User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
ccooper OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Need opinions/feedback on Toyota Prius

I'm thinking seriously about buying a new 2013 Toyota Prius Two. I've never owned a hybrid before, but I now need something really good on gas. I average probably 1000+ miles a month driving for kayaking and think the Prius may fit my needs pretty well. Real world MPG? Reliability? Hybrid battery/components life? Acceleration/power? Thanks.
ccooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
MagyarMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
As I understand it the Prius comes into it's own during city driving because the lower speeds use the electric motor more than the gas engine,thus saving gas.

If you are driving a good deal of highway a small gas car would do well. My Yaris gets 33 in city driving and 42 on the highway and will last 200,000+ miles and has no expensive ( $2,500 from Toyota) battery to replace.

The slightly more expensive Honda Fit is also an excellent car with more interior space.
MagyarMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
2009 Prius

Bought in June of 2008, currently 90,000 + miles, overall average driving is 48mpg, we do not baby it, run it 65+ on trips and mileage stays about the same. Oringal brakes are now at about 1/2 wear on pads/shoes. No problems at all. Love it.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
bug67
Hazard Avoidance

Oddometer: 715
I didn't like mine and traded it in after 6 months. The novelty of it wore off quickly the first Alaskan winter I had it.

For an around town runner, it is optimal. However, because of the use of the electrics for around town, the heater never heated the interior up all that well. Not all that nice not to have good heat in Alaska in the winter.

For my highway commute to work of about 13 miles one way, it used the gas portion and that engine doesn't get any better mileage than any other small 4 cylinder. Plus, it was the most gutless thing I've ever driven.

The most important thing that caused me to get rid of it? It didn't get me any chicks!

Check it out: http://www.vegetablesandwich.com
"If you are going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill
bug67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
infoatnmmoto
with the band

Oddometer: 17,911
I had an 06.
I didn't like the way it drove and it
didn't get better mileage overall than
my wife's 02 Toyota Echo.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,117
The Pryus is the enemy to motorcyclists as it replaced Volvo drivers as the worst machine on the road for mentally retarded lab rats hogging up the HOV lane here in Kalifornistan.

Sorry, I hate them on principle of the typical buyer (no offense to other inmates) and actually disagree with the technology. I've driven a couple and think they are the worst driving machine I've ever experienced.

You want to save the environment individually, get good economy, and have cheap- if not free- fuel, get an old Mercedes diesel and convert it to run on 100% veg. Not "biodiesel", but 100% WVO. Drives as a car should, and although probably just as slow as a Pryus, they are wonderful freeway cruisers that can be fixed with duct tape and bailing wire.

/highjack

I can't stand those stupid thing. Oh yeah, I mentioned that....
Old 06-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #7
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,063
Fair amount of experience with a 04 Gen II. Boring car. Its designed that way. The rubbery steering, numb ride are built into it on purpose...it keeps you from ever wanting to drive it briskly - if you're about making maximum use of the cars abilities for fuel efficiency I think they did the right thing there. But it is boring as all get out. As mentioned it is great in the city or 'burbs, and is blah on the highway. That said I've taken it on quite a few cross country trips. You can get well over 50 mpg (54 is common) on a trip keeping it around 62-65 or so, but you have to be into doing that, it's sort of a workload and a hobby to deal with. Using the cruise control will not get you that sort of mileage unless its dead flat. I've had over 60 mpg doing 45-55, and it wasn't hyper miling - although, again, it was a mental task far above what most people would consider for driving. If you drive it like most people, not paying attention, you'll be in the mid 40's, in town and on the road. If you go all goofy soft footed one can go for 3-4 blocks on electric only.

It is very low powered and the CVT isn't a friend for passing or mountain climbing. The displays are not good. It is quiet. It can carry two road bicycles in the back along with some gear, not a lot though. A roof rack would kill mileage. The Toyota seats are OK, not great, but most Toyota seats for me don't work well. No problems at all with the 04. My sisters in-laws all have them (liberal tree hugging farmers) and most have now gone over 200K+ with zero problems, same batteries too. The gen III's (current models) supposedly ride better and supposedly get about 5% better mileage. I checked out the gen III V station wagon version, its pretty nice and is really quite spacious inside. The plug in version can go about 13 miles on electrics only (not available in the V) They seem to hold hold their value quite well, but maybe that depends on where you live. The Prius is now the biggest selling Toyota in California.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #8
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,063
RE: Mercedes 240D Bio diesel. Lovely cars for sure*. They are slower than a Prius, and with air-conditioning you'll be going 30 mph up mountain roads - not getting the mileage you thought you would. Basically they get 25 mpg. Probably 28 on the highway driven like a Prius at 60-62. Where I live diesel is $4.10, bio diesel $4.50. vs gasoline at $3.83

100 miles in a 240D bio-diesel = $16. Prius $8

(* first impressions was owning a '75 240D 4 speed, that had a 35 gallon fuel tank conversion. It was nifty to cross the border from San Diego into Mexico and fuel up for 25 cents a gallon. Later 240D's, the W123 are the ones to have, pure tanks).
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #9
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,212
There are a lot of Priuses in San Francisco used as taxis. That speaks very well for their durability. I took a class in hybrid technology and the Prius was our lab victim. We had some sample transmissions and batteries from taxis. There is a bearing in the trans that can go bad under commercial use after about 200,000 miles. The battery isn't an issue, period, especially if you buy one new.

My stepdad has a 4. I think it drives well and is very good at the purpose for which it was designed. It will keep up with traffic just fine. Sofar as fuel consumption, the instruments give you an indication of your energy consumption and you can use that to maximize the economy. You can do so without acting as a restriction to everybody behind you.

My Volt has radically changed my driving style. I drive with the flow of traffic sometimes in the number three lane on a four lane freeway! In my Mercedes I'd be in the left lane at about 85-90 mph.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #10
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
RE: Mercedes 240D Bio diesel. Lovely cars for sure*. They are slower than a Prius, and with air-conditioning you'll be going 30 mph up mountain roads - not getting the mileage you thought you would. Basically they get 25 mpg. Probably 28 on the highway driven like a Prius at 60-62. Where I live diesel is $4.10, bio diesel $4.50. vs gasoline at $3.83

100 miles in a 240D bio-diesel = $16. Prius $8

(* first impressions was owning a '75 240D 4 speed, that had a 35 gallon fuel tank conversion. It was nifty to cross the border from San Diego into Mexico and fuel up for 25 cents a gallon. Later 240D's, the W123 are the ones to have, pure tanks).
Biodiesel is kinda dumb as is full on diesel IMO. I was talking about full on vegetable oil. In CA it is easy to run that 100% of the time and not even have to run 2 tanks. And last I heard, to get WVO delivered to your house from a company was riight around $2 a gallon.

And if we want to go down the enviro bit, you could start a who,e deal about battery production. Hybrids and electric cars are replacing one non-renewable resource with another.

I don't think grease burners are a realistic large scale solution, but for an individual, it is a better solution than a POS Pryus of other hybrid. Elon's junk is the only stuff I'd consider based on respect for what he's done with a few companies.

EDIT: I stand corrected. In a quick search, it is more like $3 a gallon for home delivery of WVO. bit I'd still do at over a jackholemobile like a Pryus.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #11
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
Biodiesel is kinda dumb as is full on diesel IMO. I was talking about full on vegetable oil. In CA it is easy to run that 100% of the time and not even have to run 2 tanks. And last I heard, to get WVO delivered to your house from a company was riight around $2 a gallon.

And if we want to go down the enviro bit, you could start a who,e deal about battery production. Hybrids and electric cars are replacing one non-renewable resource with another.

I don't think grease burners are a realistic large scale solution, but for an individual, it is a better solution than a POS Pryus of other hybrid. Elon's junk is the only stuff I'd consider based on respect for what he's done with a few companies.

EDIT: I stand corrected. In a quick search, it is more like $3 a gallon for home delivery of WVO. bit I'd still do at over a jackholemobile like a Pryus.
That certainly qualifies as an opinion but it may not fill the o.p. request for information. So, your Prius ownership experience has been poor?

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:50 AM   #12
ccooper OP
Adventurer

Thanks for all the responses. I test drove one yesterday and thought it wasn't terrible for power. Yes, it's definitely not fast, but not bad IMO for something that gets 50mpg. The gas pedal has roughly 1-2 inches of travel at the top where I guess it's using the electric engine and this is very sluggish, but once thru that, it peps up a lot. The cargo room was awesome. I'm not interested in diesel, biodiesel or vegetable oil. Just want something cheap and simple to get me to the river. I also test drove a standard gas Honda Civic to compare and yes the Civic is a lot more fun to drive, but gets 10-15mpg less. I'm gonna price them both and compare. I know the Civic will be considerably cheaper which will make up for the less mpg, but the cargo space doesn't compare.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:54 AM   #13
ccooper OP
Adventurer

BTW, I will be switching my Yakima roof rack over to this car to haul my kayaks. I know it will hurt the mpg a little, but it hasn't affected it that bad so far on my other cars.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:26 AM   #14
Dave
Huh?

Oddometer: 2,735
A Prius is a tool. It's not stylish, fast, or glamorous. Mine has hauled people, dogs, gone on vacations, carried lumber (roof rack), been stuffed to the gills to go to the dump. It gets awesome mileage, is cheap to operate, and it never, ever breaks.

The only thing I really don't like about it is that the traction control gives up way too easily, so if you're going to drive in snowy conditions, get yourself a decent set of tires.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:59 AM   #15
ccooper OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
A Prius is a tool. It's not stylish, fast, or glamorous. Mine has hauled people, dogs, gone on vacations, carried lumber (roof rack), been stuffed to the gills to go to the dump. It gets awesome mileage, is cheap to operate, and it never, ever breaks.

The only thing I really don't like about it is that the traction control gives up way too easily, so if you're going to drive in snowy conditions, get yourself a decent set of tires.
Dave, what kind of roof rack do you have on your Prius. I was looking to switch over my Yakima Q Towers, but Yakima's website doesn't show they make the needed Q clips for the newer Prius.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: