Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,960
Ontario to lose thousands of km's of trails?

This was brought to my attention

Very real potential here to lose access to thousands of km's of trails in Ontario

Not sure who we should be calling or emailing to freak out on...

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Are you talking about the same issue the sled clubs were facing, the power line corridors?
Old 12-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,071
Old 12-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
huron52
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
Are you talking about the same issue the sled clubs were facing, the power line corridors?
The question period clip was just talking about snowmoblie clubs and cost but Deadly is correct... it will close trails to a lot of off road machines(dirt bikes, ATV's UTV's maybe even bicyles and say horses)
huron52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
ok my 1991 flashplayer doesnt show the video

http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/...-use-proposal/
Old 12-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
toddiscdn
Take off, EH!

Oddometer: 1,006
Its been going around the sled world for a while now, so I,ll give you my very basic understanding from my OFSC volunteer view.

- This was a piece of legislation someone dug up from 2011 to kick the hornets nest.
- Its my understanding that this does not affect every hydro corridor, many are crown land or leased to hydro by the Ontario Realtors corp, I guess that's Ont. owned land?? only directly hydro owned ones.......I think. So from what Ive heard its pretty limited area

Anyway, this is the latest that we have heard-

Complaints from snowmobile clubs has forced the provincial government to reconsider a controversial policy.
Transportation Minister Glenn Murray confirms a decision to charge snowmobile clubs for use of hydro right-of-ways is under review.
Murray says the policy was put in place because of liability concerns raised by the Ministries of Infrastructure and Energy.
He says he heard concerns from several user groups and notes this was an old piece of legislation.

Not sure where they get the liability thing as the OFSC carries insurance on all property it crosses under it user agreement

Cheers, Todd
toddiscdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
dryden_rider_54
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,772
The Ontario liberal government will not be happy until they have screwed everyone out of any decent life in this province and we are all working for minimum wage. High hydro rates chasing business out of town. (the entire forest industry, half the auto industry and now Heinz and Kelloggs) and introducing crazy legislation like this that has absolutely no reasonable foundation.

The worst part is that there is not a reasonable alternative.

dryden_rider_54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,743
The Liberals are trying out the Manitoba NDP play book.
Sorry not trying to derail the thread.
The chatter here is to close the Sandilands Forest to off roading, so there will not be forest fires caused due to hot exhaust and cigarette butts!!!
Old 12-16-2013, 06:39 AM   #9
Pay Dirt
panning the web

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddiscdn View Post
Its been going around the sled world for a while now, so I,ll give you my very basic understanding from my OFSC volunteer view.

- Its my understanding that this does not affect every hydro corridor, many are crown land or leased to hydro by the Ontario Realtors corp, I guess that's Ont. owned land?? only directly hydro owned ones.......I think. So from what Ive heard its pretty limited area

Cheers, Todd
FWIIW; Ontario Realty Corporation- put simply this is an Ontario Crown Corporation which owns nothing and was created to manage Ontario Crown owned or leased or garnered by easement properties be it office towers in Toronto, vacant highway ROW's or Hydro One/OPG lands. Many "Hydro"corridors are easements placed on title of private lands which in turn can have almost the same control as owned lands.
What a rats nest these politicians are hoisting upon us all, once again!!
IMHO....

PD
Pay Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
dschris
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post

Very real potential here to lose access to thousands of km's of trails in Ontario

Not sure who we should be calling or emailing to freak out on...
I would be surprised if this is not already on their radar, however this is exactly the sort of thing that the OFTR handles on behalf of Ontario trail riders.

I will email them this thread just to see if they are aware (I am a member).

--
Follow-up:

I just got a reply from the Ontario Federation of Trail Riders. The OFTR is aware of the issue, along with the areas that will be impacted. There is a meeting scheduled with the OFSC on Jan 9th to discuss. Should any action items come out of this meeting I will share as I become aware of them.

In the mean time, I would humbly recommend that if you ride a motorcycle on trails in Ontario, that you consider joining the OFTR - they do a lot of un-publicized work to keep trails open. Check out the web site, they do a better job of convincing than I could possibly do: https://oftr.ca/index.php

dschris screwed with this post 12-17-2013 at 04:17 PM Reason: New info provided
dschris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:19 AM   #11
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,878
Ontario!

You need the Conservatives in there. Liberals are tax and waste job killer governments. Provinces with Conservative governments are doing well. Liberal government provinces are all have not provinces. McGinty has dragged you into the gutter with his so called green bs policies and Wynn is useless. Look at Trudeau"s policies. His biggest platform is legalizing pot. What a winner! Keep on voting liberal, Ontario.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #12
StepOnIt
Assitoner

Oddometer: 958
Laugh Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
You need the Conservatives in there. Liberals are tax and waste job killer governments. Provinces with Conservative governments are doing well. Liberal government provinces are all have not provinces. McGinty has dragged you into the gutter with his so called green bs policies and Wynn is useless. Look at Trudeau"s policies. His biggest platform is legalizing pot. What a winner! Keep on voting liberal, Ontario.
Maybe they will free up all that land for pot growing when they legalize it, move it indoor grow ops. Or all the extra tax dollars from pot smoking might help more trail development because the surplus from taxing pot.
If not we will all be too stoned to give a fawk what's going on here lol.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin
StepOnIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #13
hewhohesit8s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
We've had conservatives and I fear we will again at some point. But I suspect even our conservatives wouldn't allow the rape and pillage of the environment that you western folks appear to relish. If I really cared about my hydro bill, I'd turn down the hot tub or do dry my laundry during low demand times. A few cents per KwHr is a small price to pay to prevent more damage to our environment. That doesn't make me a tree hugger. Just a pragmatist with kids who wants them to inherit a livable planet.
'10 KTM 530EXC
'04 HD 1200C
hewhohesit8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #14
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,960
Sadly Ontario doesn't get to vote. The majority ridings are in the greater Toronto area so what the rest of Ontario votes doesn't really count. Messed up system for sure.

Frank

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #15
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by hewhohesit8s View Post
We've had conservatives and I fear we will again at some point. But I suspect even our conservatives wouldn't allow the rape and pillage of the environment that you western folks appear to relish. If I really cared about my hydro bill, I'd turn down the hot tub or do dry my laundry during low demand times. A few cents per KwHr is a small price to pay to prevent more damage to our environment. That doesn't make me a tree hugger. Just a pragmatist with kids who wants them to inherit a livable planet.
Keep on believing that. That's why Ontario has a greater debt than Kalifornia. Come to Alberta. You'll never go back to Ontario.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote