User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 12:29 AM   #1
Dracothius OP
Berserker

Oddometer: 229
Question 1190 r vs 990 r

I'm hoping (really hoping) that come the last half/third of this year I can get a new bike. I really like the 950 SE but because of its rarity and age I think it's probably a bad buy even if I can find one(in terms of 50'000 mile + investment). So what I'm thinking is the R versions of both bikes is similar in what it's purpose is leaning towards, off road performance. I'm basically curious what I lose and gain between the two models purely off road. I know the 990 r is 20 lbs lighter but has just under 40 less horsepower. The 990 r has an inch more travel and is slightly more friendly off road. If the 690 was a 10(1-10 scale, 10 being amazing) for off road dual sport would the 990 be a 9 and the 1190 an 8 or would the 1190 be more like a 7 or 6. I'm worried that the benefits of the 1190 would/would not be worth getting it instead of the 990. In case you want to know I would be commuting during the week when I could, but the main purpose of the bike is to ride an hour to the forest and explore on the weekends. There are a few single track trails but most are at least atv width. The main problem is sand. It can get deep here. I'm just really drawn to the KTM twins. The idea of an oversized dirt bike makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Thanks
Dracothius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:44 AM   #2
dmckiwi
Louder is always better

Oddometer: 66
I'd say if you wanted an SE then get the 990r, I went to the launch recently and the 1190r is pretty cool but if your more interested in offroad then I'd grab a 990r. Either way you will be smiling as both are great.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:49 AM   #3
geoffooooo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
I don't like the 1190 R. So much so that when I saw it I rushed out and bought a new 990 R while they were still around. I can't believe KTM have run the exhaust under the engine and that the ground clearance is now less than the standard 990 adventure. Plus too much electronic crap that will stuff up. I also feel that 150 horsepower is just a bit silly. The 990 has heaps enough. Get a 990.
geoffooooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:27 AM   #4
Gimme 2
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,974
You forgot to mention the extra weight, 990's 209 to 1190's 240?kgs. The 990's Original pipes weigh in 2 over 8kgs. This time next year the 1190r will be older or less newer and the excitment will have wained a bit, but the 990r is on the way to being a classic ,i have no doubt.
The 1190 will be a much better 2 up bike and street bike killer in the twistys and probly a better allrounder. If you can get both, that would save some heart ache
Gimme 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:49 AM   #5
alongat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 943
I've owned a number of larger KTMs including a 690 Enduro, a 950 adventure and an RC8R. I have ridden with a friend who has a 950SE and his SE is an absolute monster off road. I found the 690 to be the perfect off road bike for me; agile, narrow with plenty of off road power and suspension. It lacked power and riding comfort on longer highway trips but honestly, it was always better than I ever expected, even full of gear. It sucked as a two-up bike. The 950SEis everything the 690 is plus tons more power and of course, some weight penalty. My friend who rides his 950Se in trails has become very strong wielding all that weight around. He does use the power to help himself through tough situations but it's not nearly as agile in the tight stuff as a 690. My 950adv was a great bike, good power ad comfy on road but heavy, heavy, heavy. When it came time to replace it, I seriously considered waiting for the 1190r to arrive in North America but for me, I didn't like the way it looks (too Honda crosstourer and ktm SMT looking for me), I didn't like the idea of reduced travel and frankly, I don't care for all the electronic aids. Yes, it has light years more power than my 950adv but I had to think about whether or not my 950adv ever needed more offroad power and I decided that it probably didn't need much more than it had. That extra power was only really something I wanted for the road riding, alone or two-up. I decided that I wanted to replace my 950adv with the best of the current generation; a ktm that was at the very top of its evolutionary development cycle, a bike with all the "bugs" worked out and the most refinement or feature-rich ktm I could find. Alas, I bought the 990R - in my opinion the best 990 ever made. The suspension is chock full of travel and once adjusted or midwifed to suit a persona's individual needs, is perfect. The bike feels like it has so much more power than my 950adv ever had. I've changed out the stock thermonuclear heat generating mufflers for a pair of Leo Vince mufflers and mid-pipe, I'm planning an airbox like the CPR, decannisterizing it and then I'll do a custom tuned PC-V or Bazzaz. For me, I don't think I could handle more weight than this 990 offroad - the 1190 would be substantially heavier and softer. In my mind, I have bout the last of the 990 series bike and for me, getting the R model was absolutely the right choice for me. Best if all, it is in my hands now, not a year from now when the 1190 finally shows up...

Hope this helps - my suggestion is either find the lowest mileage 950SE that you can afford or pick up a 990R and go thrash...it will NOT disappoint.
And how can this be? For he is the Kwisatz Haderach!
alongat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:47 AM   #6
Lurkerlou
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffooooo View Post
I don't like the 1190 R. So much so that when I saw it I rushed out and bought a new 990 R while they were still around. I can't believe KTM have run the exhaust under the engine and that the ground clearance is now less than the standard 990 adventure. Plus too much electronic crap that will stuff up. I also feel that 150 horsepower is just a bit silly. The 990 has heaps enough. Get a 990.
That is my exact experience.

I knew I would be buying one in a few years but KTM's change forced my hand a little sooner and I'm happy it did. This thing is a riot.
Lurkerlou is offline   Reply With Quote