Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 03:23 AM   #1
nikoktm OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
shipping a ktm adv from Brisbane to Brazil or Colombia

Hello,

I'm planning to send my bike to either Brazil or Chile on 2014 for the soccer world cup. The idea is send the bike to Brazil directly and as soon the world cup finished, ride to Colombia or from Colombia, ride down to Brazil.
Also I will need to ship the bike back to Brisbane. In terms of money, I been saving for two years now just for shipping the bike; the flying tikets for my family and myself, hotels and games tickets are already cover.
If anyone on this forum do something similar on the past or have some relevant information will be truly appreciated
nikoktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:21 AM   #2
dirkdiggler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
We recently shipped bikes from uk to Buenos Aries. I know it's not where your heading but just to let you know it was extremely expensive. We shipped via sea freight and it's some thing i would never do again. The cost's for shipping and customs and port charges where in excess of 2000 for each bike and that was just one way! I ended up selling my bike in Punta Arenas (chile) as it was not worth the cost or hassle to get it home. Air freight may seem expensive when you first get quotes but there will be lots more to pay on top of your initial sea freight quote by the time you roll out of the docks. Good luck.
dirkdiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
nikoktm OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Thank you dirkdiggler fr the info.

I'm waiting for a few quotes. My plan is to use air freight to go there and send it back via sae freight to Australia.
nikoktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
dirkdiggler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoktm View Post
Thank you dirkdiggler fr the info.

I'm waiting for a few quotes. My plan is to use air freight to go there and send it back via sae freight to Australia.
Your welcome, a lot of our extra costs were paying for storage in the bonded warehouse. It was well over $1000 for about 8 days of storage. When we first had our quote we were told 7 days free storage but what they failed to say was go over the 7 days then none of it's free. We had a customs agent who helped us and we had the bikes out of the port in just over a day. I still wonder now if we had turned up say on our 4th day of "free" storage whether we would have got them out in the same time or if the process would have taken much longer!!! There were also fee's for unloading this came in at $700 and another $550 for the customs agent. This was all on top of paying the shipping company in the uk who freighted the bikes over.
dirkdiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
luciosiq
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Hi mate.
I have done a lot of research on the subject.
I would ship the bike to Chile (Valparaiso) e ride to and from Brazil.
It is better to avoid the ports in Brazil - unfortunately too much burocracy.
Let me know if you need any help.
Hope you have fun over here.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,343
+1 to what dirkdiggler is saying. I'll never do ocean freight again. The hidden costs of storage, warehouse handling fees, trucking, etc REALLY add up. By the time you're riding your bike again it's easy to pay double what you were originally quoted. Also, once you factor in the cost of food and accommodation for the extra time it takes, air freight becomes a no-brainer.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
Radioman
Moto rider

Oddometer: 4,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
+1 to what dirkdiggler is saying. I'll never do ocean freight again. The hidden costs of storage, warehouse handling fees, trucking, etc REALLY add up. By the time you're riding your bike again it's easy to pay double what you were originally quoted. Also, once you factor in the cost of food and accommodation for the extra time it takes, air freight becomes a no-brainer.
'

+1 air freight is well set up for handling motos and quickly! Met some KIWI's who shipped home and sea freight cost them more than I paid with air freight

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote