Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2014, 04:44 PM   #1
robstarr OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Puke Is it my battery or my alternator (or something else)?

Hi all,

I just purchased a Honda CT110 second hand (postie bike).

It's an oldy and the guy I bought it off said it had a new battery put it. All good.

I then ride it for a week or so and noticed last night the lights didn't auto come on as they do. Strange. A Blown bulb I thought. So I switched to high beam and it worked, got me to my destination.

On the way though, I noticed each time I braked my lights nearly shut down / off. Freaked me out a bit.

I then noticed on a good long part of the run that I switched to low beam and the low beam came back on! I then braked and the lights turned completely off. OUCH!

So, back to high beam and finally made it home.

What's the verdict doc? Alternator? I'm VERY new at all this, so please be easy on me. :-)

Thanks so much,

Rob
robstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:17 PM   #2
Midnightventure
-

Oddometer: 734
Sounds like it might have multiple problems but I would start with a voltmeter and check to see if the battery is putting out more than 12v with the engine off.
Then start the bike and see if it is putting out about 13.5 or more when running about 2000 rpm. If the voltage doesn't go up then the charging system has a problem and needs to be diagnosed. Stator,regulator,wiring connections. If the battery is way low on the first voltage test then it needs to be charged before doing the running test.
Midnightventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:58 PM   #3
ChuckS
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 639
Also check to make sure your battery terminal connections are clean & tight. Ground wire connection good, etc.

1993 K1100LT w/Ural hack
DL650 K4
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:00 PM   #4
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,657
It's the battery.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:05 AM   #5
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,519
Isn't the rectifier hiding behind the battery on them? Check the connections, nasty what we found recently on one that hadn't run for years, a CT90 but I think the same systems.

Runs OK now but yes it does need a battery, dead and somewhat sucking all the juice from the charging system.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:36 AM   #6
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,504
I seeme to recall this was a known issue. Something about the headlight and frying the rectifier? Can't recall where I saw that

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:13 AM   #7
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,571
need to know what year I think. didn't some of these have AC headlights? if so, they are not part of the battery system.
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:47 PM   #8
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,683
how old of a bike?

if there are brushes in the charging system they could be worn....with the battery not charging it will run off the battery until it's done
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:10 PM   #9
robstarr OP
Adventurer

Hi all and thanks so much for all the great feedback.

It's a 1994 model, she's pretty old and I've since done some research and as Beezer says the bike's lights don't run off the battery but off the motor (or so I've been told).

What's great is the place I bought it off immediately said to bring it in at no cost when I gave them a call, so for now, it looks like all will be good.

I'll post back here though to give some feedback for anyone in the future that has the same issue.

To everyone that replied, again, thanks. It's given me many tips for the future when I'm going it alone.

All the best,

:-)

Rob
Old 02-10-2014, 07:00 PM   #10
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
The charging system and battery are easy to check. But you will need some information first. You need to start the engine, and check the idle voltage with a voltmeter. It will likely be 12V or less. Then rev the engine up to around 3000 rpm, and the reading should go up to about 14 volts (it varies by bike, that's why you need the numbers from the manual) I have seen some pretty strange configurations on old bikes (and old design bikes) some have a specific lighting coil on the stator that is separate from the charging system. Some also have a separate ignition coil on the stator (not the coil that the spark plug wire goes to) and will only run off that coil, and not the battery. My Puch moped is like that, and so is my Stella. The Stella has a battery, but it was only for the electric starter. Since I removed the starter, the battery is pretty much worthless. I keep it to run electrical things off of, like my compressor if I need to inflate a flat tire.

The problem could be anywhere in the electrical system. The light sockets, switch, loss of ground, a bad connection somewhere. I don't know if an Australian bike would have a sidestand safety switch, I thought only American bikes had those silly things.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:44 PM   #11
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,770
rectifier I ve read is crappy. I remember something about people using a rectifier from radio shack to replace it. From parts in usa it's http://www.dratv.com/ . Email him since he is the expert on them plus it's the place to get the replacement parts. Also this website for more info including the manual http://ct90-ct110.com/Shop-Manuals.html
Old 03-06-2014, 05:28 PM   #12
robstarr OP
Adventurer

Get this. It had 6 volt lights in it rather than 12 volt. They changed the globes. Bike I'd fine. How's that for simple.

---
Straight razors, badger and boar brushes, real soaps, good tobacco, quality pipes & the simple, good thing in life. :-)