Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
andrew.b OP
KS_gsRider

Oddometer: 21
rear rack and case options for '01 f650gs ?

I'm a new owner of a 2001 f650gs single spark BMW. It came with the nice, larger size BMW saddle cases but I would like to add a rear rack onto which I can bolt a Pelican case or something similar. What options are out there? It seems like most everything is made for the newer version of the bike.

Are the stock BMW top cases and mounts still made for this bike? I'm assuming they're quite expensive compared to getting a rack + Pelican, if they are even still available.

Thanks!
andrew.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
harcus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.b View Post
I'm a new owner of a 2001 f650gs single spark BMW. It came with the nice, larger size BMW saddle cases but I would like to add a rear rack onto which I can bolt a Pelican case or something similar. What options are out there? It seems like most everything is made for the newer version of the bike.

Are the stock BMW top cases and mounts still made for this bike? I'm assuming they're quite expensive compared to getting a rack + Pelican, if they are even still available.

Thanks!
We have this rack & pannier bracket set available at Globrtrottin.com. Look here... http://shop.globetrottin.com/product...&categoryId=35

A top rack only could be done as a custom order if you like.

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:39 AM   #3
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
I don't think the factory top case requires an extra bracket (I have an '07 so they are a bit different). They are pricey. I use a Shad topcase which came with a quick detach mount included. You may have to source some spacers to make it fit your application. It also interferes with my key access for the seat removal. I rarely do this so it doesn't bother me.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:36 AM   #4
andrew.b OP
KS_gsRider

Oddometer: 21
Thanks Harcus, but I would like to keep my current bmw side cases and brackets. I guess I'm really just looking for any type of small, flat rear rack that might work on the bike onto which I could mount things of my choosing. The rear 'rack' that's on it stock is not very good for mounting anything onto.

Ditch - I do like the Shad cases and they do seem to make a mounting bracket that looks like it will work with the BMW side cases. I might end up going this route. Thanks for the tip!
andrew.b is offline   Reply With Quote