User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
grisezd OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Drag Race: Ural vs 650 Single/Velorex?

So not really a drag race, just trying to make sure I'll be happy with whatever setup I decide to do for my first hack this year. I've decided that I don't need this rig to be quick, or comfortable, or pretty, just reasonably reliable and easy to maintain. And I'll not likely make a habit of tons of highway miles, so I don't want or need a Wing hack.

I've just about pulled the trigger on a Ural about 3 times since the end of summer, and each time I realize that I'll have to finance more than I want to to make a recent one happen. There are bikes I'd be able to afford without borrowing, but those are older, passed around, and I just got out of a bad affair with a b1tch of a used Husaburg!

My next favorite idea for a hack is a used 650 single dual sport like the Suzuki or Honda (not a fan of the old KLR's looks) with a light car like a Velorex. I've seen a good number of photos of similar setups and I like them. I figure that with patient shopping I could be rolling for under $4000 and have a fairly trustworthy rig.

My big question is this: Will the 650 have at least the same useable power as the Ural? My max cargo needs will be my 200+ lb butt and about 200 lbs in kids. I'll be on country roads about 80% of the time, so a cruise of 55mph with bursts to 65-70 is all I'll really need.

Thanks for your time.
grisezd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
zipper421
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
first rig

this was my first rig its not super fast but i smile every time i ride it
its for sale now
Old 01-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,071
Well, how much?
bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:05 AM   #4
grisezd OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Zipper, that's pretty cool. Where are you located? etc.

I'd put a chair on the Kaw 440 that we did a mild bob on last summer but I'm not sure it would last long with the 400lb plus chair I'd have to pull.
grisezd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:23 AM   #5
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
I'm very interested in this as well. I'm doing the mental debate between a Ural, and a KLR with a sidecar (maybe DMC...not sure). To me it seems like a 650 thumper would have similar power as the Ural, but would likely have better gearing, or at least the flexibility to change gearing through a sprocket swap.

Which brings up another question: it seems like chain & sprocket wear would be accelerated due to the constant extra weight of a sidecar. Anyone have any comments about this?

'14 KLR650 New Edition
SOLD: '13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:59 AM   #6
hahnda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
A hacked KLR or similar type bike is very different from the Ural. You can use them pretty much the same way the handling is very different. A big single with a Velorex sidecar is not quite as stable around the right-handers as the Ural is. Taller bike and lighter sidecar equate to the sidecar wanting to lift in the turn. With a passenger or with some weight in the chair things are much better.

Neither one will be a great out on the hwy but both are excellent for back roads and dirt roads or whatever you want to throw at them. With the Ural you also have the option of getting a 2WD model. Ural has less ground clearance than a KLR if that matters.

Bikes have a totally different look. The Ural is, well its a Ural. If you like vintage you like the Ural.

If a Ural were to drag race a big single I think the big single would win. I only have experience with the KLR as far as singles go but it still has plenty of power with a sidecar on it to be fun. On the latest install the bike did get a sprocket change on the front to one less tooth then stock. It did sacrifice a bit at top end but I think it was a good choice.

A KLR650 (or DR650) rig could be put together for about $4000 or less. $2000 bike. $1200 used sidecar. $800 subframe and misc parts that you might need. At a minimum I like to add at least a fork brace to the front end. Maybe raising links in the rear and heavier progressive spring in the forks.

I had the latest KLR rig leave out of the shop last Friday and a Ural in the shop for a bit of maintenance on Saturday. The Ural came 100 miles in temps of -5F for his yearly once over. The bike is his winter mode of transportation. No car.

Here is a video of a ride on the recent KLR install.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkZ8oqXMX1U

Ural in for service.

Heidenau Tires
hahnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #7
DavePave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
The hunt begins.....

I have a DR650 that I am very pleased with. Iíve never driven a Ural other than a quick test drive.
The two species are different, but related animals. The KLR and DR have very similar power to a Ural (about 40 HP). A Honda single will out-perform any of the other three. They are better equipped from the factory Ė larger valves, better breathing, etc .
While Iíve seen DRís and KLRís with hacks, Iíve not yet seen a Honda 650 single with one. Not that they donít exist, Iíve just never encountered one.
Donít feel limited to a 650 thumper either. If you are just going out on back roads virtually any bike with decent ground clearance and an appropriate engine and tires will do as well. If youíre going into the rough stuff, then perhaps a single 650 or even a 2WD Ural is called for. You can even modify suspensions and drive gearing as necessary on the Japanese singles Ė donít know how easy or expensive that is on a Ural.
Anyway, take your time - look around. Below is a link to one I wanted to get, just because I wanted a Sputnik sidecar. Thereís lots around, take your time and look. I am fairly certain you can get where you want and within your budgetÖ..
http://nwct.craigslist.org/bar/3514202380.html
Good huntingÖ..
DavePave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #8
hahnda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
DavePage brings up a good point. Almost any rig can be made somewhat off road capable just as long as you aren't concerned with paint chips and scrapes. Below is my personal rat-rig. While it will do off-road it won't do it well. That is a picture of it stuck.

Heidenau Tires
hahnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
zipper421
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
cb750

im in syracuse