RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #257
h2o_snow
Water, snow & dirt too.

Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uller View Post
Great news Jenny. Looking forward to following your progress during the Dakar.

Huge congrats to John at Rally Raid too for successfully achieving approval for the LC4-50 project to run.
Been following - very interested in the potential. How is your time frame - can you pull off prototypes, production and testing in 6 months prior to shipping?

Thanks for the updates & good luck w/the race - we will be watching!
Over the hills where the spirits fly,
I really don't know.
h2o_snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:20 AM   #258
cowchaser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Great news guys. Great project and ill be watching. I managed to realise my Dakar dream this year even getting a stage win on my quad. I've moved back to two wheels now and am building a 690 for the Australasian safari.
cowchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:39 AM   #259
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowchaser View Post
Great news guys. Great project and ill be watching. I managed to realise my Dakar dream this year even getting a stage win on my quad. I've moved back to two wheels now and am building a 690 for the Australasian safari.
Sweet!!

The E-ATV guys make a nice 690 based quad too if you fancy going back to 4 wheels .

Been in touch with them?
Old 06-04-2013, 03:57 AM   #260
Mudguts
when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowchaser View Post
Hmmm interesting .....whatcha gunna do
Old 06-05-2013, 02:33 AM   #261
ScotchBonnet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Great news! Congratulations!
ScotchBonnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #262
Johnnyktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Congratulations, and I will follow closely the evolution of the new bike!!
Johnnyktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:32 AM   #263
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Any plans for a shakedown race ? ETA on when the engine will be ready for testing?

Vroom vroom
My plan is to enter the Serres Rally at the end of August - that really is the only opportunity I have got to test the bike in a competitive environment before it's too late to make any changes... all being well, the team will also attend the Rally Maroc in October, but typically, nothing is set in stone just yet...

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:41 AM   #264
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmar13 View Post
Instead of destroking the ktm 690 to get reliable 450cc legal rally steed... Wouldn't it be easier/cheaper to just stroke a DRZ?

Just kidding... Sort of.
Hi Wilmar - I'm sure if you've been reading this thread form the beginning you'll know the motivation behind this LC4-50 project over any other option - but as a quick recap:

1. Fundamentally, it is Rally Raid UK that have offered me a bike to ride next January, and their priority machine is very much the KTM 690 - they have spent a number of years refining the modifications (tanks, rally fairing, suspension) to make this a competitive and reliable rally bike, and it that machine they want to see in the Dakar, if only for commercial reasons...

2. A DRZ is a great strong and reliably dual-sport machine, but would need a lot of modifications [and one-off/custom ones at that] to make it a suitable race bike... that is not to say that a stock KTM 690 Enduro doesn't also need modifying, but there are a lot more products already developed, proven and commercially available (not least from Rally Raid themselves) to make that a far easier process...

3. Don't forget I already have my own Dakar-prepared Yamaha WR450, so in an ideal world, I'd be using that of course! - however, to finance my return to the Dakar, I have to sell that bike - my own personal return hinges on the support from Rally Raid UK.

Jx
Old 06-09-2013, 06:46 AM   #265
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2o_snow View Post
Been following - very interested in the potential. How is your time frame - can you pull off prototypes, production and testing in 6 months prior to shipping?

Thanks for the updates & good luck w/the race - we will be watching!
Thank you for the support, and indeed - time is very much running out now... not so much with the bike itself (John & Martin are confident they will have a running prototype soon, and then we can consider how and where we are going to thoroughly test it prior to Dakar shipping in November), rather to make this project work, we need to build two bikes, and have a second rider enter as part of the Rally Raid/KTM Twins team.

That rider is going to have to get their entry in before the 7th July cut-off date, and of course fulfill the ASO criteria for entry if they are to be accepted.

I have the utmost faith in John and Rally Raid to product a strong and reliable racebike, and to back up the team with service and assistance during the Dakar 2014.

Finding another rider in a similar position who is willing to send in their 6000 deposit to ASO 'on a promise' is another matter... I just hope my commitment is enough to convince them.

Jx
Old 06-09-2013, 07:07 AM   #266
ecarnell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
Any update on the swag front? I'm sure there are lots of Inmates ready to support.
Please keep the updates coming!
2012 Dacre Challenge -Team Explore the Bruce - 8th (i.e last) Place. 17:59
ecarnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #267
RoverDan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Another State Side Fan

J,

Congrats on ALL of your accomplishments! I was using your website and storyline to inspire one of my daughters to pursue riding, and help her understand her dad's love of adv riding.

Take care, and I wish you and your team the best! I will do what I can to support.

Cheers,
Dan
Harbinger Of Fate: In the roads we travel, our destination is always a tiny speck on the horizon where it meets the greeting dawn. Many of the roads we travel down a harbinger of fate waits for us there to change our destiny from the one we have chosen... - David Harris
RoverDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #268
Pyndon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,442
!!

Jenny,

Great news on the bike front, so pleased the decision went your way, now keep the cogs turning, a lot to do before the bikes go to LeHavre in 5 months time.

Just to be clear, when you refer to Rally Raid UK, you are actually refering to Rally Raid Products (www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk). Just don't want anyone getting confused as Rally Raid UK (www.rallyraid.co.uk) are also planning to take two bikes to the Dakar for 2014.

Hope to see some swag soon......I need a new pair of sunglasses!

Lyndon
My Dakar Rally Experience
and blog www.LyndonPoskittRacing.com
My KTM 950 Story
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:04 PM   #269
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon View Post
Hope to see some swag soon......I need a new pair of sunglasses!
Scratched mine the day I got them
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:10 AM   #270
JMo (& piglet) OP
Dakar Dazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon View Post
Just to be clear, when you refer to Rally Raid UK, you are actually refering to Rally Raid Products (www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk). Just don't want anyone getting confused as Rally Raid UK (www.rallyraid.co.uk) are also planning to take two bikes to the Dakar for 2014.
Thanks for clarifying Pyn - a very good point! - I wouldn't want my shorthand to cause confusion...

As you say, there is still a hell of a lot to get together in an ever shortening space of time...

As soon as we have the team/bikes confirmed, then we can go full-speed ahead with sorting the 2014 swag...

Jx