User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2013, 11:31 PM   #1
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
HD-Syndrome

Please everyone, I need your help and support.

I have a 2013 R1200GS Adventure that I love to death, but it keeps happening... Over and over and over, it won't stop...

I live in a area dominated by very nice Harley Davidsons. They are EVERYWHERE. In the Phoenix area there is about 3 Harley Davidson dealerships every square mile or so and they are the nicest, cleanest retail places I've ever been in. They are extremely friendly, professional and they have so many really nice looking articles of clothing, accessories and things to just get into. The bikes themselves are extremely fun to ride and cruise around on and are very well made and the riders in the area are generally super friendly. They also keep having these events, demo events, BIKINI BIKE WASHES! There's no end to it!

SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME, I love my bike to death but 95% of my riding is done around town or within 200 miles of it (day tripin', woo) or out through the desert to these neat little ghost/western towns that are FILLED WITH HARLEYS (and saguaro cactus.) NO ONE has ever made me feel bad for riding a bimmer, Harley guys always wave back at me around here. I also ride with a passenger (albeit she's small) but it's a tall bike to climb onto every time we want to cruise around town.

Deep down inside? Yeah, I think a street glide would be perfect for me. When I got the R1200GS it was between that and a street glide, I turned down a great deal on a street glide for it, that was about 4 months back. I don't even know if I could break even if I sold it right now.

I AM CONFUSED ABOUT MY BIKUALITY, I don't know what to do, I need guidance.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
mhpr262

Oddometer: 3,543
Have you ever actually ridden a Street Glide? Might be you'll be cured of your unwholesome lusts after that.
mhpr262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:49 PM   #3
Zeid OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhpr262 View Post
Have you ever actually ridden a Street Glide? Might be you'll be cured of your unwholesome lusts after that.
I've ridden just about every bike Harley has made in the past five or so years. Yes, I've ridden the street glide on three different occasions now. I love it.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:55 PM   #4
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
Do you meet the criteria required to ride a harley? Below is a short qualification quiz that may help.

Are you:

A. morbidly obese
B. REALLY morbidly obese
C. so morbidly obese they need to use a forklift to move you around

Do you

A. enjoy riding at least 20mph below the speed limit?
B. enjoy riding at least 50% lower than the posted speed limit with 30 cars behind you honking their horns
C. both A and B are correct

Do you wear

A. the correct harley branded do rag when riding?
B. a harley t-shirt, harley do rag, harley shoes, harley socks, harley underwear, harley tampon while riding
C. a cereal bowl novelty helmet with an official ebay counterfeit DOT sticker installed.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:03 AM   #5
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Do what makes you happy, ignore the sheep and the heard.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:21 AM   #6
Zeid OP
Adventurer

I could stand to lose 10-15 pounds to be in ideal shape but am not too bad off. I don't like riding fast, I enjoy cruising down lonely highways and byways at the speed limit or possibly a few mph below depending where it is, but never slow enough to slow up traffic and on twisties if I'm on the right machine I've knackered my share of sliders, but I ENJOY cruising more than anything. I do have one Harley T-shirt, it's really nice. I also have a BMW one, Triumph, Royal Enfield, several for Indian, a bunch of Vintage motorcycle shirts, an Isle of man shirt, several dirt biking shirts... I also use a snell approved full face helmet.

But as I said, I'm not sure if I can break even, even if I can I dread the selling process, especially with a bike this new and this expensive. I would forsee months and months of fighting it, tire kickers, etc.

Zeid screwed with this post 10-06-2013 at 12:35 AM
Zeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:38 AM   #7
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
If you want a hardley then buy one, if it fits your needs then that is the bike for you.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:42 AM   #8
Capt Crash
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Do what makes you happy, ignore the sheep and the heard.
Amen. Groupthink isn't just a Harley issue. If you like it? Go for it.
Capt Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:53 AM   #9
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 355
So.... you know how everytime you go to the Bemmer shop it cost no less than $100.

Well, in my wicked days when I rode a Harley it was worse...way worse. Every HD shop I went into to I had to purchase ......THE T-SHIRT!!!!!
It was shameless and intoxicating just don't go there!!!
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:28 AM   #10
Hot Stuff
Road Dragon

Oddometer: 329
The Street Glide is a great bike if the roads you ride on are mostly smooth. Go for it.
Hot Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:40 AM   #11
royal
Don't Follow

Oddometer: 631
I was kind of in the same boat as you. I had owned a number of sport touring bikes and while some were very good, there was just something that didn't "Do" it for me.

I was looking for something that made me feel like I did when I was an early teenager, grabbing a throttle for the first time. Nothing, and I mean nothing made me feel as excited as when I hopped on a bike when I was young.

Then life hit me square in the face, got married, had three kids, worked all the time. Didn't ride from 25 to 43. At 43, I decided to get back into it. But, that old excitement just wasn't there. And I tried. Hard. Suzuki V-Strom. Honda ST1300. BMW LT. BMW RT1200. Kawasaki C-14. Don't get me wrong, I had fun and went on some amazing trips and had some fantastic experiences. But, that thrill that I felt as a kid just wasn't there. Until....

I saw a 2012 Electra Glide Classic, white with midnight blue inserts. Like a mermaid to a sailor, it called to me. From the first time I threw a leg over it, the old feeling came rushing back.

Is it fast ? No, and I don't care. Is it reliable ? A crapload more than my RT, which stranded me three times in the first 7,000 miles I owned it. Is it fun to ride ? Absolutely. Is it overpriced ? Not for the way it works for me. I'd have saved myself thousands if I had bought the Harley first. Comfortable ? Oh, about a billion times more comfortable than any of my other bikes.

But, here's the thing. Someone said and I have quoted this on here before, so sorry if it's 205, but, "When you get off your bike and start walking away, you have to turn back just to look at it again, you have the right bike".

When I come home from work, I come in the house through the garage instead of the front door just because I get to look at it again. That, my friend, is what it's all about. Ignore all the haters. They are that way because they haven't found what moves them. I'm not saying you can't feel that feeling with another style or brand of bike, because you can. It's just that once you do find it, the need to bash other people's choices goes away.

Sorry to be so long winded, but as someone who wasted thousands (And I mean THOUSANDS) looking for something that was right under my nose, I felt obligated to give you my story. I wished someone had done the same for me a long time ago.

Lose a little money now or lose a lot of money later. Make the switch now and regain what it is that drew you to bikes in the first place. Worked for me and I'm betting it will work for you.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:43 AM   #12
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeid View Post
I've ridden just about every bike Harley has made in the past five or so years. Yes, I've ridden the street glide on three different occasions now. I love it.
its easy
you like bikes
buy a couple more.
hd or whatever
I love riding all bikes
always fun
cheers
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #13
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,577
HD-Syndrome

I rode H-Ds for years, purchasing my first new one in 1980. When I went from a dresser to the GSA, I thought, "Why the heck didn't I do this years ago?" Harleys do have a cool factor as noted by the determination on this rider gobbling up US 129:

Go for the 'Glide" if that's what trips your trigger.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #14
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,361
You know, I have seen that above pic posted in many threads as proof that HD's and their riders are slow, ill handling/poorly skilled and hold up traffic in the twisties but I have yet to see anyone post what is truly being shown in that photo. Let me shed a bit of light for moment...

First those cars in the background (2 Mini Coopers and a WRX), if driven properly, will outpace a super sport on a stretch of road or track that has few straightaways.

Secondly the road bicycles. That looks to be a downhill section. If so, there aren't very many vehicles (bike or car) that a skilled cyclist can't face rape through a twisty downhill.

Lastly , the old dude seems to be riding fairly well (and safely) for being on a public road . Good head position, decent lane position and a body position that is more than likely on par with the speed that he is carrying.

In the end, even if that HD in the pic were instead a CBR600rr , the proper chronology of speed would be bicycles first, cars next and mc bringing it up the rear.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #15
Hollyr
Vesterislendingur

Oddometer: 694
A month ago I was in the Alps (rr here) and the majority of bikes I saw were Harleys. Granted there were all sorts of centennial celebrations going on, but we saw group after group of very capable HD riders. Ride what you enjoy!