ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Totally 100% ready for a liter dirt bike!
Yes! 17 17.71%
No! 79 82.29%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
Xtremjeepn OP
Motorhead!

Oddometer: 1,891
Riding for 6mo/3500miles--- time for a KTM950?

Wanted to toss this out to the group. I figure hearing a few more opinions on this other than my own might be helpful.

I helped a friend get into riding when he became suddenly fascinated with it after seeing my wife's 650 Dakar sitting in the garage.

He are the basic facts.

-43 year old, just became fascinated with riding for the first time, HAD to have the 650 Dakar as his first bike. (Liked how it looked)
-took MFS class.
-has 6 months and 3500 miles under his belt.
-crashed 5-8 times in the dirt. (At least that I know of)
-still afraid of gooved pavement to the point that he can't keep up with traffic. (Or the rest of us doing the speed limit.)
-thinks he needs more power because my KTM runs away from him(yet I have never exceeded the speed limit when I ride with him....and my wife hangs with me just fine on her Dakar) He basically still has to slow down so much in corners that he ends up having to hammer it to "catch up" and thinks its because the bike isn't powerful enough.
-likes to ride in the dirt and has made statements like "I'd trailer my bike if I had to ride as far as Montana" (from Colorado)
-has had to turn around on trails with the 650 Dakar where other big bikes have continued ahead.

He is constantly sending me pictures and links to KTM 9X0s for sale and is now ready to buy one!

Alright, let's here your thoughts!...hell.....let's make this a simple poll too!

06 KTM 950 Adventure(The Fainting Goat)
FOR SALE 02 F650GS DAKAR
FOR SALE 2 KLR650s http://coffeemotorcycleswine.blogspot.com/
Xtremjeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,292
Sounds like he needs a 250.
Only when you get better than the bike that you are riding do you need a new one.
As you know, skills make the rider, not the bike.

TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
Wanted to toss this out to the group. I figure hearing a few more opinions on this other than my own might be helpful.

I helped a friend get into riding when he became suddenly fascinated with it after seeing my wife's 650 Dakar sitting in the garage.

He are the basic facts.

-43 year old, just became fascinated with riding for the first time, HAD to have the 650 Dakar as his first bike. (Liked how it looked)
-took MFS class.
-has 6 months and 3500 miles under his belt.
-crashed 5-8 times in the dirt. (At least that I know of)
-still afraid of gooved pavement to the point that he can't keep up with traffic. (Or the rest of us doing the speed limit.)
-thinks he needs more power because my KTM runs away from him(yet I have never exceeded the speed limit when I ride with him....and my wife hangs with me just fine on her Dakar) He basically still has to slow down so much in corners that he ends up having to hammer it to "catch up" and thinks its because the bike isn't powerful enough.
-likes to ride in the dirt and has made statements like "I'd trailer my bike if I had to ride as far as Montana" (from Colorado)
-has had to turn around on trails with the 650 Dakar where other big bikes have continued ahead.

He is constantly sending me pictures and links to KTM 9X0s for sale and is now ready to buy one!

Alright, let's here your thoughts!...hell.....let's make this a simple poll too!
I think he has more money/credit than he knows what to do with. 'Sounds like he needs a used DR250SE or KLX250S or something easy to toss around, so he can rack up a bunch more dirt experience without costly damage or injuries. I'd even suggest a dirt course, and some other rider education. Youtube videos and DVDs are good, as are instructional books.

He could ride the big twin on pavement while he gets used to tossing a small bike around in the dirt, but the dirt experience on a light bike could really pay off for his skill development.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
helotaxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
The good news is that if he pulls the trigger, you should be able to pick up a very lightly used 950 in a couple of months for cheap, only dropped once.

If he's that timid on pavement, he's not even close to ready.
helotaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:06 AM   #5
OrangeYZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Buy a KTM? Voted Yes.

Is there anything in the original post I should read or can I move on to the next thread?
OrangeYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
He should buy whatever makes him happy so he can have fun while learning to ride - instead of waiting with the fun until he finished learning, what never will happen for any of us.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,859
WR250R. Ride it until he's comfortable.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #8
Xtremjeepn OP
Motorhead!

Laugh

FWIW,

No one is trying to get in his way of having fun. I think anyone that thinks a 950 is more fun on Colorado single track than a smaller bike is either insanely skilled or doesn't have any real experience themselves.

His skills have progressed very well over the last 6 months. My personal opinion is that jumping to a big bike when he obviously hasn't mastered the one he is on now is just going to slow his progress, make it less fun and potentially get him hurt.

I also don't think he totally gets that he could become way faster on the smaller bike!

FOR SALE 02 F650GS DAKAR
Old 10-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,111
If he wants to buy a 950, what can we say? Go for it, live (or end) your life the way you want.

You ask if it's a good idea per your description? Obviously not and you know it already so why asking?

SgtDuster screwed with this post 10-08-2013 at 01:37 PM
SgtDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #10
michael2wheels
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Why would he get a larger bike to ride in the dirt when he doesn't yet have the skills to ride the one he has.

He should work on his skills and getting more miles. And maybe get something smaller bike to practice on, if he is afraid of the one he has now!
michael2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #11
LittleRedToyota
Yinzer

Oddometer: 2,232
i think this is a trick question.

the 950 is not a dirt bike.

it's an adventure bike.

as others have mentioned. if he want to ride dirt, he should get a dirt bike (i.e., something that weighs less than 300lbs...and something not too powerful to start) to learn how.
LittleRedToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #12
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,590
+1

I can't imagine having any kind of fun on the 950 without years of dirt biking on 400s and 250s to learn the subtle skills necessary.

These skills would be impossible to explore, much less become competent at on the 950.

As a 950 owner, I voted NO on this poll. The 950 would be something to aspire to once the skills have been mastered on a bike that you can make mistakes on without damaging it or the rider as easily.

He seems to think that horsepower will make up for the hours of learning necessary to do the things he wants to do. You cannot buy experience.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #13
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
I think anyone that thinks a 950 is more fun on Colorado single track than a smaller bike is insanely skilled
Thanks.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #14
podinis
ExPat

Oddometer: 10
My 2 cents !
1st Rule of Riding in / with Groups- go your own pace, don't stray outside your limits ! Once you put the helment on you are on your own - you make decisions and you take the consequences.

Bigger Bike will not increase Skill / Confidence. Learn the Skill, solve the issue at the source and it will transfer with you to bigger or smaller bikes.
podinis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #15
Xtremjeepn OP
Motorhead!

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
You ask if it's a good idea per your description? Obviously not and you know it already so why asking?
I ask so that I can direct him to the thread for additional perspectives other than mine. I don't think it is a question that he will ask on his own on the forum.

I truly want him to get the most out of his riding experience. I think he is well on his way to becoming a good rider.....if he can avoid certain things like jumping to a bigger bike right away. (and one that doesn't really seem in line with what he seems to like about riding. He just likes that its fast and sounds awesome.....which it does)

Being friends, he does ask for advice, but often sees us as peers! In this case, I have a 950.....so as a "peer".....why shouldn't he? Well, the simple answer is that I've been riding for 35 YEARS and HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of miles!!! (I didn't have a liter bike of any kind for the first 15 years either FWIW)

He, like many of us, want to jump right in an play just like our friends do! It's very understandable. He reads the ride reports here and sees all the fun guys on the big KTM are having, sees me on mine, etc.

I think he needs more seat time, more practice, more classes. I think he should ride other bikes to get a feel for them but think that getting caught up in the excitement of having a 9X0 KTM will only slow his progress and potentially hurt him. He hasn't quite figured out how fun/cool/awesome a smaller bike is. I think he sees it as a step down, backwards, etc.

Keep the answers coming guys.

FOR SALE 02 F650GS DAKAR