Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
kerncountykid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
When Were You Young? - 3 Years Through America On A Vintage Motorbike

When Were You Young?

I may find these words spat in my face by a cynical teenager in a future that draws nearer; "yeah right, when were you young?" I made this short movie to prove beyond doubt I once was. While old friends empty themselves into mortgages and chlorinated backyard swimming pools, I have held tightly to the selfish pursuit of adventure and inward discovery, mostly on wild back roads, cutting deep switchbacks through the american west. I've slept on strangers couches, built and wrecked motorcycles, played loud music in crowded bars, drunkenly vomited on the streets of Hollywood, swam naked in mountain lakes and prayed with nuns in desert monasteries. As time sweeps past and vanishes behind me, an assimilated, impotent adulthood heaves itself through the ephemeral mist of youth, my restlessness pounded away by the vicissitudes and tides of everyday life. Someday even I may not believe my horizions were once so limitless. It's a mystery to me now what these images might mean to me then.

If you've read my first trip report I apologize, this video contains footage and photo's from 3 subsequent trips I made cross country and never wrote about, including a 6 week, 12k mile journey. All of it was done on a 1974 Honda CB550.

kerncountykid screwed with this post 01-05-2012 at 08:16 PM
kerncountykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
thumper447
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
!Long live the Honda CB550!
thumper447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Thumb

Well done vid. Doesn't look like you are letting life pass you by...
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,008
Pretty cool video...
Old 01-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
rich_e
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Very cool.

At first I was depressed while watching it. Thinking I'm never going to get to do what I want, that I wasted my life by not living it - just existing and getting by. However, I'm sure I did a lot stuff like that, 20, 30 years ago but didn't think to document it. I watched the video again and it must have sparked up some brain cells where those images of my youth were stored. I feel better. I remember exploring the fire roads on my DT175 in Oregon. I remember cruising downtown San Diego on my R5C. I remember squeezing between 18 wheelers on my CB750 on the 710 freeway in San Pedro. I remember ...
rich_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
kerncountykid OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_e View Post
Very cool.

At first I was depressed while watching it. Thinking I'm never going to get to do what I want, that I wasted my life by not living it - just existing and getting by. However, I'm sure I did a lot stuff like that, 20, 30 years ago but didn't think to document it. I watched the video again and it must have sparked up some brain cells where those images of my youth were stored. I feel better. I remember exploring the fire roads on my DT175 in Oregon. I remember cruising downtown San Diego on my R5C. I remember squeezing between 18 wheelers on my CB750 on the 710 freeway in San Pedro. I remember ...
I've had the benefit of quick and easy digital photography and friends to document things when they were there. I'm not the first, just one of the few with the means and patience to document all the little adventures everyone has.
kerncountykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
Howler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Thanks for posting that video, I really enjoyed it! I love Adventure Rider, every time I think I am the only crazy person that likes to do stuff like this I come here and find like minded people.
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #8
John Nash
Bluenoser

Oddometer: 160
Thanks for the short movie

I grew up in Nova Scotia. My first bike was a 1973 Honda 350/4. Then a 1974 2 stroke Yamaha RD350. Then a 1975 Kawasaki 900 @ 17 years of age (lucky I'm still alive) In 1977 I bought CB750 Honda and rode it all the way to Key West, 2400 miles, in July with a buddy of mine, stopping to visit my retired Grandparents in Boynton Beach Fl.I have had great MC trips every year since through Canada, USA & Europe.

Watching your movie sure makes me think of what a great life I have had travelling on my motorbikes. I have met some of the nicest people while touring around, Also I have MC friends all over the world who I would have never met, had I been in a car.As I get older I wish the time would slow down abit,its passing way too quickly as I get ready to celebrate my 54th Bday in a couple weeks.I have a dear friend who turned 80 years young last June and is still logging more miles/smiles than most of us.I think the MC keeps him young.He says all the feelings of ageing disappear when he takes his feet off the ground and is moving down the road to wherever.

I thank you for taking the time to make this movie of your life and sharing it with us.Your family will treasure this also.I am going to watch it again.
John Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:12 AM   #9
SR1
Back in S. Korea

Oddometer: 4,398
Thank you for posting that. It's the kind of thing that speaks to anyone who watches.

It makes me want to start creating a record of my own existence in the same way. Thanks again.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:08 AM   #10
CB160
another old fart....

Oddometer: 80
Thanks for sharing. Very Nice Job!
Keep Riding and Recording.....
CB160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:25 AM   #11
rednax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
rednax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:06 AM   #12
hatschky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Thanks for this video.

It just makes me speechless.

remembers me to the times 25 years ago.

Fantastic

Please tell me from them the music is in the vid.
hatschky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:27 AM   #13
bentrims

Oddometer: n/a
Great, love it!! At the very end of the video, where your going down the tree lined road, made me lift my hands in in the air as if I was taking my hands off the bars. I was there for a moment. Thanks.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:47 AM   #14
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,453
Great clip on your travels. Thanks for sharing and really did enjoy your trip report.

A '00 KLR 650 40,000 miles, A '07 1250S 74,000 , A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 78,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:09 AM   #15
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 928
Wow. Great video, made my old hide laugh and cry at the same time. Many years and so many adventures came back to the front of my Swiss cheese brain. Thanks.
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote