault of its own, it falls into the pure utility catagory....I am already covered in that area, so the stuff I tend to talk about is the more odd ball stuff.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #32
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbg326 View Post
Hey guys, I'm looking mostly for people's experience with Taurus revolvers, good, bad, and horror stories.

This is looking down the road about 6 months, but I'm aiming to get my CCW permit this coming summer, and am leaning towards a revolver as a carry gun, mostly for the simplicity behind it. The Judge is appealing due to the ability to shoot the .410 shells, in addition to the .45 LC, but I'm thinking a more practical choice would be the Taurus 650 CIA .357.

Anyways, am I looking in the right direction, or am I completely misguided?

Oh and let's try to avoid the political side of carrying, if at all possible.
I don't get the attraction of the Judge.

I would get some kind of .357 revolver, you could then, depending on your preference, load with .357 or .38 special.

Find a shooting range local to you, rent 4 or 5 different revolvers and find the one you like the best. Trigger pull, grip size/shape, etc will often be the deciding factor.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #33
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meter Man View Post
I don't get the attraction of the Judge.
Me, either. If I'm going to have a heavy gun, it's going to have a barrel on it so I can hit something at more than 15-feet!
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #34
dbg326 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
I definitely came to the same conclusion regarding the Judge pretty quickly, so no it's not really in consideration as far as a carry gun. It was intriguing at first, because of it's ability to get a decent amount of lead on target at close range, but it is way too big, especially seeing as how I've got a pretty slender build. Chances are, I'll pick one up down the road, just to mess around with, but for now, practicality is taking precedence.

Conclusions so far seem to be that while the .357's ability to fire 2 calibers is nice, the performance difference isn't drastically different from a .38 Special (out of a 2-3in barrel). Modern Taurus' seem to be better made than previous models (definitely with exceptions). And that a used S&W/Ruger/Colt in decent shape for the same price is arguably a better bet.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #35
liquidsmile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,342
Good choice of guns, for personal protection I question a 38 load though. Idk what kind of load this lady was using, but she shot a guy 5 times in the face and neck area and he lived to run out the door,

http://now.msn.com/atlanta-mom-shoot...e-face-5-times

liquidsmile screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 01:44 PM
liquidsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #36
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmile View Post
Good choice of guns, for personal protection I question a 38 load though. Idk what kind of load this lady was using, but she shot a guy 5 times in the face and neck area and he lived to run out the door,

Yeah. Me, too.

But, the thing a .38/.357 revolver has going for it is that it's chambered for two of the most widely available rounds out there.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #37
kobudo28
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,850
S&W Model 60, J-frame, SS .38/.357 revolver. I have no problem shooting it with .357 loads and it is the gun I carry in harsh environments, hiking, kayaking, fishing, etc. I like the ability to shoot either round out of it. It is a solid, reliable gun. It is heavier that some of S&W light weights but it makes it easier to shoot with .357 loads.

My experience with the early Taurus revolvers is pretty much in-line with what others have posted, pretty much crap. I don't know if the newer guns are better.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #38
timsgs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlitz View Post
I've got a Taurus model 65 .357 with a 4" barrel. Luv it! It shoots anything I throw at it. Very smooth when shooting .38 special rounds (regular and +P) and its got enough weight so that .357 mag rounds don't beat you up too much. Buy it again? YEP.
Model 66 .357/4" barrel owner here, had it over 20 years and not one problem. Is it the best out there? NO, but it's a tool that gets it done when needed.

Son, don't force that , get a bigger hammer....
timsgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #39
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmile View Post

The most important part of self defense is being able to hit the target. Some folks cannot shoot well with a hot .357 load in a J frame or other small revolver.

The OP can rent 5 or 6 .357 carry revolvers and determine which he likes best. He then has the choice of loading dozens of different loads of .38/.357.

I can't hit a think with the .38 LCR, but can shoot well with the SP101 loaded with .357.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #40
jesionowski
Chicagoland Burgman

Oddometer: 134
Never again

Bought one of those 7 round light weight 38 specials, forget the exact model. Paid a little over $400 sold it for $200. I bought it for what I thought was revolver reliability. Piece if crap. Would jam after the first one or two shots. I have a Glock 19, less moving parts, more rounds and easier to clear a jam.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #41
sloMark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesionowski View Post
Bought one of those 7 round light weight 38 specials, forget the exact model. Paid a little over $400 sold it for $200. I bought it for what I thought was revolver reliability. Piece if crap. Would jam after the first one or two shots. I have a Glock 19, less moving parts, more rounds and easier to clear a jam.

U serious? I'd be curious to know who makes a 7 round revolver in .38 ........

For the OP.....S&W model 442. The Ruger SP101 or their LCR, good guns and simple to carry.

How you carry it, where on your body you carry it, what kinda holster ya use are also a big part of it......if a gun ain't comfortable to carry you won't carry it..

......the 442 has a totally concealed hammer, some other makes have a spur less hammer, some have a hammer like everyone is familiar with .......it's all personal preference.

I would not carry a Taurus. Stick with the brands cops use with an exception to Ruger. Good guns, I just never seen a PD issue them lately to their guys.

I carry the 442 everyday along with an HKS brand speed loader...or my Kahr PM9.....and a Glock 22 40hrs. a week....

The new Springfield Armory XDs with the single stack 45 is coming on strong now too, lotsa guys like them.....

...........Don Hume IWB holsters are nice

sloMark screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 06:11 PM
sloMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #42
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesionowski View Post
I'm sorry, but I find it difficult to take someone seriously, or at least to take their recommendation seriously, when they aren't specifying just what is 'crap.'

The 19 is a good pistol no doubt, but I gave up on CCW'ing mine for its size and bulk. But I'm not a fat ass, and I live in a place that is usually hot enough that I'm not wearing anything beyond a t-shirt / Hawaiian shirt, and shorts. Big guys and layered people can hide the blocks that the rest of us can't.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #43
sloMark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 794
If u wanna go semi take a look at that new Springfield XDs 45acp or a Kahr PM9..........I traded my Glock and now carry the Kahr. Waaaaay lighter and thinner. Yes less rounds, but I am ok with it.

I still have another Glock. I will never be without a Glock.

sloMark screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 06:26 PM
sloMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:01 PM   #44
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by timsgs View Post
Model 66 .357/4" barrel owner here, had it over 20 years and not one problem. Is it the best out there? NO, but it's a tool that gets it done when needed.
That was the exact model and barrel length I had that was so utterly terrible.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #45
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloMark View Post
If u wanna go semi take a look at that new Springfield XDs 45acp or a Kahr PM9..........I traded my Glock and now carry the Kahr. Waaaaay lighter and thinner. Yes less rounds, but I am ok with it.

I still have another Glock. I will never be without a Glock.
The PM9 is fantastic. I almost went with that, but opted for the slightly smaller Ruger LCP at half the cost.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: