ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
Kootenai Rider OP
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,258
Desert 100 2013 General Thread

I'm starting this thread for general Desert 100 discussion so as to not clutter up Darryl's Do you want to race an Adventure Bike? Round 3 thread.

This is about the Stumpjumpers Desert 100 race to be taking place April 6, 7th this year.

Info here: Stumpjumpers Website

From the Stumpjumpers website:
The World Famous Desert 100 – Since 1969 when this annual race began, the Desert 100, once known as Mattawa, has been the most prestigious off road race of the year. In addition to the race, the Desert 100 weekend features the following events:
Family Poker Run – This is a fun event for the whole family and each year it gathers hundreds of riders just looking to have a fun ride and great time.
Iron Man Poker Run – This is not for the faint at heart. Designed for the more advanced rider, this event is much longer and harder than our family poker run.
Dual Sport – We also put on a very fun ride for those who have dual sport bikes. People always look forward to these events knowing they are in for a fun day. You will have lunch at the Brewery, see the sights of Odessa and the surrounding area which includes private property trail rides including the BLM Lakeview OHV area!
Food Drive – We host a food drive for the Odessa Food Bank at the race site on the race weekend. Your donations are gladly accepted. Pet food accepted too. Thanks for your support!

If you haven't been before, do yourself a favor and come and check it out. A great weekend of fun and riding.

Update - March 28th

As the big weekend approaches, I’ve summed up a lot of the info in this thread.

Desert 100 City
Humongous campground, filled as far as the eye can see with RV/Toy Haulers. If you are camping and want your friends to find you, I suggest giving them clear directions. Cell coverage is spotty to non-existent at best. If you are putting up some sort of marker flag, make sure it is unique as hell. Pirate Flag, Bike brand flags, American flags are not original, there are 10 of each out there.

No open fires, enclosed gas fire cases ok.

No ATV’s…anywhere, at all, don’t bring them. They’re ghey.

There is a vendor area selling bike accessories and parts, doing tire changes, etc…

There is a food area, typically run by some of the local high school clubs from Odessa. Support them, they can use your money, and the food is good.

Saturday
Ironman Poker Run – Two laps, around 80ish miles. Do-able on most dirt bikes. You can take your bigger bike, but you better know how to handle it.
Dual Sport Run – Get out and see surrounding landscape, including some of the local dirt roads. Best if done on smaller plated bikes, but perfectly do-able on larger bikes. Best you know how to handle your big bike well. Great offroad practice, but don’t expect to learn to show up and learn to ride here.
Family Poker Run – about 20-25 miles. Easy run of desert. Lots of families with small kids so don’t ride like a douche.

Race Day
Come prepared. Don’t be the stupid kid who doesn’t bring a water pack and then pulls over because you’re dehydrated. Bring tools to fix a flat, repair your chain, or otherwise wire your bike back together. Due to the sheer volume of bikes, and injured riders, do not expect the sweep riders
to come pick your broken bike up off the course until the very end of the race. The sweep riders are volunteers who need to be focusing on the injured. If you are not sure if your bike will make 50 miles at race pace, carry extra gas, and check your fuel lines before the race for cracks. (you know who you are ;-D )

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"

Kootenai Rider screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 03:11 PM
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:56 PM   #2
81forest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
I was hoping this thread would happen soon... I am planning on attending this event and WAS planning on entering in the 100 race... but watching some of the footage has made me a little nervous... The video that Darryl has posted of his 950 is terrifying, fascinating and freaking cool. Especially when he is flying past guys on "actual" dirt bikes by bushwacking through the sage...

This will be my first enduro event, and although I consider myself an "intermediate rider", I have not had a real dirt bike since I was a teenager twenty years ago. I know that the 100 is going to require some training, and I'm starting my regimen on Saturday morning at Tahuya! For those that have done this race before, what are your tips and suggestions? Do you need to take tools for a flat repair? Food? Is it unbelievably brutal or can the average weekend warrior show up on his drz and be fine? I know I want more challenge than the dual sport ride, and I love the idea of racing for 100 miles. It looks truly epic.

I have friends that set "fitness goals" for themselves around an upcoming triathlon or marathon. Eff that. The Desert 100 is going to be my fitness goal!
81forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:49 AM   #3
K7MDL
TE450, TE610

Oddometer: 1,552
If you re not out to win it, ride it at your own pace and no special conditioning is needed. Plenty of room to stop and rest when needed and watch the rest. Good stop points are the hill climbs and water crossings for the good entertainment value. Always some number of bikes trying to kick start in the middle of a creek.

I run steering stabilizers on my DS bikes. I swapped bikes with my son (same model bike but no stabilizer) at the Fringe poker run recently (similar terrain as the D100, with maybe more sand) and we both noted how much the stabilizer works to save effort. I was glad to get back on my own ride later. You forget what the differences are after a while and take some mods for granted. I did crank up the damping too much once in the sand and that did not bode well.

Tire flats do happen. Some ride it out to the pits if they are racing. It can be a long way back to the pits so fixing a tire/rim you want to save is worth it if you have the time and tools. I run 16-18lbs on my rear MT43s out there and worked fine as many others have also.

K7MDL screwed with this post 01-25-2013 at 02:56 AM
K7MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:21 AM   #4
Harder1
braaaap!

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81forest View Post
I was hoping this thread would happen soon... I am planning on attending this event and WAS planning on entering in the 100 race... but watching some of the footage has made me a little nervous... The video that Darryl has posted of his 950 is terrifying, fascinating and freaking cool. Especially when he is flying past guys on "actual" dirt bikes by bushwacking through the sage...

This will be my first enduro event, and although I consider myself an "intermediate rider", I have not had a real dirt bike since I was a teenager twenty years ago. I know that the 100 is going to require some training, and I'm starting my regimen on Saturday morning at Tahuya! For those that have done this race before, what are your tips and suggestions? Do you need to take tools for a flat repair? Food? Is it unbelievably brutal or can the average weekend warrior show up on his drz and be fine? I know I want more challenge than the dual sport ride, and I love the idea of racing for 100 miles. It looks truly epic.

I have friends that set "fitness goals" for themselves around an upcoming triathlon or marathon. Eff that. The Desert 100 is going to be my fitness goal!

You'll be fine on the DRZ. I've done the event 6 or 7 times with mine, but stiffer springs sure will help. Another fun way to get a taste of everything is to start early on Sat a.m. and do a lap of the Iron Man and then go ride the D.S. route. It ends up around 150 miles for the day and you get a lot of terrain variation. Plus, your last checkpoint is the brewery.
P.S. I'll be at Tahuya on Sat. a.m. too. On blue DRZ w/ Desert tank and abide sticker on front. Cheers
Harder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
Kootenai Rider OP
Displaced Adventurer

As far as conditioning goes, if you do any training, just do push-ups and a lot if them.

Take what tools you need to fix a flat or other minor problems.

There are so many bikes at this race that if your bike is stuck out on course, typically the sweep won't get to bikes until after the race finishes.

What I'm saying is, don't rely on the sweep unless you have to. Let them focus on the injured riders not your broke ass bike.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #6
81forest
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harder1 View Post
You'll be fine on the DRZ. I've done the event 6 or 7 times with mine, but stiffer springs sure will help. Another fun way to get a taste of everything is to start early on Sat a.m. and do a lap of the Iron Man and then go ride the D.S. route. It ends up around 150 miles for the day and you get a lot of terrain variation. Plus, your last checkpoint is the brewery.
P.S. I'll be at Tahuya on Sat. a.m. too. On blue DRZ w/ Desert tank and abide sticker on front. Cheers
Ok then, I'm in. Copy bring flat tools. Thanks for the info, everyone. I will definitely be check pointing at the brewery, regardless of whether I enter the dual sport event...
I'll look for your abide sticker at elfendahl, I'll be riding my orange 450, rolling up in a buddy's red van. See you there-

Forest
81forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
mx813
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider View Post

What I'm saying is, don't rely on the sweep unless you have to. Let them focus on the injured riders not your broke ass bike.

Well said... and I have swept the race 4 yrs as sweep captain and now co-chair and soon to be next year, chairman.

Ultimately, you are responsible for your own bike. During our final sweep, we will do everything to help get you going again. If that is not feasible, we'll do everything we can to get you to camp and give you directions on how to drive to the bike. While race is going, this is not possible.

BTW...started a new thread with the flyers for the 2013 D100. Check 'em out.

Mike
2013 Desert 100 Co-Chair
Old 01-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #8
liv2rydktms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,244
Yeehaw!

Link to flyer: http://stumpjumpers.org/documents/20...side-FINAL.jpg

Link to pre-registration forms: http://stumpjumpers.org/2013/01/24/2...-registration/

Good luck!
IBA#33733
"R" Death Valley trip

liv2rydktms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #9
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider View Post
As far as conditioning goes, if you do any training, just do push-ups and a lot if them.

Deadlifts.

Hey, it happens. They also help you stand in the whoops. If I remember right the D100 has a few sections of those.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:51 PM   #10
Kootenai Rider OP
Displaced Adventurer

Well if you want to be remotely fast and not suffering for the next three days after..... Train. I've been making a concerted effort to work out all winter. Last weekend at juniper proved that it is working. I rode pretty hard for 45 miles that say and wasn't that tired the next. I've been focusing on exercises the mimic riding. As a result I was not overly sore or tired.

Lots of shoulder, arms and core. No heavy weights, just lots of reps at high frequency. Zero arm pump to speak of, and felt like I could stand all day.

Hopefully riding back at Juniper this weekend. (Sunday) hitting the woops hard since that's what really takes it out of me.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #11
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,408
This race is stupid

oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #12
Chris6_85
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
scared?

i think someone is scared

[/QUOTE]
Chris6_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #13
Grantizzle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
in for a lap of a poker run then the DS routes. i did 160 miles last year on a KLR. this year, i'll be on a smc625. much lighter, more powah, more fun.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #14
Alpha One Nine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
Maybe I'll see you on the DS route Grant. It will be good to see you again. I will probably be on my WR450 trying to keep up with Ladybug on her DR200.
Alpha One Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #15
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 938
I hope it's warmer this year... like 40 degrees would be nice

K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote