Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 05:50 AM   #31
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,805
Kind of like plunking down $25k on a fully farkled "Adventure" bike and never getting it dirty...................
Old 02-07-2013, 08:17 AM   #32
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
+1

A simple lack of good taste. In my experience, most bobber owners/lovers live in trailer parks and also covet 2nd generation Camaros.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Wow. Just wow. I had to quote this to immortalize your condescending, pompous and arrogant view for you to enjoy later.

Sent from my GZone using AssTap
Old 02-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #33
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
In the old days, it was a way off increasing performance* and getting a unique looking machine, whilst spending very little money. Nowadays, it seems to fall into one of two camps:

1) A lot are 'art pieces' that people have built for them (see the Deus Ex bikes for something that typifies these), in a bobber style, because they like the aesthetic. Personally, I don't have enough disposable income to spend money on a car or bike that just sits in the garage and gets taken to shows a couple of times a year. It's a cliche, but I buy bikes to ride. That said, I don't hate on the guy who buys a desmosedici and then never rides it on the track or takes it to the ragged edge on the road. Nor (as others have pointed out) is it any worse than the guy who buys a GSA with knobbly tyres and then never goes off the tarmac. It's not for me, but as E.O.T.D says, I'll wave to them if I see them out riding and I'll be interested in talking to them about their bike if I see them in a petrol station or at a bike meet.

2) A cheap and fun way to get a 'toy' bike out of something old that'd be a bit crap these days as serious bike. You can turn it into something a bit different and interesting for pennies, in your own garage. What GoGoGavin, IHWillys, and Dave.0 talk about, this sort of behaviour seems closer in spirit to the original reason/mentality of bobbed bikes.

*You know, to compete with all the Brit metal that was romping all over your lardy American bikes in those days.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #34
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,381
Quote:
+1

A simple lack of good taste. In my experience, most bobber owners/lovers live in trailer parks and also covet 2nd generation Camaros.

Cameros

FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #35
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!

Oddometer: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by el queso View Post
Bobbers are like Rat Rods - they used to be cool but it's now been over done. The original concept (going to the 40s and 50s) was a cheap mod to reduce weight, with the work done by the owner in his garage. But now you can buy a $30K bobber complete with flat paint and rust.
I'm going to throw cafe bikes in that ring too. I'm on a board for old sohc Hondas and almost everyone is doing a cafe.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #36
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post

Wow. Just wow. I had to quote this to immortalize your condescending, pompous and arrogant view for you to enjoy later.

Sent from my GZone using AssTap
I have no idea what you are talking about Dakez, but I don't have time to argue.

I have to remove the 3 foot pile of snow that the trailer park grounds crew left at the end of my driveway and install the new glass pack kit on my '79 Z-29 that I got for my Christmas.
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #37
abnslr
rides a motorcycle

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
+1

What's wrong with Camaros? I really wanted one when I was 14...
abnslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #38
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWillys View Post
I didn't get through all the other responses but this is it: The modern "bobber" is due in large part to a plethora of inexpensive older bikes that mechanically are mostly still capable but have definitely seen their better days cosmetically(think '70s/80s UJMs). The bobber treatment is an *easy* and *cheap* method of altering the appearance of said motorcycle. It's much easier and cheaper than trying to make it look nice and original.

Take just about every thing that is done on a UJM "bobber" and it is easy and cheap to do.

Needs paint? Flat black is the easiest and cheapest there is, aside from simply discarding parts that need paint.
Fenders are dented/peeling/rusty/etc, just get rid of them.
Turn signals are bent/non-op, in the trash they go
OEM taillight is broken or still attached to the discarded rear fender, trailer lights are cheap.
Needs rear shocks? Some "struts" are easy and definitely the cheapest.
Seat is all messed up? Toss it and bolt on a cheap universal Bates style.

There I just covered 90% of UJM bobbers on CL.

Easy and cheap combined with a readily available supply.

Ken
I get why people do it. I kinda like the rat bike style, especially if that aesthetic was earned by hard use and lotsa mileage. What burns my butt is when I see a nice old survivor "bobberized" by some knucklehead hipster in his thriftshop mechanic's shirt and ironic waxed mustache. Here in Baltimore old original UJMs are getting few and far between at a rate proportional to the expanding glut of flat black "hardtail" POS populating CL. They take a $2500 bike with nice original bits and turn it into a $500 dangerous sled, and ruin NLA parts forever.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #39
Benduro
None more black.

Oddometer: 2,257
Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexau View Post
Basically Bobbers preceded Choppers-

What is a Chopper, what is a Bobber, and How do you build one?

Bobber.

Chopper(s)
Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper, and Jack Nicholson in the 1969 film Easy Rider.

Easy Rider Facts:
Tex Hall, referenced above, used to work for my dad in L.A. The stories I could tell. Holy geez. That could be a whole thread! Maybe I'll tell it as my dad told it to me. One factoid is that he ended up with the bikes after the movie. (They had built four, two of which were crashed in the movie). Well, they were stolen from him. How he got them back involved a fully auto Thompson sub, an execution, and a year of weekends and nights in jail while working for my dad. I think I'm gonna have to write it out. I wonder if he's still alive...
Old 02-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #40
waveydavey
happy times!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJ View Post
I get why people do it. I kinda like the rat bike style, especially if that aesthetic was earned by hard use and lotsa mileage. What burns my butt is when I see a nice old survivor "bobberized" by some knucklehead hipster in his thriftshop mechanic's shirt and ironic waxed mustache. Here in Baltimore old original UJMs are getting few and far between at a rate proportional to the expanding glut of flat black "hardtail" POS populating CL. They take a $2500 bike with nice original bits and turn it into a $500 dangerous sled, and ruin NLA parts forever.

The horror!!

FUCK CANCER!!!!
Old 02-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #41
TINGLER
Swamp lips

Oddometer: 143
They look awesome and are infinitely more interesting than any sort of stock factory bike.

Done well, it's an artform.

Chop Cult can answer many of your questions: http://www.chopcult.com/default.php
TINGLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #42
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
Cameros
Camaroes?

Hell, I don't know.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #43
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnslr View Post
What's wrong with Camaros? I really wanted one when I was 14...
(FYI, Here begins a rant that has nothing to do with the person I am quoting)

Who didn't?

ADD a Ferrari like Magnum P.I.

AND a Kick ass big, Chevy truck like the Fall Guy

AND a badass helicopter like Airwolf

AND a sweet motorcycle like in Tron

AND a kick ass, big boobed girlfriend that would tell our moms to, "fuck off!" as we rode off into the distance...

THEN...some of us grew up and decided we really liked RIDING motorcycles and instead of taking cheap motorcycles from CL and turning them into unrideable piles of crap. To add to his tragedy, about 90% of the trailer park residents that start one of these projects, completely destroying the motorcycle in the process, decided they no longer have the knowledge, skills or ambition to finish it....kind of like the rest of their lives.

The proof is in the showing. At every, tiny little show around here I see 1 or 2 builds that range from 1/4 ass to 1/2 ass, and in response I see multiple CL posts a month of redneck fools looking to sell their train wrecked catastrophe.

SO, if you have a nice bobber build, I'd love nothing more than to take a look. I will appreciate the art you have created, and thank you for contribution to not only the arts in general, but our sport in particular.

HOWEVER, for the 99% of the rest of the "bobber builders" out there...fuck you, fuck you, fuck you...for completely destroying what was once a perfectly good motorcycle.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Thanantos screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 09:41 PM
Old 02-08-2013, 09:02 PM   #44
Damifino
Damn if I know

Oddometer: 655
+1000000!
06 Vespa Granturismo 200L
Green Marble Enduro Riders http://gmer.us
Damifino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #45
waveydavey
happy times!!

Quote:
(FYI, Here begins a rant that has nothing to do with the person I am quoting)

Who didn't?

ADD a Ferrari like Magnum P.I.

AND a Kick ass big, Chevy truck like the Fall Guy

AND a badass helicopter like Airwolf

AND a sweet motorcycle like in Tron

AND a kick ass, big boobed girlfriend that would tell our moms to, "fuck off!" as we rode off into the distance...

THEN...some of us grew up and decided we really liked RIDING motorcycles and instead of taking cheap motorcycles from CL and turning them into unrideable piles of crap. To add to his tragedy, about 90% of the trailer park residents that start one of these projects, completely destroying the motorcycle in the process, decided they no longer have the knowledge, skills or ambition to finish it....kind of like the rest of their lives.

The proof is in the showing. At every, tiny little show around here I see 1 or 2 builds that range from 1/4 ass to 1/2 ass, and in response I see multiple CL posts a month of redneck fools looking to sell their train wrecked catastrophe.

SO, if you have a nice bobber build, I'd love nothing more than to take a look. I will appreciate the art you have created, and thank you for contribution to not only the arts in general, but our sport in particular.

HOWEVER, for the 99% of the rest of the "bobber builders" out there...fuck you, fuck you, fuck you...for completely destroying what was once a perfectly good motorcycle.

You should be ashamed of yourself.
and another motorcycle guru checks in. Thanks for straightening us out!

I bet you just wanted to say "Why don't you get a real motorcycle, just like mine"

FUCK CANCER!!!!

waveydavey screwed with this post 02-09-2013 at 10:28 AM