User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
tundradirtbiker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
SPOT ASSIST ROADSIDE - How far will they go?

This would get lost in the 'too big' SPOT thread. Good FYI as the website doesn't cover the issue too well.

I contacted Nationsafe Drivers (NSD), the company SPOT contracts. The marketing rep said they use 40,000 local providers who service beyond the paved road to recover a vehicle. They sold SPOT a program based on back road explorers, and adventure seeker use.

SPOT lists it as 'roadside' assistance only. The SPOT rep did not know the extent of the program & referred me to Brian at NSD marketing for more info. Brian said unless a trail presents unreasonable access, local resources can help get the bike out. He set up the SPOT program and did all the training for SPOT sales reps. He wanted to know the reps name, feeling they should better represent his product. The plan limits don't stop at pavement edge.

On my SPOT personal messenger it would be the green button going directly to NSD. This service replaces programmed text to the home computer. It also replaces the task of someone at home trying to help us with no further knowledge than GPS coordinates.

A little info before you part with hard earned cash - or wish you had.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,304
Not sure what you were getting at for sure.

When I had my SPOT, I always understood that they would not be crawling down trails to recover my bike as far as the towing was concerned, that I would be pushing it to the nearest crossing or roadway if I was off road.

I assume if one is hitting the total-HELP-911 button that someone will indeed trek off road to gather my broken bodily remains or help me, if in time...

Old 02-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
tundradirtbiker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
The website reads like a AAA auto club site. Batteries, fuel or tire repair?

I can get all that with any car insurance policy or buy AAA. Did not appear to offer anything special off the beaten path. Very clear about 24/7 response. Nothing about off road/ forest road response for dual sporters.

Just buy the insurance and hope it works when you need it?

SPOT Additional Service: SPOT Assist Roadside

Works Where Cell Phones Don’t
Unlike OnStar, SPOT sends your messages and GPS locations over communications satellites so you can be located quickly. Unlike in-car GPS devices, SPOT can send your message and locations to others, communicating in near real time with the push of a single button- no bluetooth technology or complicated programming required. And as an extra bonus, SPOT is a portable device and can be used away from the vehicle. Enjoy the benefits of SPOT everyday while on the road, but take it on your adventures when you go off the grid as well!

SPOT Assist Roadside Assistance features:
  • Up to 5 tows per year
  • Up to 50 miles each tow
  • Accident assistance
  • Gas & oil delivery
  • Tire services
  • Battery service
  • Lost key and lockout service
  • Service is available in US 50 States, Puerto Rico, Washington DC and Canada

tundradirtbiker screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 02:40 PM
tundradirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
Unstable Rider
Beans n brats

Oddometer: 2,304
At the time, I think my deciding factor to GO WITH SPOTs roadside assist package was the fact that is was satellite based and not reliant on my cell phone. Unless one is running a Sat-phone I thought it was a genuine perk.

Just me I bet.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
tundradirtbiker OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It is a good choice, had no idea the coverage was both local and widespread. They need to put a dirt road on that ad.

Nice thing about SPOT over a Sat phone, help is on the way wherever you are. I would have to program a phone, or have the insurer 1(800) number pre-programmed. Sat phones rent per week for about $125 including device insurance and a base of some 20-30 min. New Sat phones are down in price to about $500 plus service today. It's getting more affordable.

Somewhere the GPS, PLB, Sat phone and Notepad will merge service and compete for more market. I'm the last to keep up with it.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
bungie4
Frostback

Oddometer: 432
Especially you offroad guys need to sign up for my Assistance List. Works with your Spot and summons help from other inmates nearby who WILL most likely drop everything and get you lugged out. Don't mean to be spam'ish, but it was designed with this very issue in mind.

I've been running the FJRForum's list for years, and recently launched the automated version for ALL forums and groups. The more that sign up (it's free!) the more useful the list becomes.

See the link in my SIG.

That beings said, I've had a printed version on my bike, and a GPX version on my GPS for years and thankfully, I've never needed it in over a 100,000 miles, but lots have.

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
Wired
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundradirtbiker View Post

I contacted Nationsafe Drivers (NSD), the company SPOT contracts. The marketing rep said they use 40,000 local providers who service beyond the paved road to recover a vehicle. They sold SPOT a program based on back road explorers, and adventure seeker use.

SPOT lists it as 'roadside' assistance only. The SPOT rep did not know the extent of the program & referred me to Brian at NSD marketing for more info. Brian said unless a trail presents unreasonable access, local resources can help get the bike out. He set up the SPOT program and did all the training for SPOT sales reps. He wanted to know the reps name, feeling they should better represent his product. The plan limits don't stop at pavement edge.

On my SPOT personal messenger it would be the green button going directly to NSD. This service replaces programmed text to the home computer. It also replaces the task of someone at home trying to help us with no further knowledge than GPS coordinates.

A little info before you part with hard earned cash - or wish you had.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post

When I had my SPOT, I always understood that they would not be crawling down trails to recover my bike as far as the towing was concerned, that I would be pushing it to the nearest crossing or roadway if I was off road.

I assume if one is hitting the total-HELP-911 button that someone will indeed trek off road to gather my broken bodily remains or help me, if in time...
Help and 911 are totally different buttons, especially if you have SPOT Assist.

Tundradirtbiker, not sure where that guy got his info, but I believe it is incorrect. This is what I have always seen when reading the fine print:

Quote:
Your vehicle must be within 100 meters of a regularly maintained roadway. The NSD Roadside Assistance Service is not offered in roadless areas regularly not traveled, such as vacant lots, beaches, open fields or other places that are hazardous for tow trucks to reach. This means that if after mapping your GPS latitude and longitude, the location does not map within 100 meters of a known, regularly maintained roadway and is in an area safe for the tow truck to travel, NSD will not dispatch Roadside Assistance.
http://faq.findmespot.com/index.php?...Entry&data=128
"I'm going to play with ninjas, you go to the kitchen."
Wired is offline   Reply With Quote