Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #31
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,096
Very cool photos of the area. Those two guys in the video look absolutely spent.

First time I heard of Bluefields was back in 1988. Hurricane Juana swept north along the CA Carribean coast and hit Bluefields hard. I'll always remember that hurricane because it was largely responsible for my wife and I getting together!

Look forward to more.
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #32
aviatorbdm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
It is amazing to see some of your photos. I was in Nicaragua in 2008 and many of the places look familiar.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #33
brecchi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Thanks for the responses guys, Im glad a few folks are reading this! Pictures are coming which tie into the previous post. Im in Cartagena, Colombia at the moment about to start a new adventure....a good connection is a bit hard to find. Just picked up a Chinese bike and will start slowly heading South tomorrow. Ill be trying to complete this report before too long.
brecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #34
brecchi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Bluefields-El Rama

Old 05-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #35
Comrade Art
Working stiff

Oddometer: 492
Interesting place. Was the statue on page 1 of Daniel Ortega?
Good luck with your travels south and keep us posted.

"All human beings by nature desire to know" - Aristotle
Comrade Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:10 AM   #36
salcar
Riding 4 Health

Oddometer: 1,075

I was wondering what happened with you and if you made it to Bluefields!
I'm currently wrapping up my trip across Africa (currently in Luxor, Egypt) and in June heading to Nicaragua to Ride from Waspam Atlantic Coast to the pacific coast. Let me know when/if you go back to Nicaragua.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:21 AM   #37
brecchi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey Art thanks for reading. The statues are in the central park in Matagalpa and are of Thomas Borges on the left and Carlos Fonseca in the middle, founder of the Sandinistas and born locally

Sal! Good to hear from you. I hope your Africa trip is going well and that there will be a ride report following. I wish I could join you in Nica and I am sure it will be an adventure! I just got done my first day riding in South America....am currently in Mompos by way of Cartagena.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #38
brecchi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

To Lagunas Perlas

So....back at El Rama, I stay the night at the Hotel Oasis and decide that if I cant make it to Bluefields by road, at least Ill be able to take the road to Lagunas Perlas, and then be able to say that I rode to the Atlantic. I head off down a gnarly path and soon end up in a bit of a wasteland of stray dogs and hollowed out big buildings. I turn around and get on the right path. Its pretty unpleasant, the road is littered with sharp softball sized rocks all over the place, and the Yumbo is definitely not up to the task. I keep waiting for the frame to crack in half. I think its about 100 miles to the coast, but I am going about 30 mph max. My duffel which has been fine up till now strapped on the back keeps getting shaken loose and I have to stop about 10 times to adjust and re- adjust. It is nice out here though, rolling hills and farms, cows, etc. There are a couple of towns dotted along the way and the road starts to get more difficult. It is starting to get dark at this point, and a female cop and her partner on a little motorbike leads me into the settlement of Fonseca, which is halfway between Lagunas Perlas and El Rama. You will not find this place on a map. It is definitely lacking in infrastructure. I am lead to the ¨guesthouse¨. It is a big weird structure, made of planks of wood with pieces missing everywhere, like it was only halfway built out of Lincoln Logs. By someone who is way into MC Escher. A strange mazelike contraption that is hard to describe. There is a kind of cantina on the bottom and I am led upstars to my room. There is no electricity here, or working bathroom. It is basically a dirty wooden box with a bed. Its kind of depressing. I dont need much , but I am a bit sketched out. The lady cop is weirdly aggressive - not really towards me but she has an alpha - asserting her power with a loud voice and swift movements - type of presence. I thank her and her partner and they leave. It is then that I look at my bike, and see no duffel........
Old 05-25-2013, 11:15 PM   #39
brecchi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 05-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #40
brecchi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

so......with a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach, I start looking around and backtracking trying to find the back. Im exhausted, my Spanish is faltering, and Im attracting a bit of a crowd which under the present circumstances is irritating. The lady cop comes back and takes control, asking questions, and helping me backtrack. Although she insists that she didnt see a duffel on my bike when I rolled up, I am pretty sure it has been stolen and I say so. At the police station. I file a report and it is then that I hit my low of the trip- I decide I really dont want to continue and that I want to get the hell out of here and go back to El Rama in the dark. I am pretty sure at this point that I just lost the bag, and when I tell the cops my plans they insist that I stay in town, that it is dangerous. Even though they are right, this frustrates me even more and when they ask where I am going I say something like ¨back to my country¨.....yeah, not really my finest moment. They give me a look like ¨whatever¨and I dont blame them.

I start the very slow crawl back to El Rama keeping an eye out for the bag. I know though, that the first person who saw it has grabbed it.....that shit is gone . I run into 2 young guys on bicycles and get to talking about my situation - I say that if they see the bag Ill give them a decent reward. They see this as a great opportunity and say they will help me search but for quadruple the amount I offered. They are really animated and very into taking advantage of this potentially big windfall, but I really dont need this right now. I mention that I am not into this hustle on a dirt track in the middle of nowhere at night, and I roll out. Im crawling along at 15-20 mph. The bike is doing badly and is sounding horrible. I stop and check it out. Oh - it sounds like that because .....the entire exhaust has disappeared! The owners of the bike are not going to be happy. Also, where did the turn signals and the kickstand go? On top of that, the mud is caking on the engine and causing it to overheat. I do what I can and eventually crawl into town a couple of hours later and go back to the Hotel Oasis, planning to deal with the bike in the morning. Before I hit the sack I take a mental inventory of what I lost: All my clothes, toiletries, netbook (with the backup photos from the memory card I lost in Bluefields, so now those are gone), a couple of books, and a camera lens worth a few hundred bucks that I borrowed from a friend. At least I had my passport on me and my camera on my hip. I just want this night to be done, and hope I´ll feel better in the morning.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #41
brecchi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 05-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #42
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 512
Thumb "that's Nica, brecchi....."

sorry about the (likely) stolen duffle! been lurking and following your adventure. our family has gone to Nicaragua 6 x's over the last few years to do volunteer work in La Paz Centro. in fact, i am back on a bike after 27 years because of our last trip in 2/2013; my host family let me ride a 125cc they had and the bike "bug" bit me hard, so i bought a bike when we returned. we have been to all the places you are visiting. when we go we travel with no valuables at all and minimal stuff to keep track of, as things often "disappear". nonetheless, we love nicaragua, despite the poverty and desperation, and look forward to each return. in general, we find the people open, kind and generous with the little they have (by USA standards). the nicaraguan families we know would literally give us "the shirt off their back" if they thought we needed it. keep your spirits up and i hope you enjoy the rest of your journey without incident!
Old 05-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #43
brecchi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks man, in hindsight things could have been much worse.....and I am pretty sure that I lost the bag off the back and that it wasn't stolen. Just picked up off the side of the road by whoever was passing by. Nicaragua is still my favorite country, the people have always been really good to me
Old 05-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #44
Mi Vale Madre
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
was in bluefields a few years back but left my samari in rama and took the river boat to bluefields,flew out islas maiz. did not there was a road. whan you get time could you post this route you took.
Mi Vale Madre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #45
brecchi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Mi Vale Madre - Im thinking you may not have actually read any of this thread?.........sorry, I didn't find the road, although a couple of Italian guys managed it - they talk about it in the middle of this thread and there is a link to a detailed report they did.