Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2013, 05:41 AM   #16
Avi8tor
ADV Poser

Oddometer: 213
Since you mentioned "super smooth" when talking about your Tiger, mad vibration at highway speeds may be a concern with a big displacement thumper. It doesn't bother everybody though.
Avi8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:56 AM   #17
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,273
I think a dr650 is very heavy in the dirt, and its the lightest of the bunch I think.
Anything over 350 pounds is not going to be much 'fun' on anything but dirt roads.

You have to be a manly man to ride a heavy bike through miles of soft sand, whoops, and mud holes and think its fun. Yes, there are a few sick people that do it, but for most, its not fun for long.

Pick any bike you want if its mostly street and some hard pack dirt roads, just put the right tires on any bike, even road kings and Triumph scramblers.

Big powerful bikes suck more gas, so need bigger gas tanks, lots of weight up high on tall bikes is a real treat in the rough stuff, and hard on the bones when you fall.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:17 AM   #18
mountaincadre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmithy View Post
Since you mentioned "super smooth" when talking about your Tiger, mad vibration at highway speeds may be a concern with a big displacement thumper. It doesn't bother everybody though.
I wear rubber pants(shorts to you yankee imperialists)
mountaincadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:34 AM   #19
NJ-Brett
Brett

I don't know of any modern singles that vibrate much.
If you think they do, maybe wait for the electric bikes?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:29 AM   #20
Ogre_fl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansi View Post
I think I have my choices narrowed down to a Versys 650 twin with 19" front, 64hp and 445lb wet weight or the Husquarna 650 Terra with that dependable Rotax single at 58hp and 405 lbs.
What do you think about these choices?

I am almost in the same boat as you.
I have a non-converted Versys and thinking of doing the 19" conversion.
I also have interest in the 650 Terra/Strada.
The BMW involvement in those bikes are a major turn off for me (I have owned a BMW) along with the short valve service intervals (6000 miles) and somewhat complicated oil changes.

I have owned several thumpers and a few adv type twins.
When I have owned only thumpers I have wanted a twin for travel, when I have owned only a twin I have longed for the off road capabilities of a thumper.
I will say a twin with proper tires decreases that longing some what.

I too understand time limitations and how they effect the bike you want/need.
I like to run up to the GA mountains for a 3 day run and the 400 mile trip up/back I dread on thumpers because I cant always take the "best" route and need to take the fastest.
In the end I think the twins on road qualities outweigh the thumpers off road.

Right now I think the converted Versys is the better & more reliable choice and definitely the less expensive one.

Good luck with your choice.
I am truly interested in what you decide.

Ogre_fl screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 09:36 AM
Ogre_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #21
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansi View Post
Thanks for all the thoughts and good advice! Love the ADV-forum!
It is hard to choose between a poly or single for me that are in my budget. I don't want to have a second bike, one bike will have to do it all - even if that means it will do none of them perfect.
I ride quiet a bit more off the road than my wife, given that I live right in the middle of the best forest and dirtroads Nor-Cal and Southern OR has to offer, just 5 min away from my farm, so a not so chunky thumper would be a better choice than the voluptuous Tiger. Used to just hop on my XT600 after work and ride in the woods to blow off some steam.
We also do quite a bit LD Adventure touring year round. Last February we wanted to go see Death Valley, but because of work only had 5 days to do the 1400 mile RT. So we had to do a fast run down and back to have some time to enjoy DV. The Tiger was nice for the Hwy part, but does one really need 105hp for running just a little above HWY speed?
I'm thinking that I am pretty secure in my manhood to ride a motorcycle with less horsepower.
For this winter we have a trip to Baja planned with just ten days time. Wish I had more time to ride, but I have to work for a living.

I think I have my choices narrowed down to a Versys 650 twin with 19" front, 64hp and 445lb wet weight or the Husqvarna 650 Terra with that dependable Rotax single at 58hp and 405 lbs.
What do you think about these choices?

Would love to own the KTM 690, or the BMW 800GS for that matter, but don't have quite the financial means and I don't like the short service intervals on the Katoom.
You should have a pretty good handle on your choices with the exception of the Terra. You have access to a Versys with a 19" front wheel and a XT600 isn't too far removed from the DR and KLR's horsepower wise. How was it? I adventerised a TDM 850. Rode the local fire roads, SE Ca. sand and the Alpine loop in Colorado. 6" of suspension travel is just not enough.

The world needs a 400lb multi, but I am not holding my breath. The Japanese thumpers will cruise 80mph in Kansas on a calm day. They all need a HP boost and FI sure would be nice at 7,000ft. Suspension mods are a given. They do get tossed a bit in gusty wind. The lighter and taller they are, the worse it gets.

My situation is similar to yours, living next door to 2,500 miles of fire rds in the Stanislaus national forest.

My weapons of choice were a F800gs, that still needed $2,000 in suspension up grades and a KLX 680, a more dirt orientated KLR with a HP boost from the factory. With a big bore and all the other tricks, I am still searching for more HP for the road. Like a proud parent, I like to show it off.

My advice is to go test ride the Terra and decide for yourself. It sounds like a pretty good highway compromise, it is the dirt portion I would like to test. The dyno says it puts 48hp to ground which is what I think is acceptable. The above bike is close, but no cigar......yet.

The China connection? It will keep coming up. BMW and Loncin have long term connection.

To the best of my knowledge, Rotax no longer makes the F650 engines or parts. Loncin had assembled Rotax parts for several years but now manufacture the complete engine starting with the G650 bikes. They have used that engine in their own bikes under license to BMW.

Loncin did not design this engine, it is still based on the Rotax engine. This one has some newly designed parts, so maybe those are made elsewhere. Just like the assembled engines, they are shipped back for final bike assembly.

Loncin is the worlds largest motorcycle engine manufacturer. The plant is huge, modern and highly automated. I would not worry about quality and like it or not it is more common place than most buyers think.

Adv Grifter is correct about cost of one. It only starts with buying it. You will have to consider wind and bike protection.

itsatdm screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 02:11 PM
itsatdm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #22
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
I don't know of any modern singles that vibrate much.
If you think they do, maybe wait for the electric bikes?
Ever ridden a KTM 640E ? ... or an early Husaberg? Those bikes will rattle your fillings out. The DR650 is a Rolls Royce by comparison.

I owned a KTM Duke ll ... which was much smoother than the 640 dual sport and Adventure, but far from smooth. Not sure why the difference. KTM exex. claimed dual pipes on the Duke smoothed out vibes.
The DR and KLR are WAY smoother than all the KTM's.

And if you think a 955i Tiger is smooth ... come ride my Tiger 1050
Next try the Tiger 800.
I've owned a 885 Steamer, 955i girlie and now the 1050 Roadie. The 1050 is leagues ahead ... but sucks off road.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #23
NJ-Brett
Brett

No, but I did think the dr650 was a very smooth bike.
And from what I read, some if not most of the new KTM's are very smooth.

Much different from when bikes did not have the balance setup.

Bit I suspect some riders would think the DR650 is nasty vibration wise...
Spoiled rotten we are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Ever ridden a KTM 640E ? ... or an early Husaberg? Those bikes will rattle your fillings out. The DR650 is a Rolls Royce by comparison.

I owned a KTM Duke ll ... which was much smoother than the 640 dual sport and Adventure, but far from smooth. Not sure why the difference. KTM exex. claimed dual pipes on the Duke smoothed out vibes.
The DR and KLR are WAY smoother than all the KTM's.

And if you think a 955i Tiger is smooth ... come ride my Tiger 1050
Next try the Tiger 800.
I've owned a 885 Steamer, 955i girlie and now the 1050 Roadie. The 1050 is leagues ahead ... but sucks off road.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #24
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,821
I can't see how the Versys is much better than what you have now? Maybe a little lighter?

V-Strom is no trail bike (I proved that with mine, though many / most ride 'em better than me).

A lightly used 690 is about the same or less than a 650 Terra. Either would work. 690 lots better off-road (it is ~70 lbs lighter with higher spec components), probably pretty much equal on-road.

For less money, a low mileage 640 Adventure could be a great choice, as could a DR650, though they won't keep up with Wifey's twin.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #25
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,557
Another pet peeve of mine is the lack of fuel range. KTM and BMW seem to feel the better the mileage the smaller the tank. 150 miles to empty is not enough in some parts of the west.

The 690 fix to that is about $700 and there is not one for the Husky Terra yet. Those fuel tanks under the seat are great until you want to add some. At least the Carb'd bike tanks are relative cheap.

itsatdm screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 05:13 PM
itsatdm is online now   Reply With Quote