Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #31
Haroon
RIDE for PASSION

Oddometer: 538
Wonderful trip. The adventure only seems to be getting better with every passing kilometer.

Ride safe and I am tuned in.

Exploring the world on 2-wheels...little at a time
RIDE for PASSION

www.rideforpassion.com

Haroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #32
streetracer
oldtimer

Oddometer: 4
So awesome. It's in my bucket list and I sure can use these valuable info.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #33
romafras OP
world traveler

Oddometer: 177
This has been so far a truly magical journey for Matteo and myself. We are both keen in learning about new cultures and having the same passion about adventure and traveling on motorcycles. All this made two perfect strangers such as us to be able to accomplish a non-easy journey through many different countries. I met Matteo just last year in Turkey, and stayed together for only a couple of days before this trip. We have gone trough some dangerous and difficult times on this journey and all this made us a great strong team, but most of all we became great friends. We trusted one another with all we had. We have learned a lot from each another and we strongly believed that destiny made a huge part in all of this. This is the end of our 1st segment of our trip around the world. In a few month we will be back in Mongolia to continue our trip toward Japan. So far we crossed countries such as: Italy,Greece,Turkey,Georgia,Azerbaijan,Turkmenista n,Uzbekistan,Kazakhstan,Russia and Mongolia.

romafras screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 10:01 PM
romafras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #34
romafras OP
world traveler

To our motorcycles

A special thanks goes to our beloved motorcycles that are now resting for a few months in the basement of OASIS Caffee & guesthouse in Ulaanbataar (UB). This is a beautiful place to stay that offers a kind and warm welcoming for travelers on this part of the world. Rest is a must for our bikes after having traveled through difficult terrains. They transported us safely toward UB. Matteo was riding a 1985 Honda Dominator and I was on a newer 2008 KTM Adventure. Both bikes were outstanding, but due to the age, I have to give it to the Honda . In Japan we were invited by Honda headquarters because of this but that I will discuss later on our RR.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #35
romafras OP
world traveler

After a few month of hibernation we are ready to continue our journey toward Japan. We arrive in Ulanbataar and go directly to the Oasis guesthouse, where we left our bikes a few month prior. What a start this is been. I should say:

"What a shitty start"

Matteo has lost his luggage with all his belongings and I was prepared to share my only two underwear I own. In a very bad mood we finally arrive to our location where we left our motorcycles. We were extremely happy and anxious to see them and ear their voices, but....... Surprise Surprise.... No voice to be heard. You should have seen our faces.

All our planning is in jeopardy. Two options for us. Give up or try to fix the problems even if our mechanical knowledge is limited and here in Mongolia even finding a spur plug is almost impossible.

Of course we choose the second one and started working on the motorcycles right away. We worked non stop for 2 full days and are ready to go. It turned out that we both had fuel pump issues.

To feel again more in tunes with the local culture we found this charming place to sleep at night and rest before entering Siberia tomorrow.

Coffee brake

SIBERIA HERE WE COME

romafras screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 06:37 PM
Old 02-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #36
romafras OP
world traveler

Our intended route

Here we are my friends. Matteo and myself are ready to go and can’t wait to prepare all necessary things such as Visas for the second segment of our trip around the world. This time the journey will take us across Siberia all the way to Japan. SIBERIA ??? Yes Siberia it is. Are we nervous ? Absolutely. Siberia can be very rough but at the same time very interesting. Our bikes are safely stored in a basement of a B&B in Ulanbataar. I need a new front tire as my old one is almost square due to the terrible roads we encounter in Kazakhstan and Mongolia. During our travel we will try to visit the dramatic experience many political prisoners endured in the 1900′s.

In 1754 the Russian government decided to send petty criminals and political opponents to eastern Siberia. Sentenced to hard labour (katorga), the convicts had to travel mostly on foot and the journey could take up to three years and it is estimated about half died before they reached their destination.

Over the next 130 years around 1.2 million prisoners were deported to Siberia. Some prisoners helped to build the Trans-Siberian Railway. Others worked in the silver and lead mines of the Nertchinsk district, the saltworks of Usolie and the gold mines of Kara.

Prisoners at a trial

The Trans siberian railway

Those convicts who did not work hard enough were flogged to death. Other punishments included being chained up in an underground black hole and having a 48lb beam of wood attached to a prisoner's chains for several years. Once a sentence had been completed, convicts had their chains removed. However, they were forced to continue living and working in Siberia.

Matteo and myself will depart Ulaanbataar and head north to Ulan-Ude.We will then follow part of the Trans Siberian Railway to Chita and then all the way to the Pacific Ocean toward the island of Sakhalin. From Sakhalin we will embark on a ferry to Japan. Wow....It is easier said than done !

The roads in Siberia are pretty bad. Roomers suggest that there has been great improvements in the past 10 years so we will go with a good level of optimism. We sure hope so because judging from these pictures taken from the internet is not the case.

Oh Dear!!!!

Road to Vanino
Old 02-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #37
romafras OP
world traveler

We still can’t believe the luck of having met Thyerri and Alvaro in Ulan Bataar. Thanks to their knowledge of fixing our bikes we were able to leave this morning heading toward the Russian border. Thierry decides to change his plans to go to Vladivostok and come with us to Japan. Matteo and myself can’t ask for any one better to come with us across Siberia. Siberia is a hard place to be and the more we are the safer it will be. The three of us leave Ulaanbataar at around noon after having settle the bill with Sybille at the OASIS caffe & guesthouse. The trip out of Mongolia is pretty easy because the road is paved and the scenery is not what we experienced last year. Many people arrive to Mongolia from the north and leave from the same routes. If you plan to visit Mongolia make sure you enter from the western border of Tashanta and make your way to the Capital city of Ulaanbataar. If you just do the north part in and out you have not been to this magic place. Anyway, we arrive to the border with no complication and go through custom in a relative smooth way. Decompressing from all the stress caused the day before we decide to find a cheap place in the little border village of Kyakhta. Total cost for a room for the three of us was 1500 Rubles. At this little hotel we meet a German guy that is doing basically the same route as we are. The only difference is that he is doing it on a bicycle. His name is Stephen Herb and I understand this is not his first trip of this kind. Its hard enough doing what we are doing on a motorcycle but I can’t imagine doing this on a bicycle. Good luck Stephen, have a great journey.

Stephen Harp, Matteo and Thierry having breakfast

Entering Siberia

Typical village houses

romafras screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 10:25 PM
Old 02-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #38
Saso
chronically restless

Oddometer: 860
What an amazing trip! Looking forward to each installment. Thanks for sharing it.
Saso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #39
Mr Pif
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
looking forward to see pictures from Japan.
keep on posting
Mr Pif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #40
romafras OP
world traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saso View Post
What an amazing trip! Looking forward to each installment. Thanks for sharing it.
Thank you for your comment. I will try to post as much as I can soon.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #41
romafras OP
world traveler

Up at approximately 9.00AM and after an healthy breakfast made of uneatable sausages we load our bikes with our gear and head toward the city of Ulan-Ude. The plan is to go to Lake Baikal and camp on its shore. The day is overcast and of course after just a couple of hours of riding a big storm is on top of us. With our raining gear we go visit a Buddhist Monastery in Ivolginsky Quite interesting but the heavy rain and still many kilometers to go don’t allow us to stay very long. We arrive at Lake Baikal in the evening before sunset just in time to prepare our tents for the night. Our fist encounter of the evening is two couples that offer us some vodka and smoked fish. Very nice people to be with even if we did not understand each other at all due to language barrier. At around midnight after we made our dinner on the camping stove and ready to go to sleep a couple of guys approach us stating they were in the Russian Army and celebrating their graduation. The Vodka in their system was unreal. The situation is not a pleasant one and we feel that troubles are just around the corner. It takes nothing and we could have been is serious troubles. They ask aggressively our passports. Of course we pretended not to understand what they were saying. Never give your documents in this part of the world. The best think to do for us is to play cool considering the body mass they had. After a few minutes I feel there is no time left and my intuition tells me I have to find a quick solution out of this unpleasant situation. I decide to take Matteo and walk quickly about 300 meters to the people we met earlier and ask them to speak to these individuals. Quite a scary night I must say. It turns out that a full “battalion” was not that far from us celebrating a graduation of some sort and the situation could have escalated rapidly. Thank God it did not happened but the following morning we all agreed that we are in Siberia and have to be extra careful. We did not sleep all night. On a good note Lake Baykal is amazingly beautiful.

Camping on the shore of Lake Baykal

romafras screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 06:38 PM
Old 02-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #42
romafras OP
world traveler

Extremely tire and frustrated we pack all our belongings from the camping site and drive toward Ulan Ude on road number M58. It is certain that tonight we will look for better accommodation after the not so good experience of last night. On our way east we stop for a quick visit to an old village called Tarbagatay. In this region many villages were built by what we know “old believers”. These villages are characterized for their houses being classical Siberian houses painted with bright colors and showing characters in relation to nature. We continue our route for many kilometers before we decide to stop for a coffee break. We arrived in a shed by the road, which was supposed to be a place to have a coffee, when we were surrounded by at least 150 people. A wedding ceremony was taking place. I never saw such a young couple. They must have been 16 years old. All of a sudden it was as if we were the attraction of the day for them. They started to invite us for vodka and smoked fish delicatessen. They would not let us go and were in disbelieve by the fact that we arrived from Italy on our motorcycles. They were very kind and suggested a place for us to spend the night. Too bad there was still 250 kilometers to go but with the experience of the night before we decide to push and try to make it. The place for the night that was suggested to us was an old family colony facility where during the soviet era the families were spending their holidays paid by the régime. It is in total abandonment but still in use by many families. It was for us a true experience of how life would have been back only 25 years ago. Upon our arrival a nice family with a child cooked for us some dinner as we were late and had no food with us. Thank you very much to Olga and Vladimir for their great pasta.

Old believers township.

Old believers home

Delicatessen and of course a bit of Russian Vodka for the road.

Youngest bride and groom I have ever seen.

Olga and Vladimir with their son.

Our accommodation

This was a renovated room

romafras screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 01:33 PM
Old 02-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #43
romafras OP
world traveler

Does any of you know how I can change the title of my thread ??? I am really doing a round the world trip and I don't know if after Japan I should open another thread as I am now in Canada and getting ready to ride to central and south America. I would like to keep the same thread all the way. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #44
AlpineGuerrilla
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by romafras View Post
Does any of you know how I can change the title of my thread ??? I am really doing a round the world trip and I don't know if after Japan I should open another thread as I am now in Canada and getting ready to ride to central and south America. I would like to keep the same thread all the way. Thanks.
You don't have the permission to change the title once there is at least one reply. Write a PM to GB and explain your issue, usually he will change it for you.

Just to let you know, I really enjoy your report and the pictures.
AlpineGuerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #45
Hevy Kevy
ADDRider

Oddometer: 168
Fantastic guys, greetings from Canada!
Hevy Kevy is offline   Reply With Quote