Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #16
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyMyBoy View Post
Ok, so I'm a longtime rider of a comfortable and refined Gold Wing 1800 and the ST1300 from Honda. For a variety of reasons (work, health, family) I took a break from motorcycling 2 years ago. My biggest complaint with my last bike, the Honda ST1300, was how big and heavy it was, and the heat it put out on my legs. I ride alone 99% of the time, though have a 6-year old daughter who I hope to bring with me when she's older and ready. Being a father now I also try to be more conservative in the $$ I spend on motorcycling -- I make a decent living, but there are tons of other needs I am trying to honor.

Have been dreaming about the Tiger 800XC since the day it was released and have enjoyed a few great demo rides. I am more than ready to get back into riding. I came upon a 2012 left over and committed to buying it, including applying for a loan and signing dmv paperwork, but have not yet picked up bike due to winter temps and dealer awaiting arrival of a couple of accessories. I have been incredibly excited and counting the days til I can bring it home.

Soooo . . . yesterday I happened to be near another dealer and decided to drop in. They had 2 Trophys, including one that is available for demos. Wow. I looked at it, and said, "Oh shit. That bike looks amazing . . ." Sat on it, spent about a half an hour admiring it and looking it over. I didn't demo it but have a chance to next week.

My Tiger should be ready early next week. I'm having second thoughts about going ahead with the sale. Maybe just nervousness about pulling the trigger on an actual motorcycle instead of having the freedom to fantasize about any one I'd like to fantasize about, and consider buying at some point in the future. I have LOVED the rides I took on the Tiger, and its lighter weight and simplicity make sense for most of the riding I will do. BUT the greater refinement and sophistication and comfort of the new Trophy cannot be denied.

I don't want to screw over the dealer I've committed to. I also don't have to buy a brand new motorcycle I am having second thoughts about. (Maybe I need to swear off ever looking at other motorcycles! Hah!)

Have considered talking with my wife about this. I fear she would laugh in my face or be pissed at me for being fickle.

I'm about 50 years old, was hoping this bike would be the one I'd keep for 5-10 years, or more.

The Trophy would easily be $7,000-8,000 more OTD, which I could pull off, but is a lot of money to me. Am also mindful of the frustrations I had with the ST1300, a bike which the Trophy has a lot in common with.

I feel like my options are:
Demo the Trophy early next week to see how it rides, then decide, and level with the dealer if I want to change which bike I buy
Forgot about the Trophy and enjoy the heck out of the Tiger 800

Suggestions? Wisdom?

Thanks.
Demo the Trophy before you decide (if you can) You may hate, you may love it. Thats a lot of money and explaining to do,you want to make the right decision. You will know what to do after the test ride.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:15 AM   #17
crazyman
Exiled to the swamp

Oddometer: 1,115
I bought the Tiger XC last year and have enjoyed riding it. If I had known the Trophy was due out, I might have waited and bought it instead. I did test ride one earlier this year. AMAZING bike. I was that close to trading my Tiger. That. Close.

I'm gonna have to wait a year or so before I buy another bike.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:15 AM   #18
JoeDuck
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 833
If weight is an issue you definitely want to ride the Trophy. I went from a Ducati 1198sp to a BMW R1200RT. To me the RT is a huge honking pig (slow speed and moving around the driveway - on the road its fine) and the Trophy is ~80lb more*.

*Per Triumph USA the stock Trophy is 662 lbs, Per BMW USAs site the RT is 580 lbs
Old 02-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #19
flyingz06 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
I rode both. The BMW is no comparison. Trophy wins in my opinion. Handling, engine, ergos
2008 Yamaha WR250
flyingz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #20
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyMyBoy View Post
Ok, so I'm a longtime rider of a comfortable and refined Gold Wing 1800 and the ST1300 from Honda. For a variety of reasons (work, health, family) I took a break from motorcycling 2 years ago. My biggest complaint with my last bike, the Honda ST1300, was how big and heavy it was, and the heat it put out on my legs. I ride alone 99% of the time, though have a 6-year old daughter who I hope to bring with me when she's older and ready. Being a father now I also try to be more conservative in the $$ I spend on motorcycling -- I make a decent living, but there are tons of other needs I am trying to honor.

Have been dreaming about the Tiger 800XC since the day it was released and have enjoyed a few great demo rides. I am more than ready to get back into riding. I came upon a 2012 left over and committed to buying it, including applying for a loan and signing dmv paperwork, but have not yet picked up bike due to winter temps and dealer awaiting arrival of a couple of accessories. I have been incredibly excited and counting the days til I can bring it home.

Soooo . . . yesterday I happened to be near another dealer and decided to drop in. They had 2 Trophys, including one that is available for demos. Wow. I looked at it, and said, "Oh shit. That bike looks amazing . . ." Sat on it, spent about a half an hour admiring it and looking it over. I didn't demo it but have a chance to next week.

My Tiger should be ready early next week. I'm having second thoughts about going ahead with the sale. Maybe just nervousness about pulling the trigger on an actual motorcycle instead of having the freedom to fantasize about any one I'd like to fantasize about, and consider buying at some point in the future. I have LOVED the rides I took on the Tiger, and its lighter weight and simplicity make sense for most of the riding I will do. BUT the greater refinement and sophistication and comfort of the new Trophy cannot be denied.

I don't want to screw over the dealer I've committed to. I also don't have to buy a brand new motorcycle I am having second thoughts about. (Maybe I need to swear off ever looking at other motorcycles! Hah!)

Have considered talking with my wife about this. I fear she would laugh in my face or be pissed at me for being fickle.

I'm about 50 years old, was hoping this bike would be the one I'd keep for 5-10 years, or more.

The Trophy would easily be $7,000-8,000 more OTD, which I could pull off, but is a lot of money to me. Am also mindful of the frustrations I had with the ST1300, a bike which the Trophy has a lot in common with.

I feel like my options are:
Demo the Trophy early next week to see how it rides, then decide, and level with the dealer if I want to change which bike I buy
Forgot about the Trophy and enjoy the heck out of the Tiger 800

Suggestions? Wisdom?

Thanks.
First, I'd say you need to honestly analyze what you plan to do with your new bike. Long rides or short? Touring, communting, day or weekend camping trips, etc? If you're only going to own one bike, I'd make it lean toward the riding I was going to be doing most. Mostly day or weekend trips plus commuting in traffic and general daily use, I'd buy the Tiger (I've owned a 800 Roadie). Mostly longer distance touring or freeway commuting, I'd pick the Trophy. I have a little reservation about the sheer width and bulk of the front portion of that machine, but overall it's a fantastic package.

I'm older than you, my son is grown, I'm retired and have time to tour when I want. I also can afford more than one bike, so I have around town bikes and a dedicated touring bike. But when I was younger and felt that I could only justify the expense of one bike, it was always more of an all around machine like the Tiger. That type of bike was more useful to me since I rarely got to do much long distance touring. And the Tiger will do that too, just not as comfortably as the Trophy.
davevv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #21
charliebrown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Is there any way to mount highway pegs on the Trophy? I have a set of Iliumworks on my RT which allows me to stretch out my legs on those longer rides. Otherwise I need to stop after a hundred miles or so to give my knees a break and then stop again every 20 or 30 miles for more relief. I'm not enamored with the boxer engine, so the triple in the Trophy has really caught my interest. I took a look recently at the Chicago motorcycle show but couldn't see very well inside the side fairing. If I can add some highway pegs and have the triple engine, then the Trophy will be my next bike.
charliebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #22
David Shapiro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
How was the gruntiness of the engine? I've come close to pulling the trigger on the K1600 (see the other thread that I started) but I find the Trophy to be very interesting.

David
David Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #23
Phineas Whipsnake
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Question

Hey, Flyingz06,
As a fellow FJR rider, how is your comparison of the two? I've sat on a couple of Trophies, and think they're beautiful. I was struck by it's sheer heft, and am trying to somehow justify the switch, although I can't find any fault with my FJR for my personal riding style. What's your take on the riding characteristics of both machines?
Phineas Whipsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:17 PM   #24
DIRTSCOOTER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
New Trophy

Put my deposit on one coming in April, looking forward to it.

Hoping to sell my GSA before it gets here.

2013 Triumph Trophy

'05 drz s/sm
DIRTSCOOTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #25
Kerfuffle
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Shapiro View Post
How was the gruntiness of the engine? I've come close to pulling the trigger on the K1600 (see the other thread that I started) but I find the Trophy to be very interesting.
I was looking at the Trophy as an alternative to the RT. I've spent almost a week on a rented RT (no RR, didn't take enough photos, dumb) and really liked it except for the engine. The Trophy aims to cure that, taking the RT's recipe, adding Triple goodness and making it the Triumph way. And I think they have mostly succeeded - its more than a better-engined RT, although it falls short in some areas. But it is a good challenger to the RT.

And then I rode the K16GT Trust me, if you think the Trophy's engine is powerful, smooth and are happy, DON'T ride the K16. If the K16 is "up to 11" in those areas. Just sayin.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #26
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingz06 View Post
I rode both. The BMW is no comparison. Trophy wins in my opinion. Handling, engine, ergos
As an owner of both marques, I can believe the Triumph wins on engine. Ergos maybe, but handling? Have to call bullshit.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #27
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 273
Passed one on I-95 riding to Orlando from Savannah, GA and thought it a very nice looking touring bike in person. I still have the hots for a Connie but the Trophy looks the part.

-Jake
Old 04-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #28
flyingz06 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonoklass View Post
As an owner of both marques, I can believe the Triumph wins on engine. Ergos maybe, but handling? Have to call bullshit.
Yes, better than the RT, close to K1600
2008 Yamaha WR250
flyingz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:51 AM   #29
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,443
How effective is the screen on the Trophy?
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #30
bug67
Hazard Avoidance

Oddometer: 715
Shake down...

Finally took delivery of the new Trophy. Really loving it! That engine is so smooth! The triples that Triumph produces really are second to none. They are what ruined every other bike for me.

So, The S.O. and I (it being her birthday) got to enjoy one of the most beautiful Alaskan Spring days we've had so far. The bike performed flawlessly! Couple things: turns out I DID NOT get a launch edition. What that means is, I don't have hot grips installed. The switch is there and the notifier pops up on the dash but, they are not installed. My dealer informed me, however, informed me that they are on order and will be installing them free of charge! Another thing is, this tech on this thing is a little overwhelming. I'm no slouch when it comes to configuring gadgets but, I can't figure out how to get the stereo synced up to play through our Schuberth helmets. No biggie. I'll figure it out. The last little niggle is, sometimes, when I switch the ignition off and then back on, the stereo becomes "not available." It's happened to me twice. I've had to pull the 10 amp fuse and plug it back in and all is well after. I didn't have to do this all week end. I kinda shouldn't have to do it at all though and it is a little disconcerting.

Other than those minor issues, the bike really is wonderful. I love the on the fly adjustable suspension! The bike has SO MUCH power and torque. 2 up, the thing performed like it was way lighter than it is. Overall, I am extremely happy with this as a touring bike. But, it is a Triumph and I am biased!

Oh, yeah

Check it out: http://www.vegetablesandwich.com
"If you are going through hell, keep going." -Winston Churchill

bug67 screwed with this post 04-30-2013 at 11:37 AM
bug67 is offline   Reply With Quote