User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #31
squawk77
Dreamer

Oddometer: 493
MSR Hubba Hubba

MSR -- Hubba Hubba w DAC Featherlite NSL Green poles -- 2011 -- Aluminum -- 43cm 17" -- aluminum hubs (2)
Old 02-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #32
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,881
I forgot the name of the company, but I found a webstore that sells tent pole pieces parts. For less than $40 I replaced all the poles for my Nemo Losi 3P with shorter and stouter sections that fit in the space I had available.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #33
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,039
Thanks for this thread Grinnin. I was in the market for a new, smaller tent a few weeks ago. I decided on the backcountry 1 mainly due to pole length, since I have relatively small panniers.

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #34
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,289
The Kelty Gunnison 2 is also 18.5"
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #35
Grinnin OP
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,365
Thanks for all your measurements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
I found a webstore that sells tent pole pieces parts.
Yes, there are two listed on the first post.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #36
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
Thanks for all your measurements.

Yes, there are two listed on the first post.
Oh, duh! My powers of observation are fading fast!

Quest is where I bought mine. Great folks.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #37
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 757
Eureka Timberline 4

My old (22 years!) Timberline 4, measures in at 20.5 inches. It's still in the Eureka Lineup alongside it's "Outfitter" twin with heavier floor. I believe I paid $120 for it 2 decades ago & it's still going strong...roomy & dry.
Jim K. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #38
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 693
You have the Kelty Salida II listed at 18.5"... mine measures right at 17.5" and that is only 1 of the sections, all the rest are a little shorter, maybe 16.5"?

I know that's only 1" difference, but 18" was my absolute maximum so that 1" would have made a difference.
The Letter J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #39
burmbuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Marmot Astral 2P, aluminum poles, 23"
Old 02-24-2013, 02:42 AM   #40
Grinnin OP
Forever N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
You have the Kelty Salida II listed at 18.5"... mine measures right at 17.5" and that is only 1 of the sections, all the rest are a little shorter, maybe 16.5"?

I know that's only 1" difference, but 18" was my absolute maximum so that 1" would have made a difference.
When did you buy yours and from where? I measured those poles myself on a tent I bought from Campmor on 2012 April 24. I listed it in the table as a 2012, but I see from the screenshot of my order that it's a 2011 model.

The shock cord for that tent pushes the bundle of pole sections to be a bit longer than any single pole section. Should the table include both "relaxed" and "compressed" lengths? The worst-case-error with this list would be causing someone to buy a tent that won't fit. If they pass over a tent that will fit,that doesn't seem quite so bad seems like a less-severe error.

I measured the "relaxed" length of the bundle and I measured cm and inches with separate meter stick and yardstick. I have since sold that tent, but I am extremely confident about my measurements.

If manufacturers provide different section lengths for a single model, then this list may simply fail. (I learn from failure, it doesn't hurt.)

Thanks for measuring your tent poles. Please help me include more information that will make the table useful.

EDIT: I added a note "can compress" to the length in the table, but that is a band-aid and not intended to stop the discussion.

Grinnin screwed with this post 02-24-2013 at 04:24 AM
Old 02-24-2013, 02:59 AM   #41
Grinnin OP
Forever N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K. View Post
My old (22 years!) Timberline 4, measures in at 20.5 inches.
I hesitate to list measurements from 22 years ago since I think the table should be about what's available now. For the Timberline, however, they really do still make the same tent as they did 35 years (or more) ago.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #42
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
I forgot the name of the company, but I found a webstore that sells tent pole pieces parts. For less than $40 I replaced all the poles for my Nemo Losi 3P with shorter and stouter sections that fit in the space I had available.
This is the place, they have everything I have ever needed and if you have any questions give them a call or shoot them an email and odds are they will have a answer or solution to your problem.

http://tentpoletechnologies.com/

Not sure why you would base your tent purchase on pole length, you can shorten poles by cutting them and adding inserts for next to nothing or you could just order a new set of shorter poles.
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #43
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
When did you buy yours and from where? I measured those poles myself on a tent I bought from Campmor on 2012 April 24. I listed it in the table as a 2012, but I see from the screenshot of my order that it's a 2011 model.

I bought mine in August 2012 from a local store "Camp & Pack" which sells more military surplus than anything else. I just re-measured and I was a little off, but still under 18" "relaxed" at 17 3/4"

I pushed them into a straight edge and pulled my measurement like this:

Apparently my super high quality camera (cell phone) sees it differently, but I assure you it is 17 3/4" "relaxed" and I can push against the elastic cord and get them to 17 1/2" (I know I'm splitting hairs here) :

I really appreciate this info and wish I had found a chart like yours before going to every sporting goods store in a 75 mile radius and physically measuring all the tent poles! It seems like the manufacturers all list the packed size to include the box instead of just giving the longest individual component (poles.)
The Letter J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #44
Grinnin OP
Forever N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatch View Post
This is the place . . .

Not sure why you would base your tent purchase on pole length, you can shorten poles by cutting them and adding inserts for next to nothing or you could just order a new set of shorter poles.
Tent Pole Technologies has also been listed in the first post since day 1. Boondox used Quest Outfitters who are also great folks and very helpful.

For a pole with perhaps 9 sections, cutting will remove 9 kerfs and shorten the pole by perhaps 12mm or half-inch. Buying new sections plus new connectors can easily cost well over $50 for a 2-pole tent. Why share the information to know if an additional $50 or $60 or more will be required?

I fail to see how sharing information is a problem.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #45
Grinnin OP
Forever N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
I bought mine in August 2012 from a local store "Camp & Pack" which sells more military surplus than anything else. I just re-measured and I was a little off, but still under 18" "relaxed"

I can push against the elastic cord and get them to 17 1/2" (I know I'm splitting hairs here)
To the nearest half-inch that's 18 relaxed or 17.5 compressed.

Thanks for checking.