ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #31
low-post lurker

Oddometer: 204
On big heavy street bikes, they can save your leg, & keep you from getting pinned. I'm talking about the old chrome loop style on Harleys, Guzzis etc. A low-speed tip over can find your leg crushed by a hot exhaust. Nice to have a bit of room to wiggle out from under it.

396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #32
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,315
A Wee Strom I owned decided to take a nap, just fell off the side stand. SW-Motech bars prevented any damage other than the left front turn signal. Lesson learned, they were replaced with flush mount signals.

I'd say the bars paid for themselves. Even better yet, they came with the bike when I bought it used.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #33
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
I've seen them work on a few bikes. Mainly protecting body panels from damage. Considering a there's about $5k in tanks and panels on something like an Adventure I think I would want crash bars on it.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #34
cjmadura
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Thumb Crash bars for me!

Clearly everyone has a different need for crashbars depending on their bike and mission. For me, my 2006 Tiger has bars to protect the large plastic tank. The bike has been tipped over at rest and dumped at about 20 mph in the dirt around a mountain turn taken too fast. In both cases the tank remained untouched, so the bars are a win.

On my 2008 KLR650 the bars are mainly to keep the bike functioning, though protecting the tank and plastic panels is a very nice bonus. The bike is heavy enough as it is, but the bars are pretty light, so I find them worthwhile. I've dumped this bike a number a times offroad, without damage.

For the majority of street riders, I think we all want our panels protected, as long as the bars are not too obtrusive.

cjmadura screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 11:08 AM
cjmadura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #35
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,892
I've seen a lot of HD's tipped over with no damage... Not tested my own yet (knock on wood)
I've tested the GSA and they at the least saved me some broken plastic.

They work best for tipovers rather than crashes at speed... They also give me another place to put my feet on the HD and carry my lower fairings.

If you crash in dakar doing the speeds they are doing, you're damn lucky to just get up on your own and even luckier if the bike still works. Crashbars add weight and little protection for the speeds they crash at.
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #36
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,093
On a KLR650, the radiator is VERY vulnerable in even quite minor drops. If you're headed off road past the range of your cell phone, I'd say you need protection for this reason alone. You can work around a lot of other damage, but a munched radiator could be a show-stopper.

The bracket on the right that holds the reservoir and electrics is also quite crunchable.

The KLR650 also has the water pump sticking out of the front right of the engine, and it's a very thin casting, so you really need something there, even if it's just the stock plastic skid plate.

Air-cooled bikes, like the XR or DR, have much less need for crash bars. With any dual-sport bike, some sort of protection for the controls can save quite a lot of inconvenience. A zero-mph drop without stout handguards will bend your clutch or brake lever and possibly snap off the switch pods. With protection, it's no issue at all.

I'm a klutz off-road, and my KLR's crash bars and handguards have paid for themselves over and over.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:52 PM   #37
duc916pilot
kiwimike

Oddometer: 22
Laugh

Bwringer, thanks for your post. So far I have been lucky with my 08 KLR, had quite a few tumbles with no major damage, scratched the plastic up pretty good, but luckily no damage to the radiator - yet. Think I will be putting the Happy Trails Nerf Bars on before the spring. As you say, a damaged radiator would likely be the ride over and very expensive. Also a PITA in the middle of nowhere!
duc916pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:01 PM   #38
jprovence
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
My altRider bars are bent and I've had to replace the all plastic on the V-strom. And I was only doing 25mph. I didn't get a scratch. If that tells you anything. Though my tank and frame are absolutely perfect so thats the important parts. But they are bent a few cm's.
jprovence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:24 PM   #39
Eye of the Tiger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
I've had a brake pedal punch a hole in the engine side cover and create a massive oil leak. A new side cover was cheaper than crash bars, though.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:49 AM   #40
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,522
The bars on my 08 KLR have saced the radiator and side fairings numerous times, they have more than paid for themselves. The only care they need is a bit of touch up paint every now and then to cover the scratches.
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:31 AM   #41
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,999
I'm wondering guys...should I get rid of my snowblower (live in Quebec) given that the Dakar guys don't use one?
Old 01-30-2013, 06:38 AM   #42
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Too many variables

Crash bars definitely saved my bike. 40+ MPH lowside and bike slid at least 150 ft across the asphalt

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:55 AM   #43
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
On my 650 V-Strom A Givi crashbar, Moto ADV Stuff skidplate combo is essential to protect the bodywork and lower engine. Suzuki decided to put a lot of delicate parts right out in the open. For a low speed crash these bars do(have) worked very well. A WeeStrom is so ugly anyway who cares if something makes it look a little worse?
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #44
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
Other than for boxer engines, I've always thought of crash bars as protection for body panels/plastics. Dakar racers don't give a shit if they scratch their plastics. In fact if you look at most crash bars sold by TT, wunderlich, Altrider, SW motech, etc, they're designed to protect mostly plastic body panels. I think they're popular because most folks don't want to scratch up their bike and a small investment can prevent that. Have you priced replacement BMW body panels? I'll pay $300 for crash bars if it will save me $800 in plastic replacement.

This.

I've ground through one set of H&B lower and upper crashbars and am on my second set, now. Not a dime has been spent on expensive plastic body parts or valve covers.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:00 AM   #45
jprovence
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
I'm wondering guys...should I get rid of my snowblower (live in Quebec) given that the Dakar guys don't use one?
Exactally, I don't ride like a Dakar rider, so why set my bike up like them. Ricky racers ITT
jprovence is offline   Reply With Quote