ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2005, 11:18 PM   #1
gentry OP
For Reasons Unknown...

Oddometer: 3,251
Naches, Funny Rocks, Moon Rocks, Wagon Trail.

Ok, Ive been on about this for months. Well, Stosh and I rode over that way again last weekend and it appears the weather and terrain are starting to get to that perfect combination out there.

The pack of DRZ's, XR's, KLR's and KTM's rolling out of the hills with satisfied riders was all I needed to see...

For anyone that has never been off-road around that part of WA I would highly recommend it. The trails, terrain and views are utterly mind-blowing with the Cascade Range looming all around.

This would be a weekend run that I am planning for the weekend of July 16th. It would either be a camping affair or we could book the rooms at "Whistlin' Jacks" off of 410. Saturday would be a ride around the trails and rocks and Sunday would be following part of the "Wagon Trail." This ride would go over mostly intermediate terrain and at points runs along the very ridge lines of the mountains. This would not be a good ride for someone who has never ridden off-road. Knobbies recommended.

If anyone is interested let me know when, where you want to stay (tent etc) and what you'd ride. I can put a plan together.

The middle of the year is slipping away and Im damned if Im going to miss my annual Naches run even if I gotta go solo! It would be great to share it with you blokes!

gentry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 11:20 PM   #2
gentry OP
For Reasons Unknown...

PS: GS's should be fine as long as they've got good tread and your not worried about a few scratches. I took my GSA up around there when I had it. That would obviously include wee-stroms too!

Old 06-30-2005, 05:20 AM   #3
a16tony
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentry
Ok, Ive been on about this for months. Well, Stosh and I rode over that way again last weekend and it appears the weather and terrain are starting to get to that perfect combination out there.

The pack of DRZ's, XR's, KLR's and KTM's rolling out of the hills with satisfied riders was all I needed to see...

For anyone that has never been off-road around that part of WA I would highly recommend it. The trails, terrain and views are utterly mind-blowing with the Cascade Range looming all around.

This would be a weekend run that I am planning for the weekend of July 16th. It would either be a camping affair or we could book the rooms at "Whistlin' Jacks" off of 410. Saturday would be a ride around the trails and rocks and Sunday would be following part of the "Wagon Trail." This ride would go over mostly intermediate terrain and at points runs along the very ridge lines of the mountains. This would not be a good ride for someone who has never ridden off-road. Knobbies recommended.

If anyone is interested let me know when, where you want to stay (tent etc) and what you'd ride. I can put a plan together.

The middle of the year is slipping away and Im damned if Im going to miss my annual Naches run even if I gotta go solo! It would be great to share it with you blokes!
IN! lock the date so I can order a room. I'm just a terrible camper.
a16tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 05:45 AM   #4
CascadeThumper
Critical Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Sounds like fun. I've heard that this is a great place to wander around. A room at Jack's would be just right. Count me in, if work does not interfere.
CascadeThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 08:20 AM   #5
gentry OP
For Reasons Unknown...

OK, I plan on talking to WJ's and see what the story/rates/availability is etc.

Old 06-30-2005, 08:41 AM   #6
gentry OP
For Reasons Unknown...

Whistlin' Jacks Lodge

The Lodge

Easy to get to. Go south then over 410 from the west towards Yakima.

Old 06-30-2005, 08:51 AM   #7
Guaglione
Country mice

Oddometer: 2,289
if I make it to this one, it'd be Sunday only. I'd probably meet you at WJ's on Sunday morning.

"This is the sort of ardent pedantry up with which I will not put."
Winston Churchill
Guaglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:00 AM   #8
gentry OP
For Reasons Unknown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaglione
if I make it to this one, it'd be Sunday only. I'd probably meet you at WJ's on Sunday morning.

No worries. Im thinkin' sunday would be part of the Wagon Trail. Ill check conditions to make sure it isnt too gnarly for a GS. A father and son team Stosh and I talked to had just come out of those trails and said some of them would kill a GS so Ill plan on trying to do a day's recon on it before we all go if I can get the time. They were on a Honda and KTM and looked like theyd had a rough run. I think they came over the eastern ridges though that have a lot of boulders etc.

You workin' Saturdays? My sundays are beginning to fill with work but Im going to make a point of clearing that one.

Old 06-30-2005, 09:05 AM   #9
Guaglione
Country mice

Oddometer: 2,289
let me know. I don't want to get up at 4 am just to find out the trails are GS unfriendly.

Yeah, I'm working some Saturdays. I am saving my extra days off for the late summer Oly GPS ride that I have heard rumours about, plus I think Cycoactive is doing a GPS ride sometime in September that I want to do.

"This is the sort of ardent pedantry up with which I will not put."
Winston Churchill
Guaglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:05 AM   #10
88NX250
Team USA

Oddometer: 723
definetly lock in the date! I will be camping if I go...I am just a cheap-ass.

I have wanted to run that wagon trail for some time now!

Weekends are usually good for me so long as I have advanced notice. I might even drive over Friday night so I can have two full days of awsomeness!
88NX250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:21 AM   #11
gentry OP
For Reasons Unknown...

Yeah, I'd dig doin' that Oly ride. I missed it last time.

88' the Wagon Trail is wicked. I'll just have to get a head count of whose interested so we can pick appropriate trails. Luca, no worries on the GS. I just need to know whose coming etc. The trails around there range from the fireroads me, batfink, Tony, Johnny etc went on above the lodge to sickening ridgeline singletrack strewn with roots and rock n stuff. I swear though, I havent done a run with more spectacular scenery than Ive seen up there with all the big peaks and volcanoes of the Cascade Range all around you. It's mind boggling. There are 4X4's and bikes up there a lot but Ive yet to hit any kind of traffic Jam. Dirt helmets are pretty much required or you can pretty much choke on the dust.

Old 06-30-2005, 09:53 AM   #12
L.A.
Regular Guy™

Oddometer: 1,305
Quote:
The trails, terrain and views are utterly mind-blowing with the Cascade Range looming all around.
Pics! We need pics!

"In their lifetimes, most people will never need a gun. Those that do will need one very badly."
- Gen. George A. Custer
L.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:03 AM   #13
gentry OP
For Reasons Unknown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.
Pics! We need pics!

Im lookin'

So many damned computers I forget where the hell I put my "personal" stuff....

James, Ron, Davidovich? You guys interested in bringing your Mad Skillz to the party???

Old 06-30-2005, 11:50 AM   #14
Davidovich650
KLR-ista

Oddometer: 245
Hey, depending how we get there, I know an interesting side-route that you can get through on a Goldwing!!!

To get the most time-on-gravel, you could run over Snoqualmie Pass and take Stampede or Tacoma Pass (North Bend to Easton and only do 8 miles on I-90), to Windy Gap and on to FR-70, Pyramid Pass, Government Meadows, etc. Then on Sunday, go east down to Hwy 12 and up over Manastash Ridge, through Taneum, back to I-90, and the Cabin Creek crossing (I've seen GS's do this crossing heading east - going west is a bit harder - there's about a 10 foot climb out of the creek that KLR's will balk at). And you'd love the cow path I found a few years ago! Like I said - you could do it on a Goldwing!!!

Whatever. Yeah, I'm in.

Pic taken between Windy Gap and Pyramid Pass. Rainier in the background.

Cabin Creek.

Quote:
Im lookin'

So many damned computers I forget where the hell I put my "personal" stuff....

James, Ron, Davidovich? You guys interested in bringing your Mad Skillz to the party???
Davidovich650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:10 PM   #15
gentry OP
For Reasons Unknown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidovich650
Hey, depending how we get there, I know an interesting side-route that you can get through on a Goldwing!!!

To get the most time-on-gravel, you could run over Snoqualmie Pass and take Stampede or Tacoma Pass (North Bend to Easton and only do 8 miles on I-90), to Windy Gap and on to FR-70, Pyramid Pass, Government Meadows, etc. Then on Sunday, go east down to Hwy 12 and up over Manastash Ridge, through Taneum, back to I-90, and the Cabin Creek crossing (I've seen GS's do this crossing heading east - going west is a bit harder - there's about a 10 foot climb out of the creek that KLR's will balk at). And you'd love the cow path I found a few years ago! Like I said - you could do it on a Goldwing!!!

Whatever. Yeah, I'm in.

Pic taken between Windy Gap and Pyramid Pass. Rainier in the background.

Cabin Creek.

Still cant find any of my pics

But Ive done most of the run your referring to and its preferable on a DS fer sure. The more dirt the better. The street ride down 410 is spectacular with wicked twisties but Im not to interested in it on the DRZ and would prefer this route.

Damn glad your coming!