ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #1
wingridrs OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Talking South Alabama Historical Marker Tag-o-Rama

In addition to SATOR (South Alabama Tag-O-Rama) let's start one just for historical markers in South Alabama. The area for these markers should be in the green highlighted area on the SATOR map excluding Northern FL...

I know many of us have used the markers with the SATOR tags, but doesn't seem to be one just for historical tags. This would be one way to learn more about the great state of Alabama. The historical markers definition, styles, and types are found here:
http://www.lat34north.com/HistoricMarkersAL/MarkerDefinition.cfm

There are also various links with locations of markers, etc with this link. With this tag game there will be a "token" to retrieve and take and place at the next marker that is tagged.

Here is another good site to find man historical markers that may not be on the previous link:
waymarking.com

Rules will be pretty simple.
1. File photos should not be used. The idea is to get out and ride.
2. Tag must be (A) findable and (B) not placed on private land, (C) list condition of the road based on scale provided. Maintained gravel / dirt roads are OK, but make sure to let folks know that gravel is required to get to your tag and rate the road based on the scale. We're adv riders, but consider all may not be DS capable.
3. All tags must be within the Green Shaded Area. Refer to the map if you unsure as to the where the boundaries are.
4. The 36 Hour Rule. This rule is designed to keep the game moving. If someone makes a Grab, they have a 36 hour window to post the next Tag.

I will get this game started tomorrow with the first historical tag around South Alabama that I find. So stay tuned for pics and info sometime tomorrow.

Members of Southern Cruisers Riding Club
wingridrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
wingridrs OP
Adventurer

First Historical Tag

The "token" being used for this tag is an old fashioned looking key. My bike is facing Andrews Avenue. This is your actual tag location. The "token" is located between the two pillars on the left in this photo. It is stuck in the ground between the two pillars. A photo of it is at the bottom of this post. The other photos here are just some around this historic location.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #3
wingridrs OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingridrs View Post

The "token" being used for this tag is an old fashioned looking key. My bike is facing Andrews Avenue. This is your actual tag location. The "token" is located between the two pillars on the left in this photo. It is stuck in the ground between the two pillars. A photo of it is at the bottom of this post. The other photos here are just some around this historic location.

Looks like tomorrow will be a nice day for someone to go do some historical tagging...
Old 02-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
wingridrs OP
Adventurer

Is a nice day to be taggin this one...but since I placed it...someone else is gonna have to relocate it...
Old 02-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
Borrec
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Tag

Old 02-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
Borrec
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
New TAG!

Pisgah Primitive Baptist Church

Key under top rock next to Marker
Old 02-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
wingridrs OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrec View Post

Pisgah Primitive Baptist Church

Key under top rock next to Marker
Got to get with Google Earth and see if I can locate this...
Old 02-04-2013, 05:59 AM   #8
wingridrs OP
Adventurer

I believe I've found the location...now if things go well this week I may be able to venture out and relocate the tag...
Old 03-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #9
wingridrs OP
Adventurer

Weather is finally looking better...and now time or lack there of is an issue...would be nice riding up and get the tag and have lunch at Red's School House while in the general area.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
pnoman
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,040
History

Great idea for a tag game. May I suggest each tag grab involves writing at least a brief narrative about the marker and location, instead of a "grab and go". These locations all have some historical significance, so please take a moment and soak it all in.

I hated history in school, but now that I'm older I have gained more interest in it (maybe since I've lived through so much of it now LOL). I started the WV Historical Markers thread a few years ago (see link below) and over 25 riders photo'd and wrote up notes on over 825 markers. It was a tough, but very rewarding project. You have the makings in place for a similar project. Looking forward to reading about some of that "southern history".

LINK TO WV HISTORICAL MARKERS THREAD: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407164

Thanks!

My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #11
wingridrs OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoman View Post
Great idea for a tag game. May I suggest each tag grab involves writing at least a brief narrative about the marker and location, instead of a "grab and go". These locations all have some historical significance, so please take a moment and soak it all in.

I hated history in school, but now that I'm older I have gained more interest in it (maybe since I've lived through so much of it now LOL). I started the WV Historical Markers thread a few years ago (see link below) and over 25 riders photo'd and wrote up notes on over 825 markers. It was a tough, but very rewarding project. You have the makings in place for a similar project. Looking forward to reading about some of that "southern history".

LINK TO WV HISTORICAL MARKERS THREAD: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407164

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice about a little narrative about the markers. We have quite a bit of history here in Alabama. Folks just need to take a minute and maybe learn some of the states history that we may have slept through when in high school...
Old 04-07-2013, 06:22 AM   #12
wingridrs OP
Adventurer

Going to try and retrieve this one today...finally...
Old 04-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #13
wingridrs OP
Adventurer

Tag Retrieved

Old 04-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #14
wingridrs OP
Adventurer

Old 04-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #15
wingridrs OP
Adventurer

SATOR tag will be within 10 miles of the current historical tag location...while this close in proximity someone can easily get them both...I will have "Mr P" relocated tomorrow...