Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #16
Mikehusa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
My Holan crash bars absolutely protect my 800XC, especially the plastic tank shrouds. I use them a lot offroad. Not to say I would crack a case if i didn't have them but I like the extra protection. I sand and paint them regularly and to think if I was replacing tank shrouds and side covers as often makes me cringe. In tough situations I use them to pivot my bike around on. I chose them specifically because of where they mount to the engine. I am NOT an engineer but used common sense when making my decision.
Mikehusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #17
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
They've saved my plastic several times, and are a convenient place to hang my aux lights and Contour camera. Will soon be holding a pair of highway pegs too.

Weight is a non issue for touring bikes I think, considering the amount of crap we pile on as "luggage"

If you're a minimalist who doesn't care about scratches...leave 'em off.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #18
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,565
Useless in a crash, probably yes in many circumstances.

But I ride a DL 650 off road, it's a big fat top heavy pig. My 'crashes' would best be described as low speed topples, they work just fine there.

The dirt bikes I used to ride were a lot more crashable, yeah, plastics got scuffed, but they were narrower a LOT lighter and things were tucked in a lot more.

And comparing a Dakar bike with a fat-pig adventure bike is laughable in every way, the pigs will generally benefit from crash bars, the Dakar bikes not so much - though, look closely, you'll often see an extra loop of metal tucked away those as well - common under the radiator shrouds.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #19
ParaMud
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
KLR: Protect the radiator and it's components. Thats it.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #20
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,984
SW Motech crash bars make me feel more secure on my CBF1000.

I doubt in a crash at speed they would save the day, but a low speed or parking lot drop they could save a love of damage. Plus I'm hoping to figure a way to add highway pegs.

Port of Collingwood
Old 01-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #21
mwood7800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
Crash bars on any boxer are for no speed tip over only.
mwood7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #22
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwood7800 View Post
Crash bars on any boxer are for no speed tip over only.
bullshit.. I have crashed my boxer at all speeds and the heads have been protected in every crash In fact I was T-boned and the bike would have been totaled but I chose to not have a scratched fork tube repaired, so they didnt total it.. the rear subframe was bent.. lots of other issues, but the heads, tank, etc .. basically everywhere the crash bars protected the bike, no issues. At least on a GSA the crash bars do their job extremely well.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:07 PM   #23
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 867
I think we can all agree, they sure as hell don't make an accident worse! So if it makes you more comfortable? Go with it, My GSA has all the protection that I can get on it.
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:19 PM   #24
NesquikNinja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex76 View Post
I think we can all agree, they sure as hell don't make an accident worse! So if it makes you more comfortable? Go with it, My GSA has all the protection that I can get on it.
Damn you. Now that you say that people are going to be coming in saying they will, and will likely even make valid arguments.

I wish I had them when the pavement not only exploded my timing cover, but shaved away a small bit of my crankcase, requiring all internals of my motor be transferred to a new block to save the bike.

Worst $7500 that I have ever thrown across the pavement lol. DAMNITTT I wish I had crash bars at that time.
NesquikNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #25
Longboardr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
I suppose it all depends on what you're riding.

Longboardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:13 PM   #26
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
With all due respect to Walter, it is horses for courses. The comparison with the 'Dakar racers' is a little misleading. These guys are only worried about damage that will stop them continuing, are not worried about cosmetic damage and are obsessive about weight which is entirely correct for their perspective. But for the average Joe that can't afford the $XXXX (insert required big $ amount here) in replacement 'cosmetic' panels and is less concerned about weight, crash bars make very good sense. And I guess everyone is different, which is why we all don't ride the same bike with the same tyres, with same oil and with same luggage system with the same crash protection wearing the same suits and the same helmets.

For the record I don't run crash bars on a 2011 KTM 990, I am happy to let my Safari tanks, soft bags and handlebar protectors take the fall (which happens a lot!).

syzygy9 screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 10:46 PM Reason: added pic
syzygy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:24 AM   #27
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,222
I thought I replied last night, guess it didn't go through or something.

Anyways, I can't say for certain that my crash bars will help. If I crash with no damage to the bike, I won't know if the crash bars saved it, or if there wouldn't have been damage anyways.

Just like skid plates. I always put them on, but when I bought my XRR it was 9 years old, factory skidplate, and no engine damage. I know the riding area where the PO rode it, and it is VERY rough. Wellsville OH, AKA Yellow Creek, if anyone's ever been there.

Here's what I do know and can say 100%-

They might protect my plastics/tank/radiator.
They are a place to attach my Happy Trails nerf bags
They don't look *that* bad.
They aren't *that* heavy.
They are cheaper than a tow truck/radiator combo.

Are they worth it? I don't know. None of us can 100% say that for every given model the bars are worth the money. For every wreck that they save damage there's another guy who's bars did nothing. I can say that I witnessed the factory Harley Davidson bars that come on touring bikes save bikes a few times. A friend's dad has dropped his dresser at least 5 or 6 times now, and the only damage is a few scratches on the bottom of the bars. I can also say that the average aftermarket crash bar is as strong if not stronger than the factory Harley stuff, and the bikes are lighter.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #28
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
As has been stated...the Dakar analogy really doesn't work...the bikes are built for racing. They want to keep the weight down and the bikes are throw away for the most part...

Call me a poser but I like the look of the Engine/Crash Guards...

On my Versys it saved the bike from damage in slow speed drops....

Plastic is expensive....a can of black spray paint is cheap....

With the my S10s radiator mounted on the side I like having a little extra protection there as well. That could make the difference between continuing your ride or a tow home....
Old 01-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #29
Eladbern
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
It probably depends on a lot of factors. What bike you have and what the bars are designed to do. I've seen bar designs that were meant to protect just the engine case (cruisers) and those like the ones on my Transalp that protect the bodywork as well. Personally I wouldn't ride without mine. Plastic for an alp isn't easy to find and unfortunately I got to test mine a few months ago when I hit a mattress someone hadn't secured in their trailer on the parkway at night. I can't start to tell you how much damage the bars saved the bike but I will say beyond a shadow of a doubt it was the difference between totaling the bike out or fixing it. With the bars my windshield got slightly ground there was a little grinding on the tail box. I also had to replace the rear turn signal lens, the mirrors and a bent foot peg. Of course the crash bars got ground down severely but 130 investment saved 1000's in repair of unreplaceable parts. My only damaged panel was the nose cowl wich the body shop repaired and painted for 180.
Eladbern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #30
moriver
Lets Go That Way?

Oddometer: 75
Not True For ME.

My KLR has been down six times that I can think of and it does have crash bars. Two have been on the street with only scratches on the bars. Three off road "naps" as you might call it with only scratches on the bars again. The sixth time the bike was setting in my garage on a lift without the crash bars on and fell over.....Yep, broken plastic and scratced tank. Repaired the broken parts and put the bars back on. Its now an all black KLR.
moriver is offline   Reply With Quote